Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 October 2012
I read the German original "Die Nacht von Lissabon". I was somewhat apprehensive that this might prove heavy-going, but my fear was soon dispelled. Remarque was clearly a brilliant novelist, and I will certainly read All Quiet on the Western Front (probably in its German original "Im Westen Nichts Neues"). I've heard criticism of the basic premise, that the story is the retelling of a story told in a single night in a cafe in Lisbon, and that the level of detail is therefore unrealistic. I think that's churlish, however. The themes of honesty, loyalty, love and despair are brilliantly handled in the context of refugee life during the second world war. It would make a fantastic film, in the Schindler's List mould. If I was a director, I'd be on to it straight away!
on 17 May 2003
Its the story of a jewish man who goes back into Nazi Germany, risking everything to fetch his wife and escape with her to Africa.
I read it ten years ago and it's still one of the best books I ever read. I still want to go to Lisbon, to catch the mood of this night.
on 20 October 2010
Not much to say...the book as any other Remarque's products is good - interesting, make you think and in the end you cannot put it down. I read it just after my trip to Portugal - makes it even more interesting. Definitely, I would recommend it.
on 26 December 2014
A very moving novel - will speak to anybody who lost a much loved person.
on 29 November 2015