Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Aug 2012 15:49:20 BDT
valsayer says:
Can anyone advise me (a point and shoot amateur) why rectangular objects towards the side of an image are distorted eg. buildings seem to be leaning ? Is this because of the wide angle lens? Is there a setting I need to adjust? I have only just bought this camera, based on the postive reviews, but generally am not impressed as the images don't seem to be any better than that of the cheaper Kodak camera it replaced.

Posted on 22 Sep 2012 15:33:12 BDT
stellablade says:
I've noticed this too. Today I took a photograph and on the far right of the picture there's a telegraph pole leaning 30 degrees to the left. It's irritating. I'm guessing this is just a side effect of the wide angle lens and lack of technique. Any advice?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 17:47:30 BDT
valsayer says:
I'm finding it very irritating too! I contacted Nikon support with a sample photo and got the following reply:-
"Versatile lenses like such as the wide to telephoto zoom lens on the S8200 will unfortunately have limitations to the design in order to enable them to fit in such a compact design. In general though, lens distortion is something that can occur at the wide end of certain zoom lenses, even some D-SLR lenses. The level of distortion exhibited in the sample supplied looks to be within acceptable boundaries for the camera.
However if you are not happy with the performance of your Coolpix S8200 you can have it serviced to ensure it's all working with expectations of this model."

I'm not sure whether it's worth sending it away if they think the photos are acceptable (!) and if you have noticed the same. I downloaded a trial version of their advanced (and expensive) photo editing software CaptureNX but the image distortion feature didn't seem to address this particular problem so it looks as if I am going to have to put up with it!

Posted on 22 Sep 2012 18:03:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2012 18:06:43 BDT
stellablade says:
Well I've done some reading around. Distortion, such as pincushioning and barrelling, is very common with all cameras. Even expensive DSLRs, especially when photographing buildings and other upright objects. There are some techniques you can use to help prevent distortion and many post processing software packages include image distortion correction features. I'm inclined to agree with what Nikon have told you (sorry!) unless it's happening in photographs where you wouldn't expect it. I'm a complete amateur and this is just one more thing I'm chalking down to my lack of expertise! I'm tempted to go out tomorrow and try out some of the techniques for minimising distortion. Apparently most DSLRs now have distortion processing built in to the software on the camera. So the lenses themselves aren't built to minimise image distortion as the post processing is so effective.

Yes, annoyingly I don't think CaptureNX will do the job. Photoshop Elements will I think. I'm looking for something that will do the job on the iPad. That's where I do most of my photo uploading and processing with apps like Snapseed.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 18:26:41 BDT
valsayer says:
Thanks for the advice. I've looked on my camera and it doesn't have the setting to adjust image distortion as do some Nikons. As an amateur, I only have basic photo editing software, but if you find one that does the trick I'll be pleased to hear about it! Otherwise, although my camera is only just over a month old, I'm tempted to cut my losses and get another!

Posted on 22 Sep 2012 21:23:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2012 21:25:37 BDT
stellablade says:
I don't think you're going to find a better camera at this price point. Even then I imagine you would still find issues with image distortion, unless you spend a lot more and get a DLSR. And they're not immune of course! I'm guessing you're a bit of perfectionist like myself! I'm going to look at this as something all digital cameras are prone to, and try to work around it, either by improving my technique or post processing with distortion correction. Or buying a more expensive camera :-)

http://www.snapjunky.com/digicam-advanced/digital-camera-pincushion-distortion-facts.shtml

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/54451.aspx

Posted on 13 Nov 2012 00:40:16 GMT
ALL cameras suffer from this. Do not expect to replace the camera and necessaril improve this. DSLR have very expensive lenses and they still suffer from it.
Shorter Zooms may be better if this is important to you. Lenses with wide ranging Zooms have to make compramises.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  16 Aug 2012
Latest post:  13 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 14x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 14x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) by Nikon
4.5 out of 5 stars   (169)