Price:£139.99+ £10.50 shipping

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 December 2013
Owned a few of these at various times and you bascially get an ok lens for your money.
However, what was quite decent a few years ago is now struggling with the newer sensors on the market.

The build is about what you expect for a kit lens, fairly cheap plastic, no lens hood, a plastic mount. You get VR which is good for about 3 stops, the lens performs respectably well for a kit lens (one of the better ones v other makers, the Pentax kit lens being by far the weakest)
All the usual points about a kit lens apply here, though CA can be an issue on this lens more so at the wide end than other focal lengths. As usual some distortion at the 18mm mark too.

Problem here is, whilst it was perfectly ok years ago, we are now up to 24mp on APS-C models with Nikon. Having used this lens on a 24mp sensor all the way down to older 6mp bodies, I can say it worked pretty well for 6-12mp, above that it's questionable for a purchase choice. If you can get one for only a bit more than the body only by all means get one, either to keep as a spare or sell later on. If you are using 16-24mp cameras, you will be much better off with a better quality lens. Nikon's 18-105mm is better optically than this, other lenses such as the Sigma/Tamron 17-50mm offerings are significantly better both in build and sharpness.

Maybe Nikon will update the lens to deal with these new more demanding sensors, right now I think you are better off putting your money towards something better.
on 20 July 2009
I bought this to replace the kit lens (same, but not VR) which got very fine sand in it, making the zoom rather... gritty. Same great lens, but with VR (useful at 55mm, not at 18mm!) to help with those night shots. If you have to replace your original lens, as I did, then the VR is worth the little extra cost.
on 5 January 2013
The lens performed OK for about a month and then became tacky and slow to focus/zoom. Then after six weeks it fell apart whilst still on the camera. The inner components dislodged and fell out, I then saw that zoom mechanism inside the lens is constructed of cheap plastic tubes with felt strips to hold the lens in place when zoomed. Very poor design and worse construction. Made in China again. Nikon will repair it but it will be away weeks and it will still be a plastic zoom mechanism when it comes back. Unsatisfactory from the Nikon brand. The Vivitar and Sigma versions have superior build quality. I fear that this cheap lens was built to a price not a specification.
on 12 August 2012
I have three of these lenses, one for each of my cameras -a D40, D90 and D7000. Whilst this may seem crazy, and I should just have one, and use it on whichever camera I decide to shoot with, I decided, due to it's very good optics and cheap price, to kit out all three cameras and use it as my 'base' pick it up and shoot lens. The zoom gearing feels firm and smooth, and the build quality pretty good for a low cost kit piece. It's all plastic - no metal mount sadly, but treat it with care and it will serve you well. Autofocus is good, but switching it over to manual is not such a great experience! The focus ring is right at the front of the lens and is too fast, with too short a rotation over it's range, however, to aleviate this situation, clip on the HB 45 hood and it can be used with far greater control, by using the hood to rotate the focusing ring at a slower gearing.
As I team mine up with extension tubes for macro, it works very well with the fine focusing tolerances one requires for such subjects, and will help with flare, plus accidental knocks too. Naturally a dedicated macro will be the best solution if you are interested in shooting the small world, but this works OK and is optically very sharp. I've made some insect shots that were very detailed and won praise from other photographers, so it's a cheap way in to macro for one. In short this is a surprisingly good lens, made more so with VR in place, and is well worth having in your bag!
on 20 February 2013
I bought this to replace the trusty 18-70 lens that came with my D70 in 2005. After about 42000 shots and the occasional bash, the autofocus was no longer reliable and this
lens was cheap enough that it made no sense not to just buy it. I pair it with a 10-24, a 70-300 and a 35mm f1.8. I expect this to be a main lens for most of the shots that I take,
for which it is remarkably cheap.

Compared with the 18-70, this is small and light. It takes standard 52mm filters, which are cheap and easy to find. The VR is really not that useful on such a short zoom, especially
at wide angle settings - seems something of a gimmick to sell the lens - I've never really felt the need for VR on the 18-70. My wife pairs one with a 55-200mm - this really is a great combination to capture
most of the shots that you might want to take, and is much cheaper than the Nikon 18-200 (and a similar weight). The only negative is changing the lens.
Losing 15mm does make some difference to how close you can get, but the quality of the photos that I've taken seems just as good on the whole as the 18-70.
Some of the silver tape trim is coming off the front of my wife's 18-55 after a few years but this makes no practical difference. She has taken some excellent
shots, including closeups, for which this works pretty well.

One thing that isn't obvious is there's no lens hood and no attachment to fit one. This is a bit annoying but I haven't yet noticed excessive flare.
If I find it's a problem, I'll try to find one that fits into the filter screw. There also isn't a soft case as far as I can tell. That isn't a real problem,
since I have cases with all my other lenses and can just swap them over!

Another difference from the 18-70 is that you can't simply turn the manual focus ring to focus the lens - you have to throw the switch to take it out of autofocus mode first - minor
but can cost some time.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2014
Bought this lens as a standard zoom because it's light and will be my lens when I want to carry my D7100 around with me in a lighter format. The other lenses I have are heavy and bulky. This works brilliantly at a wide angle to normal perspective. Came in a plain brown box rather than the original gold Nikon one but securely wrapped and packaged.
on 5 December 2012
I'm a new starter with DSLR photography, so I don't have too much to compare this product with other than a 50mm prime lens I also purchased. The images I can take with this lens compare favourably with the 50mm prime, other than the fact that I cannot achieve as effective background blurring as the prime lens has the ability to create a much more shallow depth of field (F1.8). However, this lens is very flexible and it seems to me is the only really affordable way to get a wide-angle lens at a reasonable cost.

So, as a beginner, I'm happy with this.
on 13 June 2013
Best bang for your buck right here. Great quality lens for a great price. VR is worth it in my opinion. I have used this with my old D60 and my current D7000. Sweet spot is between 35-45mm and f5.6-f8. The lens hood is not great, and the manual focus ring isn't fab either, but that is very little to complain about. The alternative 18-200mm is not as good a lens, but perhaps worth considering if you do not want to change lenses and want to travel light, and you know you will need the extra zoom.
on 22 April 2015
For the price, this is an excellent piece of kit.

Pretty good optically although there is some distortion at both ends of the zoom. The manual focus is also VERY sensitive and quite difficult to get spot on. Autofocus is quick and accurate.

Reasonably small and light and takes 52mm filters.

Remember this is a superceded model and lacks some of the bells and whistles of the current version, hence the lower price. Nonetheless it is still a very competent lens.
on 1 September 2014
Excellent lens for general photography.

This lens is all you will need for most populace.

It has VR which means you can take clear and beautiful blur free images.

Its a zoom lens covering wide angle to short telephoto range.

I do have other lenses because I am a professional but this lens is what I have on my Nikon D5200 camera most of the time for convenience.

Its light weight, compact and excellent value for money.