The Olympus VR-340: this Affordable and Stylish 10x Optical Power Zoom Just Got More 'Gripping'
Olympus proudly introduces the second generation of its eminently affordable power zoom. The camera benefits from a minor miracle of optical engineering, slotting a powerful lens seamlessly into a slim body. Everything from group portrait shots to candid close-ups can be captured in amazing quality. The latest model adds a brand new ‘smart grip’ with stylish retro design to help further enhance performance and banish blur.
As well as being a pleasure to handle, the VR-340 keeps the exquisite all-metal design of its predecessors. This is one camera that photographers of all skill sets will want to pick up and try. Best of all, it is so user friendly that you don’t need to worry about buttons and dials. Great results are delivered automatically, and for a fantastic price.
Get to Grips with 16 Megapixels, 720p HD Movies plus a 10x Super Wide Optical Zoom
Although compact in size, quality hasn’t been compromised. The new camera offers 16 megapixels, instead of 14, and 720p High Definition video, while the extremely versatile 10x optical zoom, in offering the wide angle equivalent of 24mm to 240mm in 35mm film terms, enables the VR-340 to stay true to Olympus’ remarkable photographic pedigree. And, when photographers zoom in for that close up, the added smart grip makes it a lot easier to hold the camera steady and avoid blurring the shot.
All This… Plus Dual Image Stabilisation
A bugbear of cameras with bigger than average zooms is the propensity for camera shake at longer focal lengths, when shooting handheld or in lower lighting conditions. Olympus therefore offers not one but two means of reducing the potentially damaging effects of image blur.
As a further help, light sensitivity settings between ISO80-1600 are also manually selectable. Alternatively, turn on the built-in flash.
Seven Magic Filters for Turning the Everyday into the Extraordinary
Specifically designed to expand the creative potential of digital photography, this impressive function of the VR-340 utilises in-camera image processing technology to effortlessly transform the everyday into extraordinary scenes. Simple to operate, the filters allow users to create entirely new worlds with their images. From vibrant colours and pencil drawings to mysterious or rounded perspectives, artistic spirits can magically turn ideas into reality… In addition all but one of the Magic Filters can be used for video clips as well as stills.
Users can choose from Punk, Pop Art, Pin Hole, Drawing, Fish Eye, Soft Focus or Sparkle.
- Punk: Pose like Sid and Nancy and have your world turned dayglo, with this fun feature that transforms your photos into crudely photocopied fanzine style images, but in a good way.
- Pop Art: In the tradition of Andy Warhol, this effect enhances colours, making them stronger and more vivid. It creates high-impact pictures that express the happy, light-hearted feeling of the pop art style.
- Fish-Eye: With its distorted 180-degree perspective, this filter reproduces the dramatic effect of a fish-eye lens. It lends a new perspective to the whole scene with a “round” effect.
- Drawing: This filter gives the impression that subjects have been sketched on the fly by an artist just at the moment that inspiration struck. Images are transformed into line drawings for improvised, creative results.
- Pin Hole: For an ethereal feel, Pin Hole reduces the peripheral brightness of images like an image seen through a pinhole. Added to this is a unique colour tone that results in a style that has an air of secrecy or portrays the feeling of being lost in another dimension or space.
- Soft Focus: Give your portraits that romantic otherworldly look beloved of wedding photographers.
- Sparkle: Well, you can never have enough sparkle in your life, can you? A photos only Magic Filter that truly imparts a sprinkling of fairy dust, adding twinkling reflections to shiny objects.
Big and Bright LCD Screen
The Olympus VR-340 offers a large 3-inch, 460,800 dot high resolution LCD screen for framing and reviewing your photos. This means that sharing shots on the spot with family and friends is not only a possibility but also a real pleasure.
SDHC, SDXC and Wireless Eye-Fi Card Compatible
Connectivity is also enhanced by the VR-340 being compatible with widely available SDHC and SDXC media cards. Eye-Fi card compatibility also allows for automatic cable-free uploading of images.
Full Metal Jacket
Unexpected in this eminently affordable price category is a robust full metal camera body, yet a super slender design with the lens retracted. This enables the Olympus VR-340 to deliver both style and substance in one desirable package.
Intelligent Automatic Mode (i-Auto)
Taking a great picture with the Olympus VR-340 is as easy as pointing and shooting, thanks to i-Auto mode. This compares common scenes and subjects with on board settings and automatically selects the most appropriate to deliver stunning results that optimize the impact of said subject.
Automatic Aids Make Life Easy
Additional picture enhancing aids include Shadow Adjustment Technology, AF tracking, Face Detection, Scene modes (for example, Landscape, Night), and Beauty Make Up mode. The latter is ready when your subject is not and allows for adding fun make up effects to three people and banishing blemishes. So slip a VR in your pocket and you’re all set for photo excellence.
USB Battery Charging
Connect the camera to a computer and let the battery charge while you save and organise your images. If you own a laptop, this also makes it easy to charge the battery on the move or while you're travelling.
Quick Photo Surfing Thanks to Innovative Software
Thanks to [ib] software images can be browsed, organized, and viewed by person, place, location or event.
The Olympus VR-340 is available in silver, black, red or purple.