Format: Paperback|Change

A great idea - a little boy runs the zoo for a day. But it's a zoo of monsters! Like many children's stories it's about the child taking the role of adult and being in charge, and doing a good job of it.

While it's a fun idea, it's also quite dense - new monsters and names are introduced in quick succession. I could see my son liked it but also found it a little confusing. He wasn't sure what to make of them all - should he be worried for the little boy? Were they scary or not? He got the general idea, but there are lots of unusual names and it's quite a 'fast' feeling book.

Quite a retro feel to the illustrations, especially of the little boy. I would quite like to see a version where the boy runs a regular zoo, with familiar animals so a reader can enjoy the adventure without lots of new names and creatures.

Great for monster lovers aged 2-5. Nothing scary.
on 7 August 2013
Very colourful and bright with inventive monsters such as the Squirgal who live in a zoo. A young boy wins a prize and finds he's won the day running a zoo for monsters, but they're normally badly behaved, so he has his work cut out keeping them in line. At the end of the day the zookeeper returns, amazed to find everything in order and so the next day the boy has won another prize to run the zoo again. Told in rhyming verse, there are occasions when the verse doesn't quite flow "I grabbed my bike, so keen to go, and pedalled quickly down the road", but generally fast paced and fun.
on 23 February 2014
I love this book, but my rather oversensitive 4 year old boy is a bit put off by monsters. It's well written and isn't saccharin or cringe-worthy in any way. If he requested it over and over it would have had 5 stars.
on 15 September 2014
Great book, my son loves it. Very colourful and wonderful weird and wonderful monsters.
on 5 August 2013
Just got my copy today, and it went down really well at bedtime.
The illustrations are fab, full of fun. My 5 year old enjoyed the story and the funny names.
Mummy enjoyed reading it, I'm sure I will have to read it lots and lots and lots more.
on 15 August 2014
Fun and sweet book, lovely illustrations and catchy rhyming throughout, Im reading it at least 3 times a day to my toddler at the mo!
fast delivery too, happy all round.
on 29 January 2015
My six year old granddaughter loved this book. She loved the monsters and did not think them scary at all and thinks other children of her age will enjoy reading this book.
on 13 June 2014
Another wonderfully entertaining book. My grandson loved the weird creatures so our next zoo visit will be fascinating!!!! Thank you
on 10 July 2015
Love this book and it has become a firm favourite and is often quoted by my 3 year old.
on 5 March 2015
Fun book for the kids, my nephew loved it.