on 16 October 2009
Let's be clear this is a good product when it's working. It would be worrying if in terms of functionality a product from a company as dominant in the market as Norton could not achieve a 4/5 star review. However when you part with your cash for this product you are also purchasing an entitlement to technical support and the quality of this should also be a consideration.

My specific problem was that my Norton 360 2.0 started showing a message that I needed to activate it despite the fact that it had been running for almost a year and still had a month to run on the subscription. When following the activation procedure it told me that it couldn't activate. This problem was not solved by Norton technical support and in attempting to address this by trying to remotely install Norton 360 3.0 they left me in worse position than I had been.

Over a sequence of three evenings totalling about 7 hours of support they not only failed to install Norton 360 3.0 but also wrecked my internet connection in the process so that I couldn't get on line. Despite me telling them repeatedly that the connection problem was due to something they had done their technicians kept attempting to pass the buck to the internet provider as though this was an unrelated, coincidental problem. In one of their last attempts to solve the problem Norton remotely tried to uninstall bits of Norton 360 and asked me to manually delete and rename Norton files. As consequence I was no longer able to use the usual uninstall process or delete any Norton files after this because various names and pathways had been changed. Therefore even though my strong hunch was that it was the residual elements of Norton that were messing up my connection I could do nothing about it. The last technician, a supervisor apparently, said once I could get online they could remotely run the Norton Removal Tool. The way he spoke it sounded like the Norton Removal Tool was something only available to Norton technicians rather than mere mortals.

Fortunately at this point I phoned PC World as I have a Performance Plan with them thinking this was probably going in the direction of a complete recovery/re-format operation. The technician at PC World listened (unlike Norton staff) to the symptoms and taking note that I had working computers in the house advised me to download the Norton Removal Tool (search for it on Google - the top option should be the one on the Norton site), save it to a memory stick and run it on the computer with the fault.

As soon as I ran the Norton Removal Tool and the re-started the computer it instantly connected to the internet automatically as it had always done before.

My advice to any potential buyers of Norton 360 3.0 is that like version 2.0 it is good enough when it's working and you'll have little cause for complaint. However be cautious if contacting the Technical Support Line and be aware of the existence of the Norton Removal Tool as you may need it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like it. I've tried a number of security suites, including Norton Internet Security 2009, and this is probably my favourite. Norton products were getting very flabby until NIS 2009 came along, and V3 of Norton 360 seems to have built very effectively on the performance enhancements found in NIS 2009. It doesn't seem to increase boot times and uses very little memory or cpu after booting.

I'm not in a position to test its effectiveness at keeping nasties at bay, but NIS2009 gets top billing in many magazine reviews. 360 adds a number of features over NIS, for example integrating with your browser to warn you if you're on a suspect e-commerce site.

It also has what appears to be an excellent backup utility, although I'll probably stick with Acronis for local and iDrive (12 GB free) for online backups.

The only downside I could find is that the interface is poor for anybody who wants to get their hands dirty, delving into the depths to adjust the more advanced settings. But, for most people, that will be a good thing, and I reckon Norton 360 V3 will suit their needs admirably.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After experimenting with various Symantec security products over the years and finding that they all without exception slowed my machine down to a crawl I swore I mighty oath I would never install another. I soon broke that vow when I tried and was very impressed by Norton Internet Security 2009 - 1 User 3 Computers (PC), which was fast, stable and did not impinge very much upon my PC's performance. So I was particularly keen to give this new version of Norton 360 a go.

The install on my Vista SP1 laptop was fast and incident free and the application was quickly registered. Once booted up the computer seemed to work well and not noticeably slower than before. I did note a possible slow down in accessing web pages, but this may not be the direct result of N360 and if it is I suspect a tweak of the security settings (set to maximum) could cure this.

The interface is stripped down and far more user friendly than the confused interface of NIS2009 but there are a full range of options available if you choose to delve into the menu structure. The default settings are fine for most people, I suspect.

Like many new security product this one comes with 2 gigabytes of online storage - I am not sure if this is to be shared between the three users of this product or if each of the three included licences has it's own.

One problem I found is that the backup routine seems to be tightly woven into the disk cleaning and security monitoring schedule and I found it difficult to set up a scheduled scan without including a backup. I also found the setup routine for defining the backup parameters to be confusing and poorly designed.

