Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 April 2011
After liking 2 of Katy B's 3 singles i couldn't wait to get my hands on her long awaited debut album and it was definitely worth the wait, the so called "queen of dubstep' has delivered one of the best debut albums i've heard in a while encompassing the likes of not just dubstep but 90's style garage and deep house as well.

The first 3 tracks are actually the weakest on the album in my opinion, i was never really fan of Kayt's debut single "Katy on a mission" but many will no doubt disagree, things really step up a gear from "Witches brew" a sort of drum and bass pop hybrid which wouldn't sound out of place on a girls aloud album. "Movement" likewise is a great bouncy number with a catchy chorus. "Go away" is a lovely dubstep ballad and "Disappear" delves into broken beat territory and is another slower number. New single "Broken record" with it's sped up funky drummer break is another highlight and 2nd single "Lights on" ft ms dynamite evokes 90's style garage with an infectious melody. One of my favourite tracks though is "Perfect Stranger" with a slow verse structure and frantic drum and bass chorus with a great hook. One of the most interesting tracks is the very last song "Hard to get" a lovely deep house track, i'd personally like to Katy delve more into this arena on future albums as if this track is anything to go she seems very comfortable in this arena.

Rinse Fm's geenus and zinc who originally took a gamble on Katy years back developing her career must be given credit for the great production on this album and developing her talents.

By far the best album i've heard do far this year, you can keep your Adele's, Give me Katy anyday!

4/5
Katy B's debut album On A Mission has received great praise for "bringing dubstep to the mainstream" but when you pick this album up for a listen, what follows is Katy B pretty much carving out her own genre and creating a new sound as it's somewhere in between.

The singles "On a Mission" and "Lights Out" have received lots of airplay and it's easy to see why, with infectiously catchy vocals and solid dubstep-inspired electro-beats there is little not to like. Whether you're getting ready to head out, dancing your head off already or simply tapping your toes on the bus, Katy B's stylings are more than suitable. She has an incredible voice and really can sing, choosing to leave her voice single-tracked in some places and never hiding behind post-processing electrified vocals like so many other chart artists today.

But it's not all aggressive 'grimy' electronic dub step, a couple of the tracks such as "Go Away" & "Easy Please Me" have underground-inspired beats but are actually a lot more melancholy than the genre usually allows and this is really refreshing and innovative.

An impressive debut album, highly recommended and I look forward to more from Katy B!!
on 12 July 2015
Katy B is one of the few genuine artists that are around today. She has genuine talent and is not obsessed with putting out a mega selling album every five seconds like many modern artists. Her first album blew me away when I first listened to it in April 2011. Although I was only just 24 at the time I basically was allergic to any music past 1995 except for trance but when I listened to this album I found that a young person could actually make a decent album in todays world, something that I would credit very few people with.

All of the songs on the album are good but Number 1 on my CD Power on me and Easy please me are my favourite's along with witches brew as this is just such fun, if you like a boy a lot you just wish you could do that. But the track that blows my mind is Easy please me as the vocals and the lyrics on this song were amazing and I just loved the line "no boy is on the level believe me" THAT COULD NOT BE MORE TRUE and I just totally found a friend in this song. Also the sound on Easy please me blew me away as it sounded like a fusion of modern Dub-step and early eighties new romantics, the electronics and synthase sound came across as very similar to sounds from say 1981 (particularly the intro) let alone 2011. Overall I was thoroughly impressed by the originality of this album as well as being an incredible dance and electronic modern masterpiece.
on 3 September 2013
This album gets better and better every time I hear it! Bought as was a fan of some of the singles released. Even my husband likes it and this type of music isn't normally his style. Katy B has a great voice and writes great lyrics. A must have for any fan.
on 28 August 2012
There's an immediate warmth to Katy B that so many other young singers lack - obviously, she is happy to be alive. The production is good, the A and R terrific and it actually got me dancing on a Tuesday morning - not bad.
on 7 February 2014
bought as a valentines gift for my partner who enjoyed the songs of this artist without knowing who she was. this cd helped fill in the blanks
on 18 May 2011
This was good in that there's lots of variety on the album and more tracks than artists can usually bother to put on albums these days (12) However, it was a bit of a disappointment for me, with a very late 90s sound (maybe she did that on purpose though..?) that I felt like I've heard before. I loved the famous songs that she has released, which are absolutely brilliant but not enough blew me away. It's a great record to buy if you need something to exercise to as it's so up-tempo.
on 8 April 2011
I can't believe I was even thinking twice about buying this album, it's one of the best purchases I've made all year. There isn't a bad song on the album and the songs are all very unique and cover several different genres. My personal favourite is Witches Brew which I have listened to 67 times since buying the album according to iTunes. I am really excited about Katy B and think she deserves masses of credit for this amazing album.
on 7 April 2011
I have been very excited about this album and have waited in anticipation for it's release. In my opinion Katy B is the most exciting artist to come out of the UK for a long time. Her sound is very London, underground and raw. The album productions are a mix of dubstep, garage, drum & base, dance, and Katy's vocals have an RnB feel. The hard beats with Katy's soft vocals are right up my street. I really enjoyed 'power with me' which is the first track on the album. A lot of hard work has gone into the productions and her vocals. I heard her sing 'broken record' live and she hits every note perfectly.

In the past I have bought so many albums but now I only buy a few good ones each year. I think this album is a great first album for Katy B and a huge achievement and definitely the best album I'll buy this year. Although artists like Adele and Tinnie Tempah are great, Katy B has captured a unique sound and has taken it to a wider audience. The tracks on the album do not follow a 'predictable' pop pattern, the beats change and her vocals are exciting. I just cant big this album up enough.

I hope Katy B keeps to what she's doing now and gets better and better at it. I'd hate to see her take the route of some of the other talented London artists who have de-railed and not really been able to pick themselves back up.

Well done Katy B and producers. Great Album!
on 9 December 2014
Love this album. I had bought it when it had originally been released but lost it so had to buy it again. I found it at a great price & I was very happy with the service so I will be buying from this seller again.