Disney does Dickens in this animated version of Oliver Twist
, in which a homeless New York City cat falls in with a bunch of mischievous dogs under the leadership of the appealing scoundrel Fagin. The roots of Disney's success with animation in the 1990s begins with this clever, energetic, atmospheric movie, which succeeds in capturing the grim world Dickens conjured. Lyricist Howard Ashman (The Little Mermaid
) worked on the songs, the best of which is sung by Billy Joel, who provides the voice of (the Artful) Dodger. --Tom Keogh
Experience a magical adventure, filled with friendship, fun and "paws-itively" cool music in the new 20th Anniversary Edition DVD of Walt Disney’s Oliver And Company, featuring tail-wagging bonus and new digital mastering!
Oliver, a feisty young cat, explores New York in this thrilling animated classic cleverly based on Charles Dickens’ timeless story, Oliver Twist, featuring unforgettable songs performed by musical greats Billy Joel, Huey Lewis and Bette Midler!
Joined by a pack of hilarious characters--dogs Dodger, Tito and their pals--Oliver learns that the strong survive by keeping their dreams alive. And when he is adopted by Jenny, Oliver knows he’s found a lifelong friend and a real home.
The new 20th Anniversary Edition includes the all-new Oliver’s Big City Challenge Game, the Academy Award®–winning animated short Lend A Paw and much more! Hightail it to your home theater for a fun and exciting movie-watching experience your family will enjoy again and again!Characters
- Oliver: A cute ginger kitten who joins Fagin’s gang of dogs before being taken in by Jenny.
- Dodger: A carefree, charismatic mongrel with a mix of terrier in him. He claims to have considerable “street savoir-faire”. He is the leader of Fagin’s gang of dogs, and becomes Oliver’s closest friend amongst them. Voiced by Billy Joel.
- Jenny: A kind, rich girl who takes care of Oliver.
- Tito: He is a tiny Chihuahua in Fagin’s gang who has a fiery temper for his size, and has a crush on Georgette.
- Fagin: A poor man who lives on a house-boat with his dogs. He needs money desperately to repay his debt with Sykes.Because of this, he is forced to do horrible deeds, but really, he has a heart of gold.
- Georgette: The Foxworth family’s spoiled and ditsy prize-winning poodle who is jealous of Oliver getting attention
- Sykes: A dangerous, cold-hearted loan shark who lent a considerable sum of money to Fagin and expects it paid back.