on 28 July 2014
I have been waiting ages for an album with these classic songs on together, some real gems on here. But a MIX, come on, why ruin these songs by mixing them and cutting out the best bits, and not a good mix either! If only I had seen the word mix in the title I would have avoided! Message to the makers, please release these songs in a compilation without the mix. There are songs I want on here in their entirety and would happily buy it, as I am sure others would too!
on 30 October 2015
CD buyers ..CAUTION
The rating is no reflection on the music genre
It highlights concerns about track timings and descriptions of tracks on the CD
I have only had chance to compare CD1 with MP3 version.
Must say I am very disappointed that some fantastic tunes have been 'butchered' by Rhino for the CD version
Obviously in an attempt to squeeze as many tracks possible across 3 CDs.Shameful! Sacrilege to great music era.
This is not acceptable and I am surprised Nile Rogers a true master of the genre has allowed or consented the songs to be hacked to squeeze them onto 3 cds .
Why not put 4 CDs into a nice limited edition box with the full 12" extended remastered versions?
Here is a sample of track timings from CD 1 only
Chic Everybody dance. CD 3.00 min 12" mix ? MP3 8.27 min 12" mix
Chaka Khan. I'm every woman. CD. 3.45min. MP3. 8.22 min
Instant Funk Got my mind made up. CD 3.14min. MP3. 9.48. min
Jackson's. Shake your body. CD. 4.29min. MP3. 8.36 min
Loleatta Holloway Love Sensation. CD. 3.29min. MP3. 6.34 min Tom Moulton Mix
Jackie Moore.This time baby. CD. 3.22min. Extended dance mix ? MP3. 7.12 min. Extended dance mix
GQ Disco nights. CD. 4.38min. MP3. 8.41 min. 12" version
Jingo Candido. CD. 4.11min. MP3. 9.53 min

The list goes on .......and that is just CD1!
How the CD version can describe an 'Extended dance mix' as 3.22 minutes long is legally in my opinion ' Not as described ' and the description awarded to some tracks could be a breach under UK Sale of Goods Act
Beware CD buyers.Those passionate about the music steer well clear from CD version.Not a good choice im afraid to say.
Record companies' attempt to make as much money as possible by reducing track timings which is not the way tracks like Jingo /Candido were intended to be heard.
Rhino should be ashamed of themselves.Nile Rogers I'm surprised you put your name on the CD collection
It's either all or nothing.
I hav'nt even checked CD 2 or CD 3.Mine has gone straight back to Amazon
Stay with the MP3 version with 3 extra tracks 67 in total and proper extended mixes
on 15 August 2014
I thought Elton John's Are you ready for love, the 1st track on disc 1 a curious choice. Not a fan of his music, I can skip the 1st track and enjoy the rest of the disc and the other two discs. Some reviewers did not like the mix, preferring whole tracks, but I love it. I own many of the tracks on vinyl LP's and singles. I prefer CD's and the reproduction is much better than the originals. Also, there are a number of tracks I am unfamiliar with, but like. I think this is an excellent compilation and no Gloria Gaynor I will survive! The two Chaka Kahn numbers I have on cassette, so the tape will be thrown away now, these discs have much better sound quality. Such good value and 60 tracks hours of listening pleasure. Many good memories listening to these CD's.
on 13 October 2014
This collection is not quite what it seems.

It has been discounted to (at the time of writing) a few pounds so I thought I would take a punt on it.

The CD is a nicely made continuous mix of the songs as listed and is fine if you like mix CDs.

The AutoRip download comes with 3 long tracks (the mix as on the CDs as far as I can tell) totalling 464 MB and 64 individual tracks totalling 808 MB.

I've not checked them all out, but it seems that the 64 tracks are the source tracks for the mix to enable you to do it yourself at home if you don't like the version on the CD.

Some of the individual tracks may not be the version you might have hoped for of the song but do investigate the AutoRip as well.
on 1 August 2014
I felt let down by this CD, as like others I was hoping for the full 12 inches of some of the tracks listed.
Some of the tracks get put on Disco CDs time and time again, I am fed up with hearing them.
I bought this as I needed to replace some of the tracks that have been damaged on my other CDs.
The mix of 'Spacer' into 'Ring my bell' is clever, but then look at the playing time for Spacer and it barely reaches 3 mins.
I was hoping for the full length version of this track, as another CD I had it on, in full, has scratches on it.
Then there is a shortening of 'Jump to the beat' right at the best bit.......... and many more examples of shortening of 12 inch tracks, why do that?
I do not think that Nile Rodgers actually worked on this at all, if he did he would not have done such cutting into tracks, and it is not the best mixing I have heard, he's just given the rights to his songs on it and endorsed it.
Back in the day I used to work in many night clubs when DJs mixed with vinyl on the decks, for much better seamless, and creative, results.
I like it, but it is not the best CD I have.
on 12 July 2014
Like others, I missed the 'mix' description and was really disappointed by the end product - great timeless songs but ruined by the nonstop delivery -some songs even have lost the best parts of the beginning and end - an opportunity wasted in my book!
on 1 September 2014
I was expecting this CD to be awful after reading the reviews about the tracks being mixed but I found it to be fine.
For £6 you get 64 tracks. I agree that it would be amazing to have the full 12" versions on this CD but there would be less tracks (not that it would be an issue).
I thought the mixing was fine, it didn't ruin my listening experience and because the tracks are so short I get to listen to a lot of tracks driving into work (and getting my groove on).
This is a great CD for someone wanted to discover/ remember some classics or new to disco.
It's reminded me of some of the songs I forgot about and prompted me get the full 12" versions.
on 8 July 2014
It's a "mixed" CD! there's no 12 inches versions as indicated!!! don't buy it
on 30 December 2014
This looked to be a great buy but let down as the 12 inch versions only have 2 or 3 minutes then mix into the next track, thought it was too good to be true. Why say 12 inch versions when you're only going to use 2 or 3 minutes?
on 2 August 2014
A very good collection of tracks on this compilation. Mixed well, coming from a personal thing I would have preferred to have had the tracks unmixed, and the tracks be in their full length version. Beggars cannot be chooser's, as they say.Still recommended it though.