Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Sep 2010 22:13:59 BDT
This sucks BIG TIME. I've been waiting for this for so long, yet America is getting a wonderful 4 disc set - including 2 Blu-Ray's and 2 DVD's of both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000. Yet we are getting either this 2 disc set, with Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 just on Blu, or the other two sets - Fantasia (original, no 2000) on Blu with DVD in Blu packaging, or the same 2-disc set with DVD packaging. It is just so awkward and confusing....and we all know how Disney just love to region code their discs, so that rules out an import. :(

I really wanted to have one set with both movies, with both Blu and DVD discs....just as the Americans are getting. Why are we getting stiffed? I have only one Blu-Ray player in my house...in other rooms there is just DVD, or we may want to play it in the car...on DVD. So I either forgo DVD entirely, or forgo Fantasia 2000...or I have to buy BOTH versions. WTF???

Posted on 9 Sep 2010 21:18:21 BDT
Paul says:
I'm in the same situation and I feel the exact same way. I was gutted when I found out that the UK wasn't getting the 4-disc set. This wouldn't be so bad if 2000 was available separately as a Blu-ray/DVD combo option but it seems they only way to get 2000 at all is with the original. I'm disappointed, Disney.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2010 21:28:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Sep 2010 21:37:00 BDT
What I might do is pre-order the double Blu-Ray set and then price watch the DVD set for the future...and try and grab it at a reduced price (I'll have to be careful though as it is supposed to be a limited release). I'll I'll end up paying more, and will only have Fantasia on DVD and not Fantasia 2000, AND will have two BD's of the Fantasia movie....but what else can I do? No at all happy. The silly region coding makes it hurt all the more. Although I have not seen confirmation the 4 disc set will definitely be region locked, I have heard *most* Disney Blu-Ray sets are...so there is still a slim hope of the 4 disc set being region free.

I'm also yet to find out if it has been censored....the scene with the little black native horse/child will likely be cut, so the politically correct whitewashing of Disney history will make it ten times worse. I should have known better than to put my trust in Disney to come through with the product I've wanted ever since HD home video was announced.

Posted on 10 Sep 2010 14:27:49 BDT
Picard says:
I'm disappointed too with this U.K offering, but in effect the better value product is actually the standalone Fantasia release as this includes the DVD, which is an additional copy of the film to take anywhere. You could back it up on your PC, copy it, whatever you like.

It's not all good news though. Disney "BD Live" is still only available in the U.S, so apart from that small selection of features taken from the 2000 release, we can't even go on to BD Live to access the entirety of this bonus content. Not only that, but the bonus features that are actually 'on' the disc(s) are dire, and I simply cannot understand why Disney have changed their tune (excuse the pun) on this release. From their press release;

"Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:38 am Post subject:
Don't think this has been posted before, heres a break down of the bonus features for this release copied from the 1st September Disney press release;

"Fantasia DVD Bonus Features:

* Audio Commentary [Brian Sibley]
* Disney Family Museum (running time: approx. 5 minutes) - Walt's daughter Diane Disney-Miller takes viewers on a tour of the new Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, California featuring a very large exhibit on Fantasia and most importantly, the Schultheis notebook with long-lost Fantasia production notes found in more recent years in the walls of a convent.

Fantasia Blu-ray Bonus Features:
Everything on the DVD plus:

* Disney View [A bit of artwork each side of the film, rather than black bars...]
* The Shultheis Notebook: A Disney Treasure (running time: approx. 14 minutes) - An in depth look at the recently discovered Schultheis Notebook. The detailed log was created by Herman Schultheis, an effects man on Fantasia.
* Interactive Art Gallery and Screensavers
* Audio Commentaries from Fantasia Legacy Collection"

When you compare this to Platinum and Diamond releases, its pathetic. To put things like 'Disney View' as a bonus feature? C'mon...

