The Olympus SP-720UZ: Flagship Ultra Zoom 'Traveller' camera ensures superb photos & video, home or away
Olympus is proud to introduce the new flagship model in its 'Traveller' Ultra Zoom camera range, now in its tenth year. The stunning SP-720UZ, the most highly specified of two new models, suggests itself as a powerful addition to the 'UZ' family from the outset, as there is no mistaking the hugely versatile 26x optical zoom at the front.
With its lens equipped to take in a wealth of globe trotting photo opportunities, the Olympus SP-720UZ's super slim compact design ensures that it won't take up too much space in that backpack. As well as being able to capture those challenging once-in-a-lifetime shots, it offers great value for anyone trading up from a small zoom point and shoot camera for the first time.
Here one lens allows photographers to pull the faraway closer or shoehorn more of any subject into the frame; the choice is yours. So whether you're shooting a static mountain range, photographing skittish wildlife or competitive sports, the Olympus SP-720UZ is always going to be the best tool for the job.
26x ultra-wide optical zoom for photo flexibility
The Olympus Ultra Zoom ‘UZ’ camera range has long been acclaimed for its powerful telephoto performance. But the SP-720UZ is part of a new breed of ‘Traveller’ compacts that makes this feat even more impressive because of the modest dimensions of the camera itself.
Incredibly slender and amazingly light, the Olympus SP-720UZ comes fully equipped with a wide angle 26x optical zoom which provides photographers with an incredible focal range the equivalent of 26-676mm in 35mm film terms.
This affords the versatility of close quarter wide angles for dramatic visual effects, seemingly nose-to-nose close ups in fact captured from afar, plus the ability to record expansive panoramas in a single picture.
Full 1080p HD video shooting offers expanded versatility
As well as being a compact powerhouse when it comes to stills photography, in addition the Olympus SP-720UZ features Full HD 1080p movie recording as standard.
This ensures both photographers and videographers automatically have the most appropriate medium to do justice to any subject matter within a finger’s reach.
14-megapixel CMOS sensor & TruePic III+ processor combine for great looking images
At the heart of the Olympus SP-720UZ is a powerful and versatile 14-megapixel CMOS sensor, affording beyond poster sized prints, whatever you point its lens at. The properties of the camera’s hard working chip when combined with TruePic III+ image processor mean that photographers can look forward to radiant colours, low noise and razors sharp edges.
Big and bright LCD screen enhances photo sharing
The Olympus SP-720UZ offers a large 3-inch, 460,000 dot resolution LCD screen for framing and reviewing your photos. This means that sharing shots on the spot with holidaying family and friends is not only a possibility but also a real pleasure.
HDR Backlight Adjustment for perfect exposures
Shooting against the light can be extremely tricky for any camera. But the Olympus SP-720UZ is not any camera. Thanks to on board HDR Backlight Adjustment, even exposures are guaranteed. Instead of recording just one shot, the camera takes multiple images very quickly at different exposure settings then creates a collage of ideally exposed photos, blending them seamlessly into one perfect picture.
Dual IS banishes blur for perfect results
Soft shots and blurred images that most super zoom cameras fall pitifully prey to are conspicuous only by their absence with the Olympus SP-720UZ.Dual Image Stabilisation achieves sharp shots and reduces blur when the subject itself is fast moving. The camera’s high speed sequential shooting also comes in very handy in such circumstances, while built-in flash can freeze motion for sharp results.
Eye-Fi card compatible for wireless connectivity
Connectivity is enhanced by the SP-720UZ being compatible with Eye-Fi media cards, enabling automatic wireless downloading of pictures, straight to your desktop, and again facilitating photo sharing. No more messy cables!
The SP-720UZ is also compatible with both SDHC and SDXC media cards, readily available.
Pixel rich picture quality every time
The Olympus SP-720UZ doesn’t just deliver the goods on paper. In practice, with a 16 megapixel top photo resolution, TruePic III+ image processor, and 720p High Definition video recording, the manufacturer’s trademark pixel rich image quality is very much in evidence – even when pictures are viewed on a large screen television via HDMI output.
