The Olympus SZ-31MR: Flagship 24x 'Super Zoom' nudges further ahead via Touch LCD and image enhancing iHS technologies
Want a big zoom but not a bulky camera? With its 24x optical zoom remaining an impressive feat of modern engineering, the new range topping Olympus SZ-31MR travel zoom comes with the lightest, smallest and dare we suggest cutest body of any compact to boast a optical zoom beyond 20x. Furthermore we believe it records the best quality moving pictures of any pocket-sized camera available today. And the SZ-31MR retains another Olympus first: the ability to capture Full HD 1080 movies and 16 megapixel stills simultaneously.
Compared to the previous generation model the Olympus SZ-31MR boasts faster AF, a brighter LCD, plus its ingenious and innovative features including Multi Framing and Live Guide have been further refined to make them even easier to use.
Added to this, powerful new technologies under the banner heading of 'iHS' (Intelligence, High Sensitivity and High Speed) make it possible to capture great shots in formerly challenging situations, such as in low light or when shooting subjects which are backlit. ISO 80 to ISO6400 is further offered. Alternatively turn on the built-in flash.
Factor in video and stills capture at impressively high frame rates and the ability to replay photo slideshows with music and transitional effects and the SZ-31MR is a must have for anyone wanting a powerful camera in a pocket-friendly package.
Exceptional quality in any situation and in any format
Olympus' innovative new iHS technologies give the SZ-31MR the power to capture not only superb stills and video clips, but the two simultaneously. It draws on Olympus' 16-megapixel CMOS sensor and not the usual one but two separate TruePic V image processors, originally developed for DSLR cameras. Delivering high-speed shooting and high speed autofocus, iHS cuts down picture noise and enhances resolution and colour for tricky shooting scenarios such as quick moving subjects and night scenes.
Multi Recording and Multi Framing when married with the dual TruePic V image processors also provide photographers with the ability to do more than ever with the one camera, including shoot video and stills at the same time, two movies in different modes or capture the same scene with different framings. A simple tap on the 3-inch, 920k dot resolution LCD takes a photo while a recording is taking place without interrupting it.
Multi-motion Movie IS
The cutting edge technology of Multi Motion Movie IS works in tandem with Dual Image Stabilisation and complements the Olympus SZ-31MR's High Definition Movie capability by reducing blur. The result is that even when you're filming fast moving subjects and simultaneously on the move yourself, the resulting HD video is clear, crisp and vivid.
Of course IS can also be crucial for preventing blur when taking macro shots of small subjects or getting close in on subject matter from afar by deploying the full telephoto reach of the zoom.
A touch of class at every turn – and Live Guide too
As well as 16-megapixel CMOS sensor the Olympus SZ-31MR incorporates a slick, touch sensitive 3-inch, 920k dot resolution LCD into its stylishly compact body.
This does away with distracting buttons and provides access to unique Olympus system features such as its clever Live Guide. With the camera in i-Auto mode, this makes it easier for less experienced users to adjust the likes of depth of field – the portion of the image that is sharply in focus – plus brightness, merely by swiping a finger across an on-screen slider bar.
Touch Shutter allows the user to focus on and photograph any subject simply by touching where they appear on the LCD. Touch AF meanwhile as it sounds focuses automatically on any subject that is touched, and they remain in focus even if they move.
24x wide optical zoom & 16-megapixel resolution
Although compact in size, like its predecessor quality hasn't been compromised. Offering a focal range the equivalent of 25-600mm in 35mm film terms that stays true to Olympus' remarkable world class pedigree, users of the metal bodied SZ-31MR can zoom right in on close detail from afar without having to physically take one step nearer. A 16-megapixel resolution also helps ensure that shots are detail rich every time, while a Super resolution Zoom digitally extends the capabilities of the existing zoom with little loss in picture quality.
