on 8 June 2015
I recently got a PS4 and after selling my old phone to O2 for a £105 amazon gift card and seeing this bundle at the time dropped to £207 I thought why not purchase this? I had heard people say "Third parties are not supporting it", "There are no games for it so why get it?", "It's under powered compaired to the PS4 and XBOX ONE." But I had heard nothing but good things about it from people who own it. Yes two of the above is true but there are games for it! I bought five others to go with this and I can tell you it's a brilliant console. It's graphics are on par with the XBOX 360 and the Nintendo games look brilliant on it. It comes with a HDMI but the console does support Component if you chose that for some weird reason. Another plus is Amazon are selling a lot of the older games for under £10, I got the two Batman Games and ZombiU for well under £20 together, plus Mario Kart 8 which is worth getting the console alone to play. The Virtual console is awesome and you can play those games directly on the Gamepad itself. Speaking of which, the Gamepad is super comfortable to play on and the picture quality on the screen is very good, you even even watch Netflix on the Gamepad should you decided to have the TV off. I highly recommend buying a new battery for the gamepad as the battery life in the one provided is poor, get the official Nintendo one too as the third party ones have been known to damage the gamepad, it's not worth the risk.

Lego City Undercover is a great game that came with this bundle, and I have had so much fun playing it. Think GTA with Lego and you are playing a cop rather than the villain. Brilliant use of the Gamepad and funny dialogue and great game play. Overall, it is worth getting the Wii U. Very underrated.
I finally decided to buy a Wii U after sitting on the fence since it's release, with the latest launch of Mario Kart 8 I thought the special edition would make a perfect addition to my collection of Nintendo consoles. This price drop makes it £110 cheaper than the PS4 and a whopping £160 lower than the XB1. Almost 2 years on from it's initial release I think it's time to share my opinions

The console is small in stature and only slightly larger than the Wii, the premium version has a glossy black finish while the basic version is a glossy white. It is considerably smaller than the other next gen systems at about 20% volume of the XB1 + Kinect. Both the Wii U tablet and pro pad are also very well designed, both are built to a very high glossy quality.

You also have to take into consideration that both the PS4 and XB1 are not backward compatible, and the input/output lag of the XB1 obliterates any possibility of using the 'HDMI IN' function for anything other that viewing video. The Wii U however is fully compatible with every Wii game and console accessory which opens it's software library up to well over a thousand games, many of which are considered the best of all time such as Mario Galaxy 1+2, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I paid £475 for my XB1 at launch with a bundled Fifa 14 and a separate copy of Forza 5, in the months since I've never felt so mugged off in all my life... While the PS4 and XB1 are more powerful their game libraries are very poor, even almost 1 year after their releases neither have a game worth buying the console for.

The criticisms of the Wii U always centre on two things:

The lower processing power in relation to XB1/PS4, and it's library (or lack of) games. Both of these points I've since discovered are actually false...

The Wii U has less processing power yes, but not a single game has even came close to pushing the hardware. Assassin's Creed 4 is the classic example. The Wii U has a completely different architecture to other systems, this isn't showcasing lower power but rather a lazy conversion which is evident in all the cross format games. Next is the library of games, the Wii U currently has 9 exclusive full release games scoring more than 80% on Metacritic compared to the PS4's 2 (inFamous + The Last of Us) and the XB1's 1 (Titanfall, which is hugely overated).

Next is the online play, Sony and Microsoft has been infested with American, racist, rage kids for the past 10 years and it sours the online experience, you can't go into a pre-game lobby without having some obnoxious child shout abuse at you down the mic. There's entire Youtube channels devoted to abusing gamers and provoking a reaction, such is gaming on MS and Sony machines.

If your not being abused verbally then there's the cheaters using lag switches and aim bots and making it pointless even trying to play online as you have no chance. The absolute worse thing about this is Sony and Microsoft's complete inaction against this even though you're PAYING for online access, chances are if you've played COD online for these systems then you've came across cheaters. This really annoys me as a 12 month XB Live subscription is £40 but MS don't even police their own servers, I stopped my XB Live last year shortly after the XB1 release.

Online access for the Wii U is free, and there is no difference in the speed or availability of servers. In fact when I've been online with Mario Kart 8 I'm almost always instantly put into a pre game lobby.

I bought COD: Ghosts when it was £15 on the Wii U and it was a revelation, first of all you're playing against Nintendo gamers and not rage kids. Pre game lobbies were always filled with mature, like minded gamers who you could chat to and have a joke with, not the typical MS or Sony rage kid.

Second is the cheats, I've put about 20 hours into this and I haven't came across a single cheater, no lag switches or aim bots. The Wii U has restored my faith in online gaming.

At this moment in time the Wii U is the best choice for next gen gaming, it has the better exclusive games currently out and coming in the future, is cheaper and has far better online community which is free.
11 comment11 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2014
I originally purchased this to give a new lease of life to my unloved wii games, considering it to be a hardware upgrade to something more on par with the ps3/360's capabilities...
My progress on skyward sword remains the same, I have not touched my dead space save, Mario remains in the same spot & princess peach goes on unrescued. It has kept me from my ever growing playstation plus library and my incomplete achievement lists on my 360, my zombie count has ceased counting up in dead rising 3 and my k/d ratio is unchanged in killzone shadowfall...
Lego City Undercover is a complete gaming joy and worth getting the system for, I have not stopped laughing since the first cutscene, plenty in there for gamers of all ages and tastes, never taking itself too seriously whilst offering great level structure & quality gameplay.
What with super Mario 3d world recently out and Mario kart 8 out in may & now being able to play original wii titles on the gamepad thanks to the latest big OS update, you can't pass up on this entirely underrated console. It was so easy to transfer all the data and peripherals from my wii to the wii u, if you have a pre existing catalogue I'd encourage you to just take the plunge and upgrade your hardware. Even If you're an avid gamer without any wii paraphernalia, I'd still encourage you to get it for this PG GTA and the other highly rated titles out there for this system. Ok the library isn’t that extensive and past it’s exclusives, practically non existent, but for the titles that are already there and the potential of this solid platform… 5 stars
on 20 May 2015
From Santa to my son, one happy boy, arrived well packaged and everything in one piece. No complaints.
on 2 February 2014
I got this for a good price for my 6 year old for xmas. He loves it and has had lots of fun. We also bought skylanders swap force, rayman and super mario 3d. It has wifi and internet but that seems a bit useless as he can't go on iplayer or play games on kids websites like nick jr.
on 8 September 2015
I love the Wii U, think it has a lot of potential and its a shame that they didn't sell well. I still have to try out the game, but as it is a lego game I am sure I will enjoy it, and test out the Wii U controller.
on 17 November 2014
Everything was awsome! Great product. Fantastic for the younger gamer. Delivery service was second to none.
on 8 July 2015
Not bad although we have found it a big awkward to figure out what to do sometimes.
on 10 April 2015
What can I say, it's Nintendo and Lego. BRILLIANT console BRILLIANT game
on 3 December 2014
My 10 year old loves lego & mario so win win!

See one answered question