Purchased 3/8/2010, received 3/11/2010, finished 3/13/2010.
I bought this NMAP Cookbook along with NMAP Network Scanning, the NMAP Official Book by the developer himself.
This is literally my first book review - never felt strong enough about any other book to warrant such comments before.
For those who want to learn sanitized, no-fluff, specifics on using NMAP - this nearly 200 page "NMAP Cookbook" is a must have, highly recommended resource for any IT/IS Systems Engineer, Administrator or especially Security Professional entering the field.
Having read the book in 2 days, you too should be using NMAP like a Pro within weeks.
Straight forward and right on target with generally Single Page contents highlighting NMAPs command sets, switches, features, options and then providing just the right amount of information without overkill.
Those who prefer lean, direct, point driven directions will probably appreciate this book, just like I do.
On each page, the Author supplies simple content such as;
- Summary of its purpose (generally a single sentence),
- Sample usage/syntax (exact commands, how a user should use it),
- Real world sample of both, the command itself and its anticipated results,
- More detailed of a description,
- At the bottom, to top it off, you'll likely encounter some "Tips" or "Notes" offering just the right amount of complementary insight.
Personally, this is the best instructional book on a Security Tool I have ever seen - and this from an evaluator with 20yrs of IT/IS experience too.
I completely and fully recommend this resource to everyone interested in learning NMAP, especially those wanting quick, efficient teachings.
Good Luck and Enjoy!