on 27 January 2015
I bought this as a Christmas present for my partner who is a delivery driver who spends a long time on the road and travels through out the country and Europe. I Choose it due to the recommendations and awards it had received. We quickly discovered these Well deserved. Easy to set up and fantastic quality picture even on dull days. Night vision is fantastic and this model is worth every penny just for this feature. Wish it came with a rear view camera to watch the rear view mirror. I thought it was a bit of a gimmick at first and just the latest fad but I'm a convert now and think they should be built into new cars. So much so that I actually bought a cheaper enters level nextbase model in halfords for myself after I nearly got forced of the road a few days before Christmas by an idiot pulling a trailer who pulled in front of me on a motorway slip road without warning and clealry forgot the long trailer on the back. I had to do an emergency stop, luckily no one was behind me or it would have been disastrous. Left me badly shaken as he drove off oblivious of what he had done. Sadly I had to return the cheaper one as the basic night vision simply didn't work and I'm going to get another of these hoping they may come on special soon. This unit may not be the cheapest one out there but you clearly get what you pay for when choosing dash cams.

You won't be disappointed by the quality of the recordings and I think it will provide some peace of mind against the idiots out there who nearly kill you because they don't think before they change lanes etc. we haven't tested the gyro sensors yet but I'm confident this unit will work just as described build quality is good and it's light and easy to set up. I hope we never need to rely on the evidence this provides. But it is reassuring to know you have it just in case.
on 25 February 2015
First let me say, acknowledging that such a simple camera will have difficulty when filming directly into sunlight, the cameras (one front and one back) perform very well.
However it has taken me several months of frustration to find out why the cameras stopped recording when the 32Gb SD cards were full.
It would seem that when the camera’s “mass storage” is accessed, and whenever one carries out a return to default settings, the “protect” settings prevent the over-writing of previously recorded material.
I now carry out the following sequence to ensure that the “protect” options are all switched off:
(Power on) -> (press the “Mode” button to select movie playback) -> (press the “Menu” button) -> “(scroll down to “Protect”) - > (press the “Stop/Start & OK” button) - (scroll down to and select “Unlock all”) -> (press the “Stop/Start & OK” button) -> (press the “Menu” button to exit the Menu) -> (press the “Mode” button to select Movie Recording”) - > (press the “Stop/Start & OK” button to start filming).
I sent a message to NextBase support early on, but didn’t get a response. Oddly, just as I discovered a way round the issue of recording ceasing, I received a message from NextBase via Amazon, with a contact number.
The cameras were installed as a defence against repetition of a fight with an insurance company, which was eventually resolved totally in my favour because I had taken a lot of stills with the camera I always carry.
Now, as I make my daily journeys, it is amusing to see how quickly “white van man” backs off when the cameras are spied.
Two unforeseen effects of having in-car cameras installed have emerged.
Being aware that my own driving is being continually recorded I find concentrates the mind quite wonderfully, my driving discipline is now much more precise and cautious.
The second unforeseen outcome has been capturing footage of use to the Police, one sequence currently the basis of a Police investigation.
To sum up, the cameras undoubtedly add to road safety while giving one a sense of security against being unfairly accused of contributing to an incident. However, to make best use of them one does need to be a bit of a “techie”.
review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 April 2014
Need this for insurance purposes, and to catch stupid drivers, (caught a few already), makes me a better driver knowing it records my speed, would definitely recommend this to all drivers, nothing to dislike about this item, brilliant piece of kit.
on 17 February 2014
This is a great product for the price. I am a driving instructor and I can use this both pointing outside the car and internally to show students what they should be doing. As I get hit in the rear three times a year, having a product like this to prove liability is a godsend. I bought the 32GB card to go with it and this gives me about a 5 1/2 hours at full HD before the product starts looping again.

Sometimes when an event happens such as going a bit too fast over a speed bump, a incident file is saved onto the card. It is therefore recommended that once a week if you check on the card and delete old files. There is a setting to adjust how sensitive the g sensor is, but I find that it only records big bangs such as potholes and crashes anyway so I am quite happy with the default setting.