Automatic for the people
Automatic photo aids like subject-following AF Tracking, Intelligent Auto Mode (i-Auto), Face Detection plus Shadow Adjustment Technology ensure perfect focus and exposure for any given subject, while Scene Modes automatically enhance specific subjects and Handheld Starlight mode provides best quality for tripod-free low light photography. Add in Beauty Make Up mode for banishing blemishes plus Pet Detection Mode for perfect pictures of your pooch and anyone will be able to take better photos than ever with the Olympus SP-720UZ.
12 Magic Filters transform the everyday into the extraordinary
Specifically designed to expand the creative potential of digital photography, this impressive function of the SP-720UZ utilises in-camera image processing technology to effortlessly transform the everyday into extraordinary scenes. Simple to operate, the filters allow users to create entirely new worlds with their images. From vibrant colours and pencil drawings to mysterious or rounded perspectives, artistic spirits can magically turn ideas into reality. What’s more, nine of the filters can be used when recording video as well as shooting stills – a first in the SP-720UZ’s product category.
Users can choose from Punk, Pop Art, Pin Hole, Drawing, Fish Eye, Soft Focus, Sparkle and Watercolour plus Miniature, Reflection and new Fragmented and Dramatic filters.
- Miniature: This mode lends your photos the appearance of a miniature model with stronger colours and contrast by narrowing the depth of field.
- Reflection: A simulation of a magical horizontal reflection of your subject: for example as if it or they were standing next to perfectly still water.
- Punk: Pose like Sid and Nancy and have your world turned dayglo pink, with this fun feature that transforms your photos into crudely photocopied fanzine style images, but in a good way.
- Pop Art: In the tradition of Andy Warhol, this effect enhances colours, making them stronger and more vivid. It creates high-impact pictures that express the happy, light-hearted feeling of the pop art style.
- Fish-Eye: With its distorted 180-degree perspective, this filter reproduces the dramatic effect of a fish-eye lens. It lends a new perspective to the whole scene with a “round” effect.
- Drawing: This filter gives the impression that subjects have been sketched on the fly by an artist just at the moment that inspiration struck. Images are transformed into line drawings for improvised, creative results.
- Pin Hole: For an ethereal feel, Pin Hole reduces the peripheral brightness of images like an image seen through a pinhole. Added to this is a unique colour tone that results in a style that has an air of secrecy or portrays the feeling of being lost in another dimension or space.
- Soft Focus: Give your portraits that romantic otherworldly look beloved of wedding photographers.
- Sparkle: A photos-only Magic Filter that truly imparts a sprinkling of fairy dust, adding twinkling reflections to shiny objects.
- Watercolour: With this option pictures are transformed into a watercolour painting framed by soft light.
- Fragmented: A photos only Magic Filter to bring a dose of creativity to any image.
- Dramatic: A photos only Magic Filter that adds a sense of drama and foreboding to any shot for stunning results even on the dullest of days.
Creative freedom via 3D and Panorama shooting
The usability of the Olympus SP-720UZ is further enhanced by optional 3D shooting mode, lending images a striking sense of depth, from close up macro shots to expansive landscapes. This mode captures two shots from two different angles to create shots that can be viewed on a 3D compatible display.
An in-camera Panorama mode further allows for quick and easy images with drama and beauty combined, providing another creative highlight. Several frames are shot and automatically combined by the camera.
HD playback as standard
To admire High Definition movie clips at their best, users of the SP-720UZ can hook the camera up directly to their flat panel TV set via provided HDMI output port.
In-camera help and features you can trust to deliver
The SP-720UZ features an in-camera help guide so that even the least experienced of photographers can rapidly get to grips with the best of what this camera has to offer.
Quick photo surfing thanks to innovative software
Thanks to [ib] software images can be browsed, organized, and viewed by person, place, location or event.
Re-charge the battery anywhere and everywhere
With the ability to recharge the SP-720UZ via USB lead, users aren’t purely dependent on having a source of mains power readily to hand. The camera can be charged via your laptop or similar USB powered device.
The Olympus SP-720UZ is available in silver or black.