Posted on 13 Sep 2010 08:04:20 BDT
T. J. Bacon says:
I am really really upset about this as well... is there any way to write to disney to complain about this ?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2010 10:14:21 BDT
Picard says:
Yes! If you find the address for WDE [Walt Disney Entertainment] then by all means. I'm writing to them as well, so the more people the better.

Posted on 17 Sep 2010 12:20:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Sep 2010 12:27:21 BDT
I'm disappointed to, I wanted both films in single releases, with options of blu-ray and dvd packaging (Germany are getting this, why not the UK?)

It was the same with Snow white, we got a diamond edition with blu-ray packaging and dvd, and a pretty boring special edition DVD release (with no blu-ray), yet every other country got the release in diamond with dvd or blu-ray packaging options.

Disney need to realise some of us collect their films, but want a collection that looks consistent, Disney seem to realise this in other countries, and seemed to have realised this in the UK with the release of Beauty And The Beast and Fantasia original, so why not Fantasia 2000 and Snow White?

My Disney collection looks strange now as I have all DVDs, with one blu-ray case at the front :(

Expect a sneaky late single release of Fantasia 2000 before being recalled to the vault!!

Posted on 20 Sep 2010 20:31:38 BDT
T. J. Bacon says:
anyone got an email address to complain to yet?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2010 21:47:41 BDT
Picard says:
I think this may do the trick, or if not, they'll put you in touch with the right people;

wdshe.consumerrelations@disney.co.uk

Posted on 24 Sep 2010 10:24:31 BDT
Just to let you guys know (because it was mentioned, that Germany gets the DVD/Blu-Combo). In Germany we on the other side have no Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Combo Set, we have to buy both movies and pay more money for one movie then you guys are paying for the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000-Set :-/
Don´t know what Disney is thinking with these release policies, but if we won´t get the Combo-Release i will order the UK Version.

Posted on 30 Sep 2010 09:43:14 BDT
Zizix Road says:
No, this cannot be, can it? No dvd release AT ALL for Fantasia 2000? So they just forgot about people who don't even have a Blu-ray player?
Meanwhile the Un-anniversary edition of Alice in Wonderland still hasn't been released here either.
Hmm I see a dvd-only version of Beauty&the Beast has finally appeared on Amazon.co.uk though... maybe more releases for Fantasia are on the way too.

By the by, in the Netherlands, where I live, they have again other releases planned... looks like every country gets screwed in a different way.

Posted on 2 Oct 2010 13:59:13 BDT
T. J. Bacon says:
the following is my email to disney (I'll let you know if they reply):

"Dear Sir or Madam

As an avid collector of Disney films - I am sad to see that in the UK you appear to not be releasing a 4 disc edition of Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 on Blu Ray that includes DVD versions as well, nor that you will release Fantasia 2000 on Blu ray with a DVD version included. Is this the correct information, as I feel that as a loyal collector I am being penalised. In the past when such oddities have occurred on DVD releases one could simply buy a region 1 DVD release but as Blu Ray regions and locked down water tight I really feel Disney should make the effort and reward its loyal customers/collectors with equality across the range regardless of ones' locality in the world.

I look forward to your reply on this matter"

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2010 00:11:56 BDT
Michael says:
I've also e-mailed Disney regarding the 4 disc edition. I e-mailed the Disney Store at first on Friday and they replied on Saturday saying they couldn't answer my question but gave an e-mail address for a department that could so I e-mailed them straight away on Saturday but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Posted on 7 Oct 2010 07:34:34 BDT
David H. says:
It is disappointing, but both films for £18 is pretty good. If it was a 4 disc set it would probably have been around £28.

Posted on 7 Oct 2010 16:14:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Oct 2010 16:16:30 BDT
The only way round this one as I see it is to buy the 4 disc set from the US and buy a multi-region Blu ray player (Regions A, B, C plus multi-region DVD as well) . These are becoming more common and you set the Region by a code one at a time. They are available mainly in the US (of course) but I've noticed on Ebay more are becoming available from HK. They start from about £130.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2010 16:58:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Oct 2010 16:58:58 BDT
It's a good movie, and this issue is annoying to be sure, but I'm buggered if I'm throwing THAT kind of money at the problem. I've pre-ordered the two disc Fantasia/Fantasia 2010 BD....I will forward a complaint and, for me, that is the best I can do. I will rip the BD's and make my own DVD back-ups.

