The Olympus VG-170: A brighter dawn for your photography with a flash that’s twice as powerful
Olympus introduces a new flagship model in its easy to use compact range with the illuminating advantage of a best in class flash that is nearly four times as powerful as that found on a regular compact camera, and offers twice the range.
This brighter-than-average bulb is capable of lighting up faces 15 metres away in wide-angle setting. What’s more, in Long Flash mode the camera will trade off megapixels against ISO sensitivity so that it is automatically set up to deliver the best results in low light photography. The result is great looking pictures even in otherwise tricky lighting conditions.
14 megapixels, 5x wide optical zoom plus Digital Image Stabilisation
The VG-170 delivers the quality and feature set you would expect of an Olympus. It includes a high resolution for bigger enlargements, creatively broad focal range equivalent to a wide 26-130mm in 35mm film terms for flexibility in framing, plus effective anti shake to reduce blur when shooting handheld and in lower light. Light sensitivity settings between ISO80-1600 are also manually selectable. Alternatively turn on the built-in flash.
Massive matchless flash helps make light work
Among the most commonly used functions on a compact camera, a good quality built-in flash can mean the difference between getting a great quality photograph in low light or none at all. The big flash on the VF-170 is therefore capable of providing a big, big improvement in your photography.
Put simply it offers twoice the power of its nearest rival, which means it offers twice the range. In technical terms the VG-170’s Guide Number is 8.8, compared with 4 to 5.6 for regular digital compacts.
Nine Magic Filters for turning the everyday into the extraordinary
Specifically designed to expand the creative potential of digital photography, this impressive function of the VG-170 utilises in-camera image processing technology to effortlessly transform the everyday into extraordinary scenes. Simple to operate, the filters allow users to create entirely new worlds with their images. From vibrant colours and pencil drawings to mysterious or rounded perspectives, artistic spirits can magically turn ideas into reality, for both still photos and video.
Users can choose from Punk, Pop Art, Pin Hole, Drawing, Fish Eye, Soft Focus, Sparkle and new additions Watercolour and Reflection.
- Punk: Pose like Sid and Nancy and have your world turned dayglo, with this fun feature that transforms your photos into crudely photocopied fanzine style images, but in a good way.
- Pop Art: In the tradition of Andy Warhol, this effect enhances colours, making them stronger and more vivid. It creates high-impact pictures that express the happy, light-hearted feeling of the pop art style.
- Fish-Eye: With its distorted 180-degree perspective, this filter reproduces the dramatic effect of a fish-eye lens. It lends a new perspective to the whole scene with a "round" effect.
- Drawing: This filter gives the impression that subjects have been sketched on the fly by an artist just at the moment that inspiration struck. Images are transformed into line drawings for improvised, creative results.
- Pin Hole: For an ethereal feel, Pin Hole reduces the peripheral brightness of images like an image seen through a pinhole. Added to this is a unique colour tone that results in a style that has an air of secrecy or portrays the feeling of being lost in another dimension or space.
- Soft Focus: Give your portraits that romantic otherworldly look beloved of wedding photographers.
- Sparkle: Well, you can never have enough sparkle in your life, can you? A photos-only Magic Filter that truly imparts a sprinkling of fairy dust.
- Watercolour: One of two new filters on this model. Turn your photos into watercolour-like ‘paintings’.
- Reflection: Second of two new Magic Filters.
3D photo shooting mode
The VG-170 incorporates the latest must haves. These include a 3D shooting mode that produces striking stills that can be shared on 2D devices and regular TVs. Simply turn on the new Red and Cyan 3D feature before you take the picture.
Classic retro design and fantastic value for money
With its slim and stylish body and enticing retro design the range topping VG-170 is also incredible value for money, making it an ideal choice for the photographer who just wants to point and shoot and let the camera do the rest. Placing its manufacturer’s renowned expertise in the hands of the everyman, this VG series camera is truly Very Good.
High Definition movie recording
Just one press of the red button and users of the Olympus VG-170 can be instantly recording 720p High Definition video clips, no matter which shooting mode has previously been selected. So what chance of missing that special moment? No chance!
Big and bright LCD screen
The Olympus VG-170 offers a large 3-inch, high-resolution 460,000-dot LCD screen for framing and reviewing your photos. This means that sharing shots on the spot with family and friends is not only a possibility but also a real pleasure.
Effortless image making, wireless image transfer
Featuring automatic aids like AF Tracking, Intelligent Auto Mode (i-Auto), Scene Modes (including Landscape, Night), Beauty mode for banishing blemishes, Face Detection and Shadow Adjustment Technology, perfect focus and exposure is guaranteed for any given subject.
Also offering high capacity SDHC and SDXC media card compatibility so you never run out of storage space, plus Eye-Fi card compatibility for wireless image transfer when you want it, slip a VG in your pocket and you’re all set for photo excellence.
USB Battery Charging
Connect the camera to a computer and let the battery charge while you save and organise your images. The supplied super-compact AC adaptor also makes it easy to charge the battery while you're travelling.
In-camera help and features you can trust to deliver
The VG-170 features an in-camera help guide so that even the least experienced family members can rapidly get to grips with the best of what the camera has to offer.
Quick photo surfing thanks to innovative software
Thanks to [ib] software images can be browsed, organized, and viewed by person, place, location or event.
Smart and flashy with it, the Olympus VG-170 is available in black, white or red.