The Olympus TOUGH TG-1: a Toughened Camera that True Photographers Can Love
Rugged cameras sometimes put self-protection first and image quality second; but not Olympus' flagship TOUGH model, the TG-1. This camera boasts remarkable features as well as the capability to deliver remarkable pictures, with a bright/fast f2.0 aperture lens and a body capable of surviving a dunking to depths of 12 metres.
The TG-1 is ideal for capturing pictures in the permanent twilight closer to the ocean floor. An optional adapter waterproof fisheye and tele converter lenses are also available to really extend creativity.
Engineered to excel whatever the shooting conditions, the all-metal TG-1 TOUGH is reassuringly waterproof, freezeproof, shockproof and crushproof. So, whether you find yourself on the slopes of an alpine mountain or exploring the depths of a tropical lagoon, the TG-1 is a must for worry-free photography and achieving one of a kind pictures.
Not Just Brawn but Brains, Too
The TG-1 is packed with innovative features such as the Olympus iHS technology, focused on intelligence, high sensitivity and high speed. The colour rich, high contrast and anti reflective OLED display also aids visibility, while the GPS and an Electronic Compass help you navigate and recall where each image was shot.
The three new shooting modes (Low Light, Super Sports, and Super Macro) make it tough to get anything other than an excellent-quality image, making the TG-1 your perfect ready-for-anything travel companion.
Pushing the Boundaries of Toughened Cameras' Picture Quality
The high-quality lens incorporated into the TOUGH TG-1 is combined with a powerful TruePic VI image processor and a 12-megapixel low noise, as well as a high sensitivity CMOS sensor.
The TG-1 also features technology found in the Olympus PEN camera range, such as the FAST AF system. This ensures that even in a fast-changing shooting scenario you will get the image or even Full HD video clip you were aiming for.
A Camera with the Power for Conversion
The Olympus TG-1 allows the attachment of optional conversion lenses, via an adapter.
Achieve even wider, perspective-distorting dynamic images courtesy of a waterproof fisheye converter, or get dramatic close-ups and portraits with a professional-looking shallow depth of field/background blur via a tele converter, with the power to increase the camera's own zoom power by 6.8x. The camera's Super Resolution Zoom feature this increased this further to 13.6x.
The Proof is in the Proofing
Excellent image quality with added peace of mind, that's the pitch for the TG-1. The camera is crush-proof and able to withstand a force of 100kg. It's also waterproof to 12 metres, shock-proofed against drops from two metres in height, and freezeproof to minus 10°C.
The above is achieved, in part, thanks to a sliding double lock mechanism and metal body ensuring optimum protection for battery, card slots and ports. The hard glass lens barrier also allows extra tough lens protection, thanks to its water-repellent and scratch-resistant double seal technology.
But no matter how reassuringly rugged the camera is, picture quality doesn't come a poor second. Low Light Mode automatically increases the shutter speed to avoid blur resulting from camera shake when conditions are dimmer, while Super Macro Mode lets the user zoom in for stunning close ups just 1cm from the lens.
TAP Control for Ease of Use – Even When Wearing Gloves
Not just a great looking gadget, the TG-1 has been built with practicality in mind. An improved TAP Control Mode allows this TOUGH camera to be controlled via a tap or tilt of the body, which is ideal for anyone with wet fingers or wearing gloves.
An integral GPS antenna and e-compass with unique three-sensor technology provides orientation and key information at a glance, with an on-board manometer for checking depth underwater. A LED illuminator provides a means of illuminating underwater scenes or spotlighting close-up subjects.
Flexibility and Precision
The 4x ultra wide optical zoom, equivalent to 25-100mm in 35mm film terms, provides the scope for both precision and flexibility, while the 3-inch, high 610,000 dot resolution OLED screen allows for accurate shot composition and crystal clear playback, with OLED technology providing enhanced contrast, brightness and angle of view.
The TG-1 additionally incorporates all the comprehensive features you would expect to find in an Olympus digital camera.
