Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Making Money (Discworld Novels) forum

New to discworld - where do i start ! ? ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Oct 2007 22:30:16 BDT
Should i start reading the books in order from the colour of magic straight through to making money??
I want to get hooked so where do you suggest i start reading from??

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2007 09:17:28 BDT
Stuart says:
Yes, start from the beginning. They just get better and better.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2007 13:48:07 BDT
in my opinion its best to skip colour of magic and the light fantastic they very nearly put me off start with equal rites and carry on in order

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2007 15:33:17 BDT
marky77 says:
I quite new to discworld too. The books can be read out of order, although sometimes have references to previous books which can be mildly confusing. Its probably best to read them in order, although, as Stephen F. Wilkins said, the first two books can be quite dull.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2007 07:00:38 BDT
Malkmus fan says:
OK then.

I think the series is best read in order. Can't for the life of me understand why the first two books are apparentely so disliked. TCOM had me hooked right from the first page. The first two ease you into the Discworld gently. Admittedly there is very little plot in them but when you're laughing as hard as you will be does it really matter?

If you don't want to start with them then do Equal Rites first. The character of Granny Weatherwax is nothing like she is in later books but it's still a good read and is the first book in the series when you begin to get an impression of how vast the world Pratchett has created really is.

Alternatively you can do them in sub-series. The main groups are Rincewind and the wizards, night watch, witches of Lancre, Death Susan and the Auditors of reality and the standalones. There are two Moist Von Lipwig books as well now.

The best series of novels is generally agreed to be the ones centred on the night watch. To get the most out of them they MUST be read in order. Therefore you will need Guards, Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch and Thud.

All of the books mentioned above are great. If you read them in order you will see how the mainj character evolves over time. Reading Thud before Guards, Guards would not be a good idea.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2007 13:28:58 BDT
i think youve found the reason i didnt like them no story and to be honest never liked rincewind all that much

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2007 12:00:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Nov 2007 12:01:42 GMT
I don't know that I'd bother. I know people who have got really into TP, but I just don't see the attraction after reading 6 or 7 of them - they have always said "Oh, you should read "xyz", "abc" is not that great", but I've just been increasingly disappointed. All are mildly amusing, but at the same time shallow, repetitive, formulaic, predictable, unsubtle, condescending, undemanding and about as prolific and exciting as a Windows security patch.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2007 20:27:42 GMT
D. M. Reed says:
I started with Mort - still one of my favorites. The subtle (and unsubtle) humour really starts to come into its own here

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2007 18:51:56 GMT
ImNotHere says:
The first two books (and the later books featuring Rincewind) are very funny but really just a series of gags with a very minimal linking plot - very much The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Discworld. Pratchett's real gift is that he can turn out a genre parody in which you actually care about the plot and characters - which only starts to emerge around book 3 & 4 (Equal Rites, Mort).

So, by all means start at the beginning, but if "Colour of Magic" doesn't float your boat give it another chance with "Mort".

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2007 19:34:12 GMT
First book I read was the monsters regiment, which is one of his later books. From that I went back to the start, but didnt enjoy them as much as his later works. Dont be put off by some books being classified as childrens books (the wee free men) they are still worth the read.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2007 19:00:57 GMT
I've experimented on friends and found Guards! Guards! to be a great introductory point.
Then revert as quickly as possible to the correct sequence - you will love some and merely enjoy the others.
Most important as a beginner is finishing one book to get used to his style. Don't give up if the first one you read is dissappointing. Read 4 or 5 and you won't look back.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  8 Oct 2007
Latest post:  3 Dec 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Making Money (Discworld Novels)
Making Money (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - Oct. 2007)
4.3 out of 5 stars (226)