I am currently saving up to buy 2 more, one for the rear and one to point internally so that I have three cameras running and I can make my own videos to teach students.

The only downside to this is that sometimes the product will freeze on you when going between recording and playing a recording on the screen. This isn't a big problem and I have never lost any videos that have been recorded; you just have to wait a while until you can the view it.
Quality is very good and you are quite capable of reading numberplates in the daytime. Nighttime vision is not as good as daytime and you can get a bit blurry but as its half the price of other products I personally think that it does a very good job for the price. If you're not moving around, you can still read numberplates at night time but sometimes the vibration of the car makes the image just that bit too blurry to read numberplates. Daytime driving however looks absolutely fine whether or not you're moving.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 November 2013
I did hover over 'like' or 'love' because in a couple of ways I was disappointed but, the quality of the videos is very good indeed and I am very pleased with the result.
Disappointed that I can't, apparently, keep it in camera mode while plugged in and travelling. I would like the chance to take instant stills from time to time. However this is a minor point as I can review the video files later (as long as I bear in mind that after 3 and a half hours or so it starts to over record) and save anything of particular interest.
Also, the manual assumes that I have more knowledge than I have and that I know what certain technical terms mean.
Minor gripes though, an excellent product and very competetively priced.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 May 2015
Very sharp imaging and, actually impressive at night, too. There are limits. An unlit road with an unlit number plate heading towards you under two typically glaringly bright headlights is not fair game for criticism in my book (previous review refers.) It is unlikely you will see the plate on playback. The camera (max price at £149 but findable new for around £124 and have seen it at £47 as a refurbished example) does not contain an 'industrial' quality lens; nor does it have a brain behind it to selectively concentrate on difficult to see darkspots among highlight areas. It is a keenly-priced and surprisingly high quality cctv in car system. It is not, though, the Hubble telescope.

Also worth bearing in mind -and here I think is a technical limitation which I hope the manufacturer will consider changing- the camera records in response to motion being detected in front of it and so, should you have an accident and the third party comes to your window to admit or deny liability... or more typically, perhaps, to try to punch you on the nose, the audio -presuming you have this set to 'on' which I would recommend- may well no longer be recording at this point, having switched off simultaneous with image recording. Unless that is, you happen upon a passing troupe of go~go dancers who are willing to put on a show in front of your crumpled bonnet; in that case, rest assured all will be recording very nicely.

But until such time...

Would be useful if, with the so called 'g' sensor detecting rapid deceleration/a collision, it caused the unit to continue to record regardless for, say, 15 minutes. The same feature could kick in should the user hit the 'protect' button. Finally, be aware that some cars do not offer continuous power to cigarette lighter/other power sockets; the unit is designed to only run under its own steam for a short time. With your engine turned off, you are on borrowed time..
..with or without the go~go dancers.

The camera is easy enough to remove from the car after it has loosened up a bit. 'Which? magazine' and others fuss over this unduly, in my view; the trick is learning how to remove it before you really need to and so master this simple procedure before it is in situ to save forcing it and getting impatient; it slides to the left, away from the driver (in a right hand drive vehicle) having crimped the securing mechanism.
If it slid off 'easily' it would likely vibrate while driving.

For those who continue to have trouble, consider a frugal smear of WD40 -applied from a cotton bud- on the section where the bracket slides on and off. Take great care if you do this since the lens could be damaged on contact. In essence, this idea would be last resort, not best practice. Whatever you do, don't squirt straight from the can!
If it all goes wrong, you didn't read it here.

On removing the camera to watch the footage (curiously compelling; I should get out more, if not to record more footage) the micro/SD card typically needs to be inserted into an adaptor which can then fit into the card reader of a computer, such as that on my Apple. The thumbnail images download to my computer desktop automatically. Selecting 'import images' allows you to view the clips. You have the option to delete from your camera card at this time. I see no point given that the camera overwrites perfectly well as a matter of course but that's a detail amongst detail.
And if it all works with an Apple computer.. it'll work with anything!

