Customer Discussions > The Secret History forum

Novels set on campus

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Feb 2009 21:18:43 GMT
Jules M. says:
Can anybody recommend a good campus novel? Some of my favourite books are campus novels - Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld, The Secret History by Donna Tartt and I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe, so I'd love to read more if anybody has any recommendations.

Posted on 15 Mar 2009 20:45:09 GMT
The Rules of Attraction and at least one other by Bret Easton Ellis. Not saying these are fantastic, but they are worthwhile to read. I've not read Wonder Boys myself but I have read other Michael Chabon books and they are pretty good/excellent. The World According to Garp and some other works by John Irving fit your bill. (I'm thinking The Hotel New Hampshire but his themes are pretty similar and can overlap.)

Oh and I've just finished Lucky Jim. That's a good one if you want an English Campus.

I sound like a well-read kind of guy don't I? I'm not really, you just hit on a topic I know a tiny bit about.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2009 04:12:44 BDT
S Wood says:
If your up for an off beat but intensely warm and humouress campus novel try PNIN by Vladimir Nabokov in which Professor Timofey Pnin, late of Tsarist Russia, is precariously perched on a college campus in the fast beating heart of the USA. In a series of funny and sad misunderstandings, Pnin does halting battle with American life and language.

Posted on 26 Feb 2010 22:04:52 GMT
Angular says:
The river king by Alice Hoffman

Old School - Tobias Wolff

Posted on 3 Nov 2012 23:01:12 GMT
I'm reading "the scret history" at the moment, so get where you're coming from. "Wonder Boys" by Michael Chabon is well worth a read - focuses on a creative writing class. James Hynes' "The Lecturer's tale" is a good one, focus on the English Literature faculty. Malcolm Bradbury has written a lot of campus novels. For something lighter, Tom Sharpe "Porterhouse Blue", set in an Oxbridge college. For something much darker, Sebastian Faulks' "Engelby". Happy reading.

Posted on 25 Apr 2014 16:45:16 BDT
I'm also reading "The Secret History" at the moment, which isn't bad, but I prefer "The History man" by Malcolm Bradbury, which I have just re-read. "Lucky Jim" by Kingsley Amis is another British classic of the genre, as is "Nice Work" by David Lodge. "Brideshead Revisited" by Evelyn Waugh isn't set on campus throughout, but the first part of the book certainly fits the bill. To get away from the arty crowd, try "The Search" by C.P. Snow to see what the scientists on campus get up to.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Secret History forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  25 Feb 2009
Latest post:  25 Apr 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Secret History
The Secret History by Donna Tartt (Paperback - 1 July 1993)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (518)