As well as the usual virus, spyware, firewall, backup and spam facilities this product also comes with a disk cleanup option to remove spurious files, cookies, registry entries and a very interesting network analysis and protection feature. With this the user can define available networks and the devices on them to different levels of security and allow the appropriate access level to them. This is similar in some ways to the Network Magic application and has been expanded greatly in this version of N360.

After a few days of use I have found that my web page access and reverted to normal but that system startup time has been greatly extended. The rest of the desktop loads as normal but the N360 icon does not appear for a full minute afterwards. During this waiting period everything else seems to function as normal.

A useful toolbar is installed on Internet Explorer which facilitates access to the anti phising and online browser security features. This was installed only on IE and not on my Mozilla based Flock browser. Elsewhere I noted that Firefox is far less supported here than IE, a surprising oversight given the move away from IE in favour of Firefox and other browsers.

The product comes with built in online support which I used when contacting Symantec to see is a Firefox plugin was available. Loading directly from the product and after a long delay whilst N360 did a self assessment routine, another whilst navigating through various script driven pages, and yet another in a online queue, I was able to chat live with a Symantec technician in India to attempt to resolve the problem

So in conclusion I would say this is a first class security product with excellent customer support but not without it's problems. It may be too large and all embracing for those who prefer a lean and mean computing machine and those who prefer not to use Internet Explorer.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Upgraded my PCs from V2.5 360 to Norton's latest security suite V3.0. The earlier version did slow system performance and was fiddly to configure. V3 is an improvement in these areas being much less resource hungry and much simpler to control.

Norton 360 provides firewall, anti-virus, anti phishing, PC tuning tools, and 2G of online backup. The firewall and anti-virus work quietly in the background when configured. The PC tuning tools are basic but run in the background and do not seem to cause an overhead.

I've loaded the software on two desktop XP machines replacing V2.5. The install went smoothly with the AV updating intself on completion. Performance generally seems to be unaffected and the control panel made configuring features simple and intuative,

The backup utility allows backup to local media or Norton's online backup area providing 2 GB of storage which is OK for documents but not enough for Media files. More space can be bought if required. It works well and is easy to configure and can be set to run at a scheduled time.

Norton 360 is a comprehensive package and also includes on line support and 1 years updates. Although not cheap is good value if you have more than one PC and Norton's longevity somehow gives me more confidence than relying on free software or less established vendors for something as important as virus protection
on 15 August 2009
I had Norton 180 last year and had no problems what so ever... up until the point when it started claiming that it has expired... 2 months before it was actually due to expire. I installed Norton 360 as soon as I could and it picked up a tracking cookie, which explained why our new computer had all of the sudden turned so slow... BUT it failed to remove it!!!! Tried to scan all over again and it always claimed to have found a cookie and removed it again until next time so on so on... Did some surfing at the net and discovered that someone in US had had exactly the same problem and could not get help from norton official chat room... Thought... UK site would maybe be better!!! Logged on... did live chat... the assistant assured me that they are able to help me for sure, but I'd have to dish out another £60 for that!!!!!!! I was blinded with rage, since I had already paid for a licence for a product WHICH OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT DO WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN!!! so I eventually had to uninstall it and install AVG-free... which found a TROJAN not a cookie and got rid of all my misery in one scan!!!!! So think hard before you press place it in your basket....
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Over the years I have tried various Norton packages and, like a lot of others, found them lacking, especially in slowing down the computer. I must admit that I was somewhat apprehensive about trying yet another package, but this time Norton seemed to have got it right.

For the last couple of years I have been using free anti-virus (Avast, which is excellent and Highly Recommended) and the Windows own firewall without any real problems. I have also been using other software to make sure that my computer is secure, but I felt it was time to use an all in one package and so I chose Norton.

Loading Norton 360 onto my aged computer was a doddle, in fact it couldn't have been easier. Once loaded I asked it to check a few things, just in case my previous package had missed something. Expecting it to take a considerable time, as I have 2 x 500mg hard drives and running XP, I was extremely (pleasantly) surprised at how quickly everything was scanned and sorted. I have had no clashes with software, as I have done previously, and no real slowing down of the computer, although if I was being picky there is a (very) slight reduction in speed at times.

If you are a novice as far as computers are concerned, this surely is the package for you as it is so easy to install and set up. Using its standard settings is fine for most people and there is no need to 'tweak' the settings unless your system has special features. Norton seemed to have taken the novice to heart and supplied a package that basically loads itself and sets itself up.

