- Publisher: Cambridge University Press; 2 edition (28 Sept. 1996)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0521576083
- ISBN-13: 978-0521576086
- Product Dimensions: 14.7 x 2 x 21.7 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 8,240,318 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Numerical Recipes Code CD-ROM with Windows or Macintosh Single Screen License CD-ROM: Includes Source Code for Numerical Recipes in C, Fortran 77, ... BASIC, Lisp and Modula 2 plus many extras CD-ROM – 28 Sep 1996
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"This monumental and classic work is beautifully produced and of literary as well as mathematical quality. It is an essential component of any serious scientific or engineering library." Computing Reviews
A single CD-ROM containing all the source code for the routines and examples from: Numerical Recipes in FORTRAN 77 (Second Edition), Numerical Recipes in FORTRAN 90, Numerical Recipes in C (Second Edition), Numerical Recipes in Pascal, and Numerical Recipes Routines and Examples in BASIC, plus the public domain SLATEC library, all in a format suitable for IBM PC and Macintosh computers. A code use license is included.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Anyone familiar with the book knows that using the book's dynamic memory allocation routines (provided in Appendix D in my edition of the book and included in the software) allows you to start arrays anywhere you like, 0,1, or 1001, it doesn't matter. These dynamic memory allocation routines also have other major advantages such as minimizing the needed memory for a large simulation by allowing you to easily create new arrays as you need them, discard others immediately when you are done with them, adjust the size of an array according to the need at a specific point in your program, etc. Their way of handling this is so convenient that I never have had a memory allocation need that it does not meet. But this is just one detail; the main thing is that their attention to detail is at this level throughout. I cannot imagining going to another reference.
Get the book, read it as needed (you don't need to read a lot to solve a specific programming problem), and do numerical analysis with as much ease as there is to be had in C or C++ programming.
Some of the examples listed cover linear algebraic equations, Fourier methods, and partial differential equations. As mentioned, these are written in Pascal, so if you are not familiar with that programming language, these routines will not help you understand the math. If you need to write such routines, and you understand Pascal, this book will help you get ideas for your programming needs.
There are still algorithms used in this text that haven't been "built-in" in Mathematica. Ten years ago I used texts much like this to program
on a daily basis,so I know that although this is well written it still leaves a lot for the programmer to fill in. I even found some material I still need to learn
like boundary value methods in differential equations.
I enjoyed reading this text.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Production, Manufacturing & Operational > Productivity
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Calculus & Mathematical Analysis
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Probability & Statistics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Maths
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Mathematics > Applied Mathematics > Statistics & Probability
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Mathematics > Calculus & Mathematical Analysis