Posted on 7 Oct 2010 18:00:56 BDT
Michael says:
Still haven't received any reply from my e-mail to Disney. However, I have been looking on their UK website at their list of current and upcoming DVDs/Blu-Rays. Beauty and the Beast (which is out at a similar time) is listed as Upcoming but neither Fantasia or Fantasia 2000 is listed at all and a quick search on the site brings it up as 'In The Vault' - very strange.

I want to get both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000. I have a Blu-Ray player but it is my PS3 which is in my bedroom and our main TV in the living room is only SD with a DVD player attached so I really want the 4-disc Blu-Ray/DVD Combi.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2010 08:57:31 BDT
Katha says:
in Germany they are releasing both movies separately as DVD/Blu-ray. I often order movies on amazon.co.uk so it should work the other way around as well.

Posted on 8 Oct 2010 12:17:49 BDT
Good thinking Katha!!! I just checked them out on Amazon.de. For me I think this is the best option now available to us all. So we buy the cheaper English Fantasia Blu/DVD set from here (£15.93), and the German Fantasia 2000 Blu/DVD set (25 euros...just under £22) on Amazon.de. Nice looking art in the German Fantasia 2000, too.

I think I'll delete my existing pre-order and do that instead. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2010 12:35:13 BDT
T. J. Bacon says:
agreed - it seems like its the only option

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2010 23:22:46 BDT
Michael says:
Are DVDs released in Germany in English as well?

Just e-mailed Disney again (to a different e-mail address) as it is almost two weeks since I e-mailed them originally and they have never bothered to reply.

Posted on 17 Oct 2010 23:10:34 BDT
Michael says:
Just had an e-mail back from Disney regarding Fantasia/Fantasia 2000. Looks like we're going to have to wait until next year anyway!! (See Below) although they didn't answer my question about a DVD release of Fantasia 2000.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your interest in our Walt Disney feature "Fantasia" and "Fantasia 2000".
Please be advised that there has been a change to the scheduled DVD release date for "Fantasia" and "Fantasia 2000" in the UK.
They both are now scheduled to be released on 28 March 2011.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Oct 2010 23:25:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Oct 2010 23:32:08 BDT
Picard says:
Mike - This is.... Shocking news. Would you mind if I copy and pasted your post on one of the popular forums currently active for this release?

Hang on, are you sure that's not just for the DVD release? Otherwise Amazon would cancel our orders because the single pack contains a DVD version of Fantasia as well as a Blu-ray.

To be honest, I'm just so annoyed because this film has been put back since March this year, and all I want right now is to see it in it's high def glory. If Disney pushed the film back again to March next year, I'd only be happy if it was be because they want to make it a Diamond Edition again and just fill it with extras - including the promised Fantasia World.

Posted on 18 Oct 2010 00:26:13 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Oct 2010 00:26:57 BDT]

Posted on 18 Oct 2010 09:34:56 BDT
TBH I never really expected the November 8 release stated on Amazon...as even the North America release is November 30...BUT THIS? March 2011??? That is a flaming p*ss take!!! Not happy.

Tom Cat...I've never had Amazon cancel a pre-order due to delays, even longer delays than this. They don't charge your card until despatch, so they leave any order cancelling up to the customer. Sometimes they let you know the date has been pushed back via email (not always), but never had them cancel. I've had pre-orders get pushed back over a year and they kept the order in place.

Perhaps it is only for the Fantasia 2000 DVD and they're getting their lines crossed...maybe the Blu-Ray dual pack is still on course?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  6 Sep 2010
Latest post:  27 Dec 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 [Blu-ray] [1941]
Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 [Blu-ray] [1941] by Leopold Stokowski (Blu-ray - 2010)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (55)