I have had the package for a little over a week now and feel very happy and confident about it. I also loaded it onto my much newer laptop running Vista and I have again had no probelms whatsoever. Indeed the Norton package seems to fit in well with both my computers and I will, I'm sure, be more than happy to renew my subscription once this has run its year. I have no hesitation in giving this product a Highly Recommended.
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This software provides the ultimate 'peace-of-mind' solution.
While there are many programmes on the market, I always feel safe and warm when I see the Norton/Symantec sign. Over the years it has never let me down. This particular package covers it all, including facilities to tune up your PC & determine the authenticity/legitimacy of a website. It also provides a faster, reduced scan time, using a system called 'smart scanning'. One of my favourite features however, is the ability to reduce the load time of the PC by selecting software that does NOT need to load on start. At first I was slightly nervous and even a little dubious that this would correctly detect the programmes I did not need to load from the really necessary ones. I had visions of turning my PC on and finding that major areas of my PC had 'gone to sleep'. I decided to take the plunge and unchecked every programme that Norton had listed as not requiring load at start. Did it work? Like a dream! The key factor when installing Anti-Virus software is to determine the level of strain it takes on a PC. This software works silently in the background and does not appear to cause any slowing down whatsoever. In fact my PC has been runnin faster with the tools provided to tune up my PC.

The only reason I am not giving 5 stars is because there are a couple of features I am not entirely convinced are necessary or meaningful. Clearly, with so much competition in this sector, companies strive to beat the competition with greater and more boastful features. However the ability of this package to store my credit card details for 'security reasons' I have yet to understand. At this point I unclear about why or how this is beneficial. There is also a backup facility with 2GB of online storage included. Firstly, 2GB is nothing these days so you will need to buy more. Personally, I don't know anyone in their right mind who would even entertain the idea of 'protecting' their data by uploading it to some server in a far off land somewhere. Gimmicks aside, this is the Rolls Royce of the Anti-Virus world and a superb package that is just a lot better than the competition. One word of caution: the detection of website safety - determining if they are 'fakes' or not, is slightly trigger happy. I could quite easily see the day when this feature is challenged by some large company who has been wrongly blacklisted.
VINE VOICEon 19 April 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Norton 360 is easy to install and once set up it gets on with protecting your PC in many different ways. It notifies you of any threats and solves them quickly. It also runs lots of different scans when your computer is idle (this can be set to run anytime between 1 and 30 minutes of your computer becoming idle) which I found to be very useful.

Of course there are some features which don't seem entirely necessary such as the ability to record your bank details securely for online shopping. I have much more peace of mind just inputting my details when needed rather than securing them with some third party.

However, Norton is a reliable brand and I would definately recommend Norton products and will continue to use their software in future. If you need anti-virus or other computer protection, look no further than this product.
VINE VOICEon 3 May 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having been impressed a previous version of Norton 360 I was eager to give the new one a shot. I was pretty impressed. It certainly seems to be quicker than the previous version and seems to work better on Vista. I have also taken to this 360 much more than the internet security 2009 as it is not only easier to install but seems to slow it down significantly less and uses any idle time to perform background scans.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My first experience with Norton 360 was with V2.0. It offered excellent levels of protection but there were also one or two problems with it and several omissions. V3.0 is a big improvement although there are still a few small issues.

Installation was painless and relatively quick - as expected. Once installed there are more features to play with compared to V2.0, including a Network monitoring facility which allows detection of all connected devices and the setting of access levels to each of them. I wouldn't recommend playing too much with the settings here unless you are familiar with the way your network is configured though. V3.0 also has more in the way of Tune-up tools (as well as the disk de-frag tool there is a diagnostic application that is able to make recommendations, a start up manager that allows you to decide which applications start with the PC, plus there's the password manager that I didn't use in V2.0 as I use an online service called Last Pass for this to avoid storing password details on my PC.

The one annoying thing about V2.0 was the back-up facility. As 2.0GB of online storage is not enough, especially with 3 pc's, and as the back up scheduling is not flexible enough to allow manual back-up when required to integrate with scheduled scan and clean-up activity, in V3.0 this is just as much of an annoyance as before... I only want my AV icon to have a red-cross displayed when something important needs doing, not just becasuse I forgot to do a back-up.... For that only 4-stars instead of 5. But Symantec continue to lead the field with their AV and internet protection products. The User interface is as usual great and well thought out so that a user with a minimum of knowledge would be comfortable using this product but you can also easily get "under the bonnet" to change firewall settings if required. Well worth the money, especially as you get 3 licences.