on 2 November 2010
This is an excellent lens from Nikon, and I would highly recommend it. The colours, contrast and sharpness produced by it are simply wonderful. Build quality is semi-professional, but the optics are pro all the way. I'm comparing this to the 24-70 f2.8 which I owned briefly in the past, and frankly I can see only small differences in the results produced by each lens. This 24-120 is also considerably lighter, shorter (when the zoom is retracted) and slightly cheaper. A great choice for advanced amateurs and professional photographers.

As a walkaround, this lens has replaced the 24-85 f2.8/4, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8 and 70-300mm f4.5/5.6 in my bag, and my photography has improved massively as a result as I am concentrating on the photograph rather than the equipment. I'd made a calculation of the numbers of photographs taken with each lens, and furthermore at what focal lengths, and I found 99% of them were in the 35-180mm DX focal length range which this 24-120 offers a D300 user such as myself. Best of all, is that when I eventually move on to FX Nikon, this lens comes with me.

This is an expensive piece of glass, shown by the gold ring, but worth every penny. I love the results this lens has produced for me so far, and look forward to continuing to use it as my normal 'one-lens' solution. I've found that the only other lens left in my collection, the 50mm f1.4 G AFS is a perfect accompaniment to the 24-120, and finds plenty of use in very poor light and for portraits. If you are considering a walkaround do-it-all type of lens, this is it.
33 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2014
After 50 years of photography and dozens of cameras and lenses, I have come to this conclusion. This is the lens I have been looking for all my life. I have always had a problem with camera shake from youth. Many of the fantastic prime lenses I used from Pentax, Olympus and Nikon were never seen at their greatest potential unless I used a tripod. However this zoom lens fitted to a D600 body with the combination of its weight and balance plus the best VR I have used on a Nikon lens means I can now shoot at or below 1/25th second regularly without shake. I always believed I could capture 90% of shots with a 24mm and a 105mm and this lens gives it all. The colour rendition is so impressive and the control of flare is very good. Corner sharpness has not been an issue for me and I can't see any problems with the sample I have. I used to carry a bag of primes - 20mm 2.8, 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8G but got tired of juggling and struggling with all this equipment. Now I am freed up and can focus on composing shots within the boundries of this lens which is no restriction and very little difference in quality to the primes. If you think you need better bokeh for then I can only recommend the 85mm 1.8G which is mind blowing in performance but perhaps too sharp for portraits. Having said that I have found this 24-120 zoom wonderful for portraits because of the neutral flesh tones, sharpness and adequate bokeh. I have been buying and selling Nikon cameras and lenses for some years now and have tested all of them. After all this collected information I can honestly say this is the best overall lens I have handled from Nikon under £1000.
on 1 May 2014
I bought the original 24-120 some time ago and was never satisfied with it (lack of sharpness and clarity). I sold it and bought the 28-300. Though ok this lens again is not up to my (and Nikon's old) standards, and when focussing close (say up to 5 metres) the 300mm setting is only equivalent to 180mm. Nikon know this and seem to think it is acceptable.. Decided to try the new f4 24-120.
It is superb, as sharp as any zoom lens I have used. No contrast or flare problems. Very slight barrel distortion at 24, but not significant and less than the 28-300 at 28.Thoroughly recommend it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 November 2010
I had the previous version of the 24-120 and it performed poorly on my D700. It'd been better on my old D60 but unacceptable on the full frame D700 which makes use of the whole lens not just the central bit. Mine ended up on ebay after just 2 weeks!

Given the poor previous incarnations of this lens I was a bit concerned and did a lot of tests between this and other quality lenses I own. It came out better than my previous mid range zoom - the Nikon 24-85. It was very close in quality to the Nikon 16-35. At the centre nothing much between the two - only in the corners was it obvious the 16-35 was the better lens. The 16-35 was also a better performer at f4 - stopped down to f8 and differences were virtually unnoticeable.

The 24-120 doesn't perform quite as well at the long end. I compared to my Nikon 70-300mm and the 70-300 was clearly sharper at the edges at all focal lengths and apertures. Again not much difference in the centre.

Having said all that the differences were on the whole quite small and acceptable - the lens is acceptable at all apertures or zoom length.

However I did notice the 24-120 has good contrast - certainly better than the Nikon 24-85.

After a lot of pixel peeping I took the lens out for some proper photography. I took some great shots - sharp, contrasty and loved the flexibility of this lens.

In summary this lens is not going to be as sharp as a bag of expensive prime lenses. Or even short range zoom lenses. Convenience means some compromise on quality - but the compromise is very small and acceptable where you want to travel light.
on 8 August 2015
This a a great lens and good value for a 'pro' spec lens with a gold ring. Ideal as a 'do it all' lens, I bought it in preference to the much more expensive 24-70mm as it has VR and much longer reach. It's very sharp and has great contrast and colour rendition. I use it with a D610 and it's a great combination.

The only issue I'd say you need to be aware of is there is quite heavy barrel distortion at the wide end but you can usually fix this in Lightroom easily. There's also noticeable vignetting at 24mm but this is even easier to fix.

I shot a wedding with this recently and the couple were delighted with the results although next time I will also take something with a 2.8 or bigger aperture for the shallow DOF shots.

All in all, highly recommended if you want a general purpose lens for FX.
on 22 March 2014
There is almost nothing this lens does exceptionally well. There is almost nothing this lens does exceptionally horrible either.

And that IS the point.

If you can only take 1 lens with you, take this one. I'm seeing rocks being thrown at me now ("the whole point of a DSLR is the ability to change lens blablabla"). Sure mate, but it may not always be possible to bring the right lens and/or predict what lens you will need to use.