Tip: If you attempt to remove the (tiny) micro/SD card in the car, you stand a good chance of it springing out. Yes, of course you'll find it easily... Take the camera indoors!

My guess is you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of image and also of the audio. I was staggered, actually; car index numbers are typically crystal clear once you press pause to freeze the moving image and the vehicle looks just as if it were parked. Pin sharp: wheels and all (and with a typical closing speed of 120mph odd on a rural 'A' road, that is pretty cool!)

What isn't so cool is the realisation that you talk to yourself while driving alone all the time. Oh, yes you do!
That said, perhaps I should actually just stay in more.

This camera is, I think, all you need: for a single direction incident, certainly. Buy another for the rear window if your neurosis allows such indulgence. It is a fairly priced, high definition piece of kit, geared for the domestic market. Having mine installed has afforded me a strangely potent reassurance; I think you may experience the same. It also tends to improve one's own standards of driving. Strange but true and not the first to report this.
But happy to take the credit.

For all these reasons, I recommend this particular version without reservation.

Final tip: At the risk of sounding presumptuous or condescending, I would suggest you don't get smart and announce you have cctv., should you be involved in an incident (not least, it could have been your fault!) And if it wasn't, they would know that you likely have them hook, line and sinker.

This might not do you (or your nose) any favours at the scene.

Good luck, stay safe!
on 25 January 2014
I chose this as a reasonable priced camera, lots of dirt cheap ones available but probably not much good. This one seems to work well. Slightly fiddly to set up originally but easy enough afterwards. Would recommend this product to anyone.
on 20 February 2014
I can honestly say that this dashcam is absolutely superb and the video quality is far beyond my previous Blackvue DR500GW-HD which cost >£230 to the point where I am now going to replace the Blackvue with this Nextbase 402G.

The day and night video quality of this camera is just brilliant!

I highly recommend this product to all. The software available from the following link works perfectly with this camera and it is also brilliant.

Windows - [...]
Mac - [...]
on 14 April 2015
Like many before me I did a lot of research into Dash cams, and in the end it simply came down to finding the one with the best image quality and my goodness this is good, REALLY good!

I haven't had a chance to test it in the evening so I can only talk about daytime performance but I'm incredibly impressed by the 402G. Everything is crisp, in focus, reg plate are easy to read, road signs are easy to read, and the wide dynamic range really helps it when i'ts overcast. There is an EV option but I haven't needed to use this so far.

The 402G definitely does the job it was intended to do, extremely well in fact. I had reduced my options to the Transcend Drivepro 200 and this Nextbase 402g and after watching a ton of videos it was evident that while the Drivepro was good it was no match for the 402g. Particularly when it comes to audio. The Nextbase has brilliant audio recording. Clear and concise.

Furthermore, the supplied software is great for playing back all the clips (I have mine set to the minimum of 2 minute segments ) and each segment has it's route displayed in a separate window using Google Maps. What I really like about this Dash cam is that you have the option of displaying your speed and coordinates along the bottom of each recording which you can then see when you play back video, and so far everything has been spot on with mine, GPS is 100% as is the speed it measures.

If you are in the market for a Dash cam, and you really should, then all I can say is this, Just buy this Nextbase 402g already! :-)
on 24 May 2015
Excellent quality videos which auto adjust for different light levels. I even have video of moonlit road without my lights or streetlights, though of course I couldn't read numberplates in such lighting. The in car fitting was 5 minutes work and the recorder slides in and out of the windscreen fitting without a problem. The windscreen fitting could be removed from the Windscreen after each journey but this to me is extra work and it will not then fit the carry case. The 2 photos attached here are of the worst light condition video shown in the player. The daytime videos are a lot sharper and much less grain as the light increases. This map is of the same video file, shows rroute and the pin is the position of the car. I have removed my Car registration from the captured screenshot for my security. :)
review image review image