12 Magic Filters for turning the everyday into the extraordinary
Specifically designed to expand the creative potential of digital photography, this impressive function of the SZ-31MR utilises in-camera image processing technology to effortlessly transform the everyday into extraordinary scenes. Simple to operate, the filters allow users to create entirely new worlds with their images. From vibrant colours and pencil drawings to mysterious or rounded perspectives, artistic spirits can magically turn ideas into reality. What's more, most of the filters can be used when recording video as well as shooting stills.
Users can choose from Punk, Pop Art, Pin Hole, Drawing, Fish Eye, Soft Focus, Sparkle (photos only), Watercolour, Miniature, Reflection, Fragmented (photos only) and Dramatic (photos only).
- Punk: Pose like Sid and Nancy and have your world turned dayglo pink, with this fun feature that transforms your photos into crudely photocopied fanzine style images, but in a good way.
- Pop Art: In the tradition of Andy Warhol, this effect enhances colours, making them stronger and more vivid. It creates high-impact pictures that express the happy, light-hearted feeling of the pop art style.
- Fish-Eye: With its distorted 180-degree perspective, this filter reproduces the dramatic effect of a fish-eye lens. It lends a new perspective to the whole scene with a “round” effect.
- Drawing: This filter gives the impression that subjects have been sketched on the fly by an artist just at the moment that inspiration struck. Images are transformed into line drawings for improvised, creative results.
- Pin Hole: For an ethereal feel, Pin Hole reduces the peripheral brightness of images like an image seen through a pinhole. Added to this is a unique colour tone that results in a style that has an air of secrecy or portrays the feeling of being lost in another dimension or space.
- Soft Focus: Give your portraits that romantic otherworldly look beloved of wedding photographers.
- Sparkle: A photos only Magic Filter that truly imparts a sprinkling of fairy dust, adding twinkling reflections to shiny objects.
- Watercolour: With this option pictures are transformed into a watercolour painting framed by soft light.
- Fragmented: This newest photos-only filter can be applied to a photo of a landscape or people to produce a collage of tiles that looks as if the photo has been cut up and reassembled, providing an almost three dimensional feel.
- Reflection: A simulation of a magical horizontal reflection of your subject: for example as if it or they were standing next to perfectly still water.
- Miniature: Capture your subject and present them as if on a toy town scale.
- Dramatic: A photos only Magic Filter that adds a sense of drama and foreboding to any shot for stunning results even on the dullest of days.
Eye-Fi card compatible
Connectivity is also enhanced by the Olympus SZ-31MR being compatible with Eye-Fi media cards, enabling automatic wireless downloading of pictures, straight to your desktop, and facilitating photo sharing. Of course the camera is also compatible with regular SDHC and SDXC media cards.
Automatic aids help deliver better pictures easier
Automatic aids to further perfect picture taking include Face Detection and Shadow Adjustment Technology to ensure perfect focus and exposure for any given subject. Then there's HDR Backlight Adjustment to deploy when shooting against the light, and Handheld Starlight mode for shake free results when photographing at night without a tripod.
Add in Olympus' intelligent auto mode (i-Auto) and AF tracking for easy setting and focusing, Beauty mode for zapping zits, Pet Detection mode for automatically capturing the facial expressions of dogs and cats when they look at the camera, Scene Mode for optimal results in common conditions plus a high speed continuous shooting mode offering up to 60fps if opting for 3 megapixel mode and the SZ-31MR is a camera that is more than the sum of its parts.
3D photo shooting & in-camera Panorama feature
The Olympus range is now enhanced by optional 3D shooting mode, lending images a striking sense of depth. This mode captures two shots from two different angles to create shots that can be viewed on a 3D compatible display.
An in-camera Panorama mode further allows for images with drama and beauty combined.
Quick photo surfing thanks to innovative software
Thanks to [ib] software images shot with the Olympus SZ-31MR can be browsed, organized, and viewed by person, place, location or event. And in-camera manual and help guide also ensure you won't be scratching your head to find the correct given setting.
USB battery charging
Connect the camera to a computer and let the battery charge while you save and organise your images.