These include a powerful TruePic VI image processing engine, Multi-Motion Movie IS (image stabilisation) for reduced blur when recoding video whilst walking, plus HDR Backlight Adjustment for ideal exposure when shooting against the light.
Added to this is Face Detection technology, for perfect portraits, Pet Detection, Beauty Make-up mode for unwanted blemishes, Intelligent Auto Mode (i-Auto), AF Tracking, Shadow Adjustment Technology, ISO100 to ISO6400 light sensitivity, and in-camera panorama for quick and easy panorama shot. As if that wasn't enough, scene mode settings are included to provide an optimum performance in specific conditions, and include Landscape, Night and Underwater Snapshot.
Dual Image Stabilisation
The Optical Image Stabilisation uses a built-in gyro sensor and microprocessor to detect camera movement and to adjust the CCD accordingly, while the Digital Image Stabilisation automatically increases ISO sensitivity to allow shorter shutter speeds. Both of these help avoiding image blur caused by camera shake or by fast-moving objects. There's also a built-in flash to fall back on.
The Olympus TOUGH TG-1 is enhanced by optional 3D shooting mode, lending images a striking sense of depth, from close-up macro shots to expansive landscapes. This mode captures two shots from two different angles to create shots that can be viewed on a 3D compatible display.
Intelligent Automatic Mode (i-Auto)
Taking a great picture with the TG-1 is as easy as pointing and shooting, thanks to the i-Auto mode. This mode compares common scenes and subjects with the on-board settings and automatically selects the most appropriate, delivering stunning results.
1080p Full HD Movie Capability
The TG-1's Full HD movie mode uses the advanced Motion JPEG movie compression format at a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels for excellent quality video with sound.
12 Magic Filters for Turning the Everyday into the Extraordinary
Specifically designed to expand the creative potential of digital photography, this impressive function of the TG-1 utilises in-camera image processing technology to effortlessly transform the everyday into extraordinary scenes. Simple to operate, the filters allow users to create entirely new worlds with their images. What's more, most of the filters can be used when recording video (except Fragmented and Sparkle) too.
Users can choose from a variety of filters:
- Punk: Pose like Sid and Nancy and have your world turned dayglo pink, with this fun feature that transforms your photos into crudely photocopied fanzine style images, but in a good way.
- Pop Art: In the tradition of Andy Warhol, this effect enhances colours, making them stronger and more vivid. It creates high-impact pictures that express the happy, light-hearted feeling of the pop art style.
- Fish-Eye: With its distorted 180-degree perspective, this filter reproduces the dramatic effect of a fish-eye lens. It lends a new perspective to the whole scene with a "round" effect.
- Drawing: This filter gives the impression that subjects have been sketched on the fly by an artist just at the moment that inspiration struck. Images are transformed into line drawings for improvised, creative results.
- Pin Hole: For an ethereal feel, Pin Hole reduces the peripheral brightness of images like an image seen through a pinhole. Added to this is a unique colour tone that results in a style that has an air of secrecy or portrays the feeling of being lost in another dimension or space.
- Soft Focus: Give your portraits that romantic otherworldly look beloved of wedding photographers.
- Sparkle (photos only): A Magic Filter that truly imparts a sprinkling of fairy dust, adding twinkling reflections to shiny objects.
- Watercolour: With this option pictures are transformed into a watercolour painting framed by soft light.
- Reflection: A simulation of a magical horizontal reflection of your subject, as if they were standing next to perfectly still water.
- Miniature: Capture your subject and present them as if on a toy town scale.
- Fragmented (photos only): Lends photographs a tiled, collage-like effect, as if an image has been cut up and reassembled.
- Dramatic: Enhances detail in shadows and skies to provide greater impact and drama to the everyday.
Quick Photo Surfing Thanks to Innovative Software
Thanks to [ib] software, images can be browsed, organised, and viewed by person, place, location or event. There's also an in-camera help guide if you do get stuck.
Eye-Fi Card Compatible
Looking for the ability to wirelessly transfer your images? Then look no further than the TG-1, which offers compatibility with the Eye-Fi range of media cards.
USB Battery Charging
Connect the camera to a computer and let the battery charge while you save and organise your images.