on 19 August 1999
I have used this cookbook for over twenty years now and it is still my favorite. All of the recipies are inexpensive to make, fairly basic, always nutritious and tasty.
I have raised six kids on the recipies from The Farm and they universally request the Nutritional yeast melts, the barbeque gluten ribs and the TVP golden gravey.
If I have one complaint about the recipies it is that they generally have too much salt in them for the average desk-bound lifestyle. The book was written from the perspective of folks used to a physically rigorous lifestyle. Use less salt in making the dishes.
on 24 August 2002
I agree with all the above reviews. My children particularly like the nutritional yeast recipes, tofu cheescake and sweet stuff, although we cut down on the amount of sugar or the recipes would be too sweet.
It's brilliant for people learning how to make vegan
basics like tofu and beans and tortillas, and especially good for people with babies and young children who may be concerned about nutrition when starting out with a meat and dairy free diet. The people on The Farm give helpful advice and reassurance, having raised their own kids as vegans. (The Farm has been a vegan self-sufficient community for around 30 years).
We've had our copy for at least 15 years now and still consult it frequently... Buy it now, it's a vegan classic!
on 22 June 2000
This cookbook is so great - the recipes are so easy, delicious and fool-proof! For new veggies, it is the best introduction to foods such as tofu, tempeh, nutritional yeast. It's not just a cookbook, it's a way of life! Definitely the most-used cookbook on my shelf.
on 11 October 1997
This book contains my all-time favorite (and most asked for) recipies. The tofu cheesecake, tofu mannicotti, and chocolate cake recipies alone are reason enough to get this book. Most of the dishes are fairly easy to make; those that aren't are worth the effort. One note:a number of the recipies call for honey;if you opt not to use honey, you'll have to come up with your own substitutions.
on 16 March 1998
This is a wonderful cookbook! Most of the recipes are extremely easy to make, without tons of ingredients. All of the recipes are delicious! It contains a large dessert section (unlike many vegan cookbooks). It also includes tips on making soy milk, soy yogurt, tofu, and tempeh. This is a cookbook I can't live without!
on 26 January 2015
I bought this cookbook about 7-8 years ago when I first adopted a vegan diet because the reviews were so good. Unfortunately, it's really old-fashioned and the recipes are pretty uninspiring. The photographs and illustrations are hilarious (a time loop back to the groovy 1970s) but the recipes have not stood the test of time. I appreciate that when the book was first written the authors were making a point that a vegan diet was not only nutritionally adequate for adults but also for young children and pregnant women. But it's very heavy on soybeans (in interminable combinations!), tofu, gluten and other meat substitutes. Vegetables barely put in an appearance, just in side dishes and a few salads. Up-to-date nutritional information, such as that presented by Dr John McDougall and Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn, shows that we don't need to make any special effort to get adequate protein without animal foods and that the healthiest diet is one based on plants, with meat substitutes as an occasional accent or condiment to meals, and that oils and margarine are not only unnecessary but detrimental to health. My copy of the New Farm Cookbook is on its way to the charity shop!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 1998
This book is a great introduction to basic soy cooking FROM THE RAW BEAN. Get into 'meat without bones!' Making tempeh is too cool, and this book got me started. It is full of excellent tips relating to all sorts of vegetarian dishes, and the wide range of recipes makes it very useful.
on 21 March 1999
Sensible nutrition, appealing recipes. 'Nough said.