The Olympus SP-820UZ: You’re never too far away with this powerful, compact 40x wide-angle ultra zoom
Photographers looking for a true all-in-one photographic device may very well have found it in the ground breaking 14 Megapixel SP-820UZ. Once again, this sees Olympus raising the benchmark for what a compact camera is capable of. It surpasses the 36x range of its predecessor to offer a stunning 40x ultra wide optical zoom with a focal range the 35mm equivalent of 22.4-896mm. It thereby offers true versatility and the ability to successfully frame a wide range of subjects in seconds, without requiring the user to step forward or back.
In fact the successor to the popular SP-810UZ is now the most powerful flagship model in Olympus’ Traveller category – no compact camera from Olympus comes close to delivering a better zoom performance. It has achieved this while, incredibly, remaining portably compact. Dimensions are a manageable 116.9x78x93.2mm and it weighs 485g including battery and media card.
40x ultra-wide optical zoom
The competitively priced Olympus SP-820UZ not only offers an impressive reach at the telephoto end of the zoom, it also boasts a super wide-angle 22.4mm performance at the other end, where rivals can only manage 24mm. Alternatively, use the Super Resolution Zoom feature and digitally double the focal range to an equivalent 80x.
An ergonomic, comfortable grip combines with Dual Image Stabilisation and enhanced ISO sensitivity up to ISO6400 to guarantee stunningly sharp photography and help reduce blur for both stills and videos.
Never miss an action shot thanks to AF Tracking
The Olympus SP820UZ not only excels at candid portrait and street photography; it’s also an aid to sports photography and action shots, thanks to the integration of Advanced i-Auto and AF-Tracking functionality.
This feature maintains focus on your subject even if they move about, or in or out of, your frame. So you will be able to record all the highlights of that beach volleyball or water polo match. Sequential shooting of up to 10fps (at 3 megapixels) is also offered for easier capturing of fast moving subjects.
Creative freedom via Smart Panorama shooting
The usability of the Olympus SP-820UZ is further enhanced by features such as an in-camera Smart Panorama mode that allows for images with drama and beauty combined. Its HDR Backlight Adjustment function evens out exposures and avoids loss of detail in key areas, while Handheld Starlight mode ensures that even images taken at night without the aid of a tripod come out as crisp and as clear as possible.
12 Magic Filters for turning the everyday into the extraordinary
Specifically designed to expand the creative potential of digital photography, this impressive function of the SP-820UZ utilises in-camera image processing technology to effortlessly transform the everyday into extraordinary scenes. Simple to operate, the filters allow users to create entirely new worlds with their images. From vibrant colours and pencil drawings to mysterious or rounded perspectives, artistic spirits can magically turn ideas into reality. What’s more, most of the filters can be used when recording video as well as shooting stills – a first in the SP-820UZ’s product category.
Users can choose from Dramatic (photos only), Drawing, Fish Eye, Fragmented (photos only), Miniature, Pin Hole, Pop Art, Punk, Reflection, Soft Focus, Sparkle (photos only) and Watercolour.
- Dramatic: A photos only Magic Filter that adds a sense of drama and foreboding to any shot for stunning results even on the dullest of days.
- Drawing: This filter gives the impression that subjects have been sketched on the fly by an artist just at the moment that inspiration struck. Images are transformed into line drawings for improvised, creative results.
- Fish-Eye: With its distorted 180-degree perspective, this filter reproduces the dramatic effect of a fish-eye lens. It lends a new perspective to the whole scene with a ‘round’ effect.
- Fragmented: This newest photos-only filter can be applied to a photo of a landscape or people to produce a collage of tiles that looks as if the photo has been cut up and reassembled, providing an almost three dimensional feel.
- Miniature: This mode lends your photos the appearance of a miniature model with stronger colours and contrast, achieved by narrowing the depth of field.
- Pin Hole: For an ethereal feel, Pin Hole reduces the peripheral brightness of pictures, like an image seen through a pinhole. Added to this is a unique colour tone that results in a style that has an air of secrecy or portrays the feeling of being lost in another dimension or space.
- Pop Art: In the tradition of Andy Warhol, this effect enhances colours, making them stronger and more vivid. It creates high-impact pictures that express the happy, light-hearted feeling of the pop art style.
- Punk: Pose like Sid and Nancy and have your world turned dayglo pink, with this fun feature that transforms your photos into crudely photocopied fanzine style images, but in a good way.
- Reflection: A simulation of a magical horizontal reflection of your subject; for example as if it or they were standing next to perfectly still water.
- Soft Focus: Give your portraits that romantic otherworldly look beloved of wedding photographers.
- Sparkle: A Magic Filter that truly imparts a sprinkling of fairy dust, adding twinkling reflections to shiny objects.
- Watercolour: With this option pictures are transformed into a watercolour painting framed by soft light.
Eye-Fi card compatible
Connectivity is also enhanced by the SP-820UZ being compatible with Eye-Fi media cards, enabling automatic wireless downloading of pictures, straight to your desktop, and facilitating photo sharing.
Instant Movie Rec button & HD playback
Just one press of the red button and users of the Olympus SP-820UZ can be instantly recording Full HD 1080p High Definition QuickTime Motion JPEG video clips – a resolution boost when compared to its predecessor – no matter which shooting mode has previously been selected. So what chance of missing that special moment? No chance! High speed, adjustable frame rate movie recording is at your fingertips.
Plus, to admire Full HD movie images at their best, users of the SP-820UZ can hook the camera up directly to their flat panel TV set via provided micro HDMI output port.
Mechanical Image Stabilisation
A bugbear of bigger zoom cameras is the propensity for camera shake at longer focal lengths, when shooting handheld or in lower lighting conditions. Olympus therefore offers arguably the most effective means of reducing the potentially damaging effects of image blur, via mechanical image stabilisation.
As a further help, expansive light sensitivity settings between ISO80-6400 are also manually selectable – another improvement over the SP-810UZ. Alternatively, turn on the SP-820UZ’s built-in flash.
Pixel rich picture quality
The Olympus SP-820UZ doesn’t just deliver the goods on paper. In practice too, with a 14 megapixel top photo resolution, latest generation TruePic V image processor, and 1080p High Definition video recording, the manufacturer’s trademark pixel rich image quality is very much in evidence – even when pictures are viewed on a large screen television via HDMI output.
Big and bright LCD screen
The Olympus SP-820UZ offers a large 3-inch, improved 460,000 dot resolution LCD screen for framing and reviewing your photos. This means that sharing shots on the spot with holidaying family and friends is not only a possibility but also a real pleasure.
Automatic for the people
Thanks to automatic aids like subject-following AF Tracking, Intelligent Auto Mode (i-Auto), a smattering of Scene Modes, Beauty Fix mode, Advanced Face Detection, Pet Detection, and Shadow Adjustment Technology to ensure perfect focus and exposure for any given subject, plus high capacity SDHC, SDXC and Eye-Fi media card compatibility and internal 43MB memory so you never run out of storage space, pack a SP-820UZ in that travel bag and you’re all set for photo excellence.
Quick photo surfing thanks to innovative software
Thanks to [ib] software images can be browsed, organized, and viewed by person, place, location or event.
Access to extra power whenever you need it
The Olympus SP-820UZ is powered by four regular AA batteries, which can be conveniently sourced wherever you are in the world. The camera also comes with the peace of mind of a worldwide warranty.
The Olympus SP-820UZ is available in silver.