Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 October 2004
Fabulous story. It explains the difference between night and day really clearly for toddlers. It introduces shadows which once discovered are great fun. Ideal for 2-3 year olds... and probably older too.
on 22 March 2006
My 2 year old daughter Amy loves this book to bits. It has to be read at least once a day and she seems to be completely captured by the rhyme and rhythm of the story. I thoroughly enjoy reading it to her as well because the words just flow beautifully. The illustrations are bright and colourful with lots to look at and enjoy. Fun and educational, simply a must for all very young children.
on 25 April 2007
I thought my 15 month daughter would be too young for this but she loves it and asks us to read it to her all the time. the rhyming story holds her interest as she follows the story of the night monkey/day monkey. wonderful illustrations especially the burst of colour as the day monkey takes over. Cant recommend it enough.
on 10 February 2004
A great book that explores the differeces between night and day through the eyes of two monkeys, one that comes out at night and one that comes out during the day. I bought this book for my 2 year old daughter and she adores it. She loves pointing out the different creatures as I turn the pages.
Last summer when she saw her shadow in the garden for the first time, it frightened her. I was able to remind her of the monkey's shadows in the book and her fear was gone.
Another great book by the same author as the Gruffalo.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2008
A wonderful read aloud for 1 and 2 year olds. Lovely illustrations and nice story but just doesn't quite have the pazzazz of the gruffalo and her other books (we own the lot). Too basic for my four year old but my one year old really enjoys it.
We have had this book for a couple of years now and it is still a family favourite, easy and enjoyable to read with a great story and child friendly detailed illustrations.

The rhyming story engages my 4 and 5 year old and they love to join in reading the story and finish off sentences.

There are educational aspects of the story which over time have helped my children's learning path and developed their understanding of night and day, shadows and even introduced an understanding of nocturnal creatures.

Out of 30-40 kids books we have we come back to this one the most, brilliant
on 11 May 2011
We bought this book when I was pregnant with our son - our first experience of the marvel that is Julia Donaldson. My husband wanted to talk to him but didn't know what to say so he read this book to my tummy! From an early age our little boy has loved this book. We read it every night for almost a year. It was the first book he responded to in terms of pointing things out and would notice the smallest illustrated creature that might have passed us by. Now, at two, he has a much wider reading circle but it still lives with the current favourites in his room. It's a wonderful story of two cheeky monkeys who wake and sleep at different times of the day. The differences between night and day are highlighted in terms of brightness, animals/creatures, meals and wakefulness/tiredness of the monkeys. Even now, if my son asks where the moon is when it's daytime I refer back to this book for an explanation. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this for young children of any age.
on 5 May 2009
Great fun. My daughter who is learning to read English as her second language found this a good read. Will happily collect the whole "blue banana" series now.
on 13 July 2009
Another great book by the author of Gruffalo! What a great way to teach kids about the differences in night and day...my toddler loves me to read this to her and after about 3-4 reads, also remembers parts of the story and joins in!

Apart from the obvious day/night differences, I like how it shows how two people can see things from totally different perspectives... great way to teach kids that its alright to see things differently... and let them learn to question things around them, rather than take everything for granted!

Once again, am a little sad that we didn't have such great books growing up...but also very happy that I now get to read all these wonderful stories to my toddler!
on 18 January 2013
Great book for trying to explain the difference between day and night. For a while i kept thinking the lighter monkey was the day monkey!
But child loves it even though its too old, its a good book to read with its classic rhyming flow.