on 19 October 2011
It wasn't too difficult to choose these binoculars, as they were the only Which? Best Buy ones that are waterproof, which I need to use in all weathers when I am walking, and I wanted a pair that would fit easily into my rucksack. For the money I paid they great, I would strongly recommend that you shop around to get the best price. I got mine from an independent camera shop - I would also strongly recommend that you try binoculars out before your buy them, to make sure you are happy with how they feel in your hands, and how easy they are to focus etc. This particular pair gives a nice bright clear image. the dioptre adjustment for the right eye (which you need to adjust if your eyes are different strengths) is very stiff indeed to adjust, but if you are the only one using them, you will only need to set it once; also the advantage of this is that the adjustment will not get accidentally knocked out of position. In general it is recommended that for general use you get 8x magnification, because when you get to 10x and above, hand shake can become a problem, and the image will not look quite as bright. These binoculars can focus really close, which would be handy if you want to watch small birds on your lawn from the patio.
0Comment55 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2009
Nikon 8X25 Travelite Ex Binoculars

These binoculars are lightweight, waterproof, ruggid and are ideal for the casual birdwatcher.
They are also suitable for travel and sport.

Image is bright and the "screw-down" eye cups are most suitable for spectacle wearers.
They are easy to hold even for those with small hands (lady or a child).
Highly recommended at a reasonable price.
0Comment40 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2013
These bins are pretty impressive for their dinky size! Have tried a few 8 x 25s in the high street and these are the best by far. Bought for taking rambling/walking - will be excellent for bird watching, even though only 8 x 25. Have already got a pair of 8 x 42 (Barr & Stroud) specifically for bird watching, but I could be very tempted now, to take these on long walks instead of the 8 x 42s, they're that good!

I didn't find the eye covers quite so loose as other reviewers suggest, but I can see they could be when getting in and out of a rucksack. However, if bins turned inwards a bit (as needed for my viewing), that tends to hold the covers in place better. Of course, can easily attach them to the neck strap, to ensure they're not lost. As far as the end lenses covers are concerned (objective lenses they're apparently called), they do not have covers, as the shape of the binoculars would make it difficult for them to stay on (as suggested by Nikon's very helpful service department). They do have a good protective bag for protection however.

If you're looking for a compact pair of bins size 8 x 25, in my opinion, there is no need to look further - buy these without doubt! Can't wait to try them out on the hills.

Also, wanted to thank all the reviewers for their reviews - it was because of them, that I bought these. Doubt I would have spent the money online, for something I had not seen/held in a shop, if not for the excellent reviews. Thank you to Amazon too! The hassle of trawling the shops is not necessary anymore, what with both Amazon's choice of products and the reliable reviews, finding something like these little gems, is now as easy as ever! I fear for the high street!!!
on 25 June 2013
I have had a pair of Zeiss(west)10x50 porro for over 40 years. At the time of purchase they were considered the best binocular made and are still in mint condition. However they weigh a kilogram and when walking any distance are heavy around the neck. I wanted a smaller pair to just put in my pocket when out and about and just use the 10x50s when stationary. The Nikon Travelite EX 8x25s are an excellent binocular. The image is sharp and very bright and excellent quality for the price. Weighing in at about one third of the 10x50 they are carried effortlessly. They feel well put together and the moving parts operate smoothly. They are waterproof but like all optical instruments are better kept free from water. The case comes with a loop to fit on a waist belt but I attached a long webbing strap so I can carry them around my neck which is easier. All in all a very good buy.
on 25 November 2011
After a lot of research I purchased these binoculars as they are very resonably priced. I am using them for Birding on the move. I am a beginer so these are excellent for now. Quality as you would expect from Nikon is very good.
on 21 July 2012
Picked these like others based on a Which? review. Excellent product, very clear image, very easy to use and small and light. Very pleased with my choice, especially as they're waterproof unlike many other similar ones. The service from Camarthen Cameras was fantastic too - very prompt and helpful reply to an email enquiry, and super-fast delivery. Highly recommend both.
on 13 August 2014
Great binoculars - robust and compact. They are the perfect weight for me and are easy to use. Magnification is very good and the image clarity is excellent. I used these binoculars two nights ago to look at the Super Moon and was pleasantly surprised to see how much detail that was evident. Extremely pleased with this purchase so far.
on 5 August 2014
Porro prism binoculars will always perform better than a roof prism in the same price range due to the fact that porro prisms don’t require expensive phase coatings. This is the reason i chose these over a 25mm roof prism, the image quality is outstanding for a 25mm lens, excellent brightness even in dull light, great resolution, no colour fringing, great depth of view.
The focus wheel is easy to use & smooth, the eye cups give perfect eye relief.
They feel well made & feel good to hold, comparing these side by side with my 8X42 roof prism binoculars (phase coated) makes me think that these will be my goto bins with the image quality almost the same with only the brightness slightly worse (but these are half the size & weight)
The only minor negative is the fact that these are slightly more bulky than 25mm roof prisms, this is only the width which is around 30mm more than a roof prism, this is a small price to pay for the excellent image quality. All in outstanding compact bins for the money.
PS, if you shop around you can get these for a much lower price.
on 26 January 2015
Excellent. Used these on Thursday for the first time and my first time with a Bird watching group. Good short focusing as well as distance, clear, light and waterproof, although the latter has not been tested yet, living in Cumbria, I am sure it will be in the not too distant future
on 8 January 2015
Arrived well packaged within 2 days. Item as stated, used for general viewing when out on coastal walks.
Lightweight, so pleased i immediately otdered another pair for my daughter

See one answered question