- Paperback: 269 pages
- Publisher: St Vladimir's Seminary Press,U.S.; 1st ed. edition (1 Jan. 1998)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0881411779
- ISBN-13: 978-0881411775
- Product Dimensions: 2.5 x 12.7 x 18.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 886,550 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
On the Dormition of Mary: Early Patristic Homilies Paperback – 1 Jan 1998
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
They draw out the early Church teachings that convey the long-standing assertion of such Marian doctrines as, the immaculate conception, perpetual virginity, and the dormition/assumption of Mary. But, in addition, they hold references to the primacy of Peter, apostolic succession, and sacred tradition. Contrary to popular belief, these homilies convey how fully formed these "Catholic" doctrines were very early on in the church.
But they are not only valuable in their historical significance but valuable in their example of solid catechesis in the context of passionate preaching. Solid catechesis need not be dry and dispassionate - on the contrary it should be vibrant and moving. Teachers and preachers would do well to hone their gifts by reading the great preachers and teachers that have gone before us. This would be a great place to start.
These are great homilies of the ancient faith that never ages. A must have for any early church library.