- Platform: Nintendo Wii U
- PEGI Rating: Unknown
- Media: Video Game
- Item Quantity: 1
Nintendo Wii U 8GB Basic Pack - White
- Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
- IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
- Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller and Wii Balance Board.
- Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
- Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Edition: Basic Pack
Discover a wealth of exciting new ways to enjoy home entertainment with Wii U, Nintendo's next home console. With a revolutionary new touch screen controller, precision motion controls, and full HD graphics, a whole new world of play styles and gaming possibilities is on the horizon. The time is coming to truly expand your idea about what a game console is - and can be. The system includes the new 8GB Wii U console and amazing new controller.
A New Wii Console Experience
According to Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, "Wii U redefines the structure of home entertainment by fundamentally changing how the TV, the game console and the Internet function and interact together," he continues, "The experience enabled by Wii U and its new controller takes players deeper into their games, while reaching out wider than ever before to be inviting to all kinds of gamers."
Wii U combines exceptional gameplay with the ability to support full HD graphics. Each Wii U console will be paired with a new groundbreaking controller, with its 6.2-inch wide screen. Previously, video games played on a home consoles have been confined to the TV and offered identical viewpoints to each player in a multiplayer environment. The Wii U controller enhances that experience with different viewpoints available in-game and in differing games/game situations. Also, watching TV and playing console games have been completely separate experiences. The new controller removes these boundaries, creating a more dynamic and fluid gaming and entertainment experience. Examples of this new functionality include:
Within Single Player Games:
- While in-game the new controller can display information on its screen that does not appear on the TV
- The information and viewpoint can also change in the new controller based on the orientation of its gyroscope
Within Multiplayer Games:
- The player using the new controller can have a different experience than those looking at the TV creating a wider variety of competitive and cooperative opportunities
The New Controller
In addition to its 6.2-inch screen, the new controller also features an accelerometer and a gyroscope, a rumble feature, an inward-facing camera, a microphone and speakers. Adding these features to the Classic Controller button scheme -- two analog Circle Pads, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons -- will enable a breadth of gameplay experiences while appealing to both casual and dedicated video game players. The Wii U system can also use up to four additional Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus controllers and is backward compatible to all Wii games and all Wii accessories. The Wii console has sold more than 86 million units globally and greatly expanded the overall audience for video games. Wii U aims to expand that audience even further.
The Wii U Release Software Lineup
Wii U will feature a wide variety of exciting first and third party games and software at the time of system launch. Just a few of those players can expect include:
- New Super Mario Bros. Mii
- Darksiders II
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (working title)
- And Nintendo Mii-based software yet to be confirmed
- Console Size - Approximately 1.8-inches tall, 6.8-inches wide and 10.5-inches long.
- New Controller - The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog circle pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a power button, home button, +control pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers and a stylus.
- Other Controls - Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance Board.
- Media - A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
- Video Output - Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
- Audio Output - Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
- Storage - The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
- CPU - IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
- GPU - AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.
- Other - Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
Touchscreen input options.
Supports a variety of controllers.
Accelerometer & gyroscope.
Play with or without a TV.
- 8 GB memory
- Wii U Console in White
- Wii U GamePad in White
- Wii U AC Adapter
- Wii U GamePad AC Adapter
- High Speed HDMI Cable
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
That success clearly left Nintendo underestimating any need to promote this product with the same exposure. As a result, the Wii associates itself with the Wii U in quite negative ways, despite the fact that the Wii U has a 'Wii mode' built in... Confused yet?
The other mistake is of course in the name. 'Wii' works both as a universal brand and reference; a group activity. The addition of 'U' to highlight a more personal gameplay has zero impact on how this new product is an improvement over it's predecessor. The most logical names would have surely been 'Super Wii', or 'Wii 2'.
But business school over; here are some of the reasons for why the Basic Pack is a better deal over the Deluxe.
- The Game Pad Charging Cradle and Stand aren't necessities
- The eShop Digital Promotion is far from rewarding unless you spend a huge sum of money
- The Wii Remote Sensor Bar is cheap to find elsewhere (or you may already have one)
- Though the Basic Pack has only 3 to 4GB of available storage, this is plenty of room for Virtual Console content and demos, unless of course you intend to download retail games (which range between 2 and 14GB on average).
In the Wii U's teeny-tiny box you'll find
the Wii U console itself,
the Game Pad, with a stylus included,
a charging cable for the Game Pad,
AC power cable for the Wii U,
HDMI cable (which is nice and chunky, unlike cheap versions),
and of course the obligatory leaflets/manual.Read more ›
When playing games I was a little disappointed with the Nintendo eShop - topping up a balance rather than just charging my credit card for purchases - probably to avoid a merchant fee for each transaction. I'm old school - I hunt down games at High Street stores instead of downloading them. Plus, with only 8GB memory on this console - I wasn't going to spend more on memory in the bundle option - it wouldn't be long before I'd need an external hard drive just for my games.
Overall, does what it says on the tin. It's a Games Console, nothing more.
Setting up the console was very simple, once switched on you simply follow the on-screen instructions and within minutes you can start playing. If you already own the Wii, the sensor bar can be connected to the console and you can use the Wii remote and controller to play all your original Wii games. An external hard drive or USB drive can also be connected to increase the total memory available for your games.
To get the most out of this console you will need to download the latest system update.
This update adds a LOT of extra features as well as improving the overall speed of the system software.
The only thing that lets the Wii U down some what for me is the Gamepad's battery. Once fully charged you will only get between 3-5 hours of use out of it before it needs to be charged again. This is a minor inconvenience however and I still think it is a great console overall and look forward to seeing the new games and features released later in the year.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Bought for Christmas. Works as it should. My son loves his. arrived quick too.Published 1 month ago by shona
Fantastic and amazing we're the words my young son used to describe this product.
It was easy to assemble onto our main TV and I love the fact that he can continue to play on... Read more
Wish I'd bought an Xbox, I think it might have lasted longer than 13 months!!Published 1 month ago by Emma S
The reason for only two stars is that there simply isn't enough storage on this 8gb version. One game filled up the storage space after only being played for 1 hour. Read morePublished 1 month ago by racheljeffery
Since I got this I have completed more games in one year than in the previous ten. My standouts are Mario Kart, Zombi U, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Fergus Reid
The console came glitched. I couldn't start the system and had to send it off for repairs. It works pretty much fine now but be warned.Published 2 months ago by Peter Kellagher