The 24-120 is a compromise (we all know it is) and that is why it deserves the 5 stars.
- EDGE resolution is good (24mm) to decent (50mm) to usable (120mm) even on a D800. No superlative in either direction.
- Sharpness drops sharply - no pun intended - at around 85mm (if you need to demonstrate the very subtle difference between sharpness and resolution, use this lens at 85mm!) but again usable.
- VR makes it usable in low light, not at motion freezing but at least for landscape
- This lens used to be sold at a ridiculous £1,200 which was an absolute rip-off. However, its price has dropped to around £800 which makes it excellent value.
- It's a bit heavy (about 700gr) but still lighter than some pro lenses out there
- It's weather resistance i.e. it should work ok if you are realistic about it. For example don't keep on zooming in and out when it's pouring.
- With cropping on the D800, 120mm can easily become usable 200mm.

Let's try to compare it to other similar lenses
- Sigma 24-105 has better image quality but it's not weather resistance
- Nikon 24-70 f2.8 has f2.8 but no VR and is way more expensive
- Tamron 24-70 f2.8 USD has f2.8 but doesn't have the same reach

So basically, it's like your spouse. There are models out there who are way hotter, chefs who cook way better, traders who make way more money, and so on and so forth. But as a whole package, you don't want anyone else.

*ok fine, that's not really a good analogy but you get the point LOL*
on 23 September 2011
Good Nikon lenses are not cheap and deciding to replace the 24-120 f3.5-4.5 kit lens that came with my Nikon D700 with an almost identical lens for a big outlay was not easy. However, the lens has really lived up to the reviews and the two lenses are like chalk and cheese. The original lens has a bad reputation but in truth aint as bad as they say depending upon your needs and the body you use it on. If you are serious about your images though then this f4 lens is superb. The improvement in sharpness and clarity and colour edge to edge was markedly different. An excellent travel lens, this functions as my prime and I find I hardly ever switch to a super wide or telephoto.
on 21 March 2013
Firstly the lens arrived in lightning time. Excellent service Amazon. This lens is an excellent addition to any kit and the image quality is outstanding. No lens creep whatsoever and a nice reassuring weight. Perfect for my D300s. Some may say expensive, but in my view worth every penny and it has a very nice firm quality feel. A good investment if you ever want to upgrade to FX but works beautifully on DX and extends the boundaries if you already have a 16-85mm DX and need to start at a longer focal length. Just move your feet. Coupled with a Tokina 12-24mm if carrying two lenses and you've got all you really need.
on 14 June 2011
I absolutely love this lens. I usually shoot with a 14-24mm f2.8 wide, a 70-200mm f2.8 long and anything in between i use a 35mm prime or 50mm prime and move around a bit more. I came about this lens as i had to attend the FIA European RallyX at Lydden Hill with Rockstar Energy and I didn't want to lug all my kit on a particularly hot day when also feeling a little tired from a hectic week! Borrowed from a fellow tog, he assured me of it's excellent optics and nice balance and said it would be fine to cover the day hassle free. I put my trust in him and took two D300 bodies, one with a 35mm Prime and the other with this little beauty!

I have to say this lens is excellent, it is still on the large side with a 77mm filter thread but is still classed as a Nikon Pro lens (Complete with gold ring on the bezel) the size is not an issue at all though and it generally just feels like you have a wide angle onboard! The weight is pretty perfect and this weighs in at just under a Kilogram (710g) so it's a nice balance to a semi-pro body or a breeze on an FX body. The build quality is brilliant and you can expect the usual quality you find with Nikons Pro glass.

The shots i took with this lens were a nice surprise, it focuses exceptionally quick and didn't hunt once and the images were tack sharp, even at 24mm it stayed sharp and no softness, there was also no distortion. I have heard both of these poke they're ugly heads up on FX bodies but for DX there wasn't a problem. At around f7.1 this Lens dominates and i found it to be more of a showstopper than the 24-70mm f2.8, i know that's blasphemy but it was! And it absolutely hands the 17-55mm f2.8 DX it's rear on a plate! Both those lenses are £200 BNIB more than this one as well! On DX it wasn't quite wide enough and a little extra would be nice but the long end totally made up for that! The 120mm was perfect reach for close up action and in PP i managed to get away with a good crop to bring it in further. The Nano Crystal coating is as expected and reduces flare amazingly, i didn't get any unless shooting straight in the line of the sun, with the free lens hood you get as well, you can totally say goodbye to flare full stop!

This lens is perfect for a Kit lens on DX without a doubt, i have now bought one just as a quick pick-up in last minute situations. Combined with a wide-angle and a long tele of the 300mm variety you prob wouldn't need anything else if only to fine tune. The price tag is a little high but then it's cheaper than a 24-70mm f2.8 BNIB or the same price SH and id def go for the 24-120mm any day of the week and you get an extra 50mm. It's 10x better than the awful 17-55mm f2.8 DX and again same price or cheaper BNIB, although not wider but just move around if your short on pennies!

Overall an excellent lens and does what it's supposed to do, any questions, just ask as im sure ive left details out.
on 28 January 2015
Much has already been said about this lens, about the build quality, optical strengths and so on, so I will confine my review to the need to use the AF Fine-tune option on your particular Nikon camera body. As everyone should be aware, cameras, lenses and motor cars are all built to a tolerance - not helped in many cases by individual components being built or assembled in different factories. So to with Nikon gear, of no matter how refined the process there is a real need to 'fine tune' this lens on the camera. It has been my experience with colleagues and friends who, like me own this excellent optic, that this requirement has manifested itself. Further, the degree to which fine tuning has been required, in all except one has been to the tune of '-20' . That is the maximum adjustment provided by Nikon for any lens/camera combo. In my case I found this degree of focus shift on both the D810 and the D3X, both of which, once tuned produce exceptional results.