Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Mar 2009 15:57:30 BDT
M. Cloke says:
I am really unhappy that the covers for the Spooks books are to change. I guess it is to give the books a more pick up off the bookstore shelf appeal but I love the old style of the covers and am disappointed that my collection of Spooks book is going to have a massive shift in visual direction mid series! Joe if you are listening....could you organise a small print run in the old style covers for your original fans????
I would love to hear others opinions on this :)
Marie

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2009 10:01:33 BDT
S. Rushby says:
I completely agree, I want the spook's sacrifice in the old style which I much prefer to this new cover.

Posted on 8 Apr 2009 21:07:29 BDT
This is going to look pants on my shelf beside the others.

Posted on 9 Apr 2009 06:36:40 BDT
Trina Cooley says:
Exactly, there was something so charming about the look of the preceding books. I live in the US where the books are printed in a more modern style, but I have been specifically ordering the UK versions based on the covers!

Posted on 15 Apr 2009 14:46:59 BDT
I completely agree and this is very frustrating. As i write this I'm looking at the shelf and the first 5 look so nice together. It's a mistake to change the look of the books before the end of the series.

Posted on 16 Apr 2009 11:08:04 BDT
M. Buckley says:
Agreed - I'd like to keep the old covers, or at least an option to have them.

Posted on 17 Apr 2009 09:15:59 BDT
A. Swift says:
I completely agree with the others. This is a sad marketting trick when they release the same book in nine different covers during a collection.

Look at the recent Terry Goodking (re)releases or Terry Pratchett for that matter.....

Posted on 19 Apr 2009 18:04:26 BDT
I totally agree with everyone else who has posted comments on this! It seems so silly to discontinue the original covers at this point in the series. I was aware there were other versions of the books were on sale, but had no idea `The Spook's Sacrifice' would only be available in the new and far attractive cover. Will the new book defiantly not be published in the old design? If so, it will be such a shame- the first five looks so nice lined up on the shelf. I guess in the end it's the content that counts though.

Posted on 21 Apr 2009 17:24:16 BDT
M. Cloke says:
I am glad to see others feel the same as my household on this matter! I can see that the new cover design is aimed at younger people picking up the books but as two thirty something fans, we really have an appreciation for the lovely old style covers. I really believe that this change is a major shame! A small print run of the old style covers would be wonderful but I don't think it will happen despite how much we want it!

Posted on 22 Apr 2009 20:52:46 BDT
P. W. Tingle says:
I have to agree with all the comments it is a shame to change the cover from the old style.

Posted on 30 Apr 2009 10:26:34 BDT
a.reader says:
i suggest eveyone should contact random house publishing dept(bodley head editorial)

Posted on 30 Apr 2009 10:35:39 BDT
a.reader says:
i suggest eveyone should contact random house publishing dept(bodley head editorial)

Posted on 30 Apr 2009 10:38:16 BDT
a.reader says:
update from prev post-advise cont random house publishing & ask for bodley head editorial-childrens books & let them know it,s a maketing disaster!!!

Posted on 30 Apr 2009 10:39:13 BDT
a.reader says:
update from prev post-advise cont random house publishing & ask for bodley head editorial-childrens books & let them know it,s a marketing disaster!!!

Posted on 17 May 2009 16:28:29 BDT
I really like the spook covers, I don't see why they have to change. Its a bit stupid too, if your looking for books in the series and some look completly different, you might buy the wrong book! I think they should stay the same, and like others have said, its going to look rubbish in my collection. Sort it out please Joe!

Posted on 25 May 2009 16:41:03 BDT
C. Cercopis says:
While the tactic may secure new readership through this brand relaunch, it devalues the integrity of the already accepted brand among the original readership. Random house is taking a chance on that, but perhaps this marketing campaign to secure a larger North American (read US) readership base will be successful.

Be that as it may, I'm now more reluctant to pre-order or purchase the UK version (which I've done in the past despite the availability of the US titles here in Canada) on the release date. Before, I was more than happy to pay extra in shipping

Posted on 27 May 2009 23:09:37 BDT
Will-043 says:
one word- BOYCOTT!!!

Posted on 29 May 2009 16:48:08 BDT
Fiona says:
I have to agree with you all. How this policy of changing cover style midway through a series of novels is crazy. At least they have kept the books the same height, one small mercy.

Posted on 3 Jun 2009 22:16:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jun 2009 22:19:56 BDT
Gigagav says:
We've all read this far so they know we'll buy it despite the new cover. Perhaps the idea is that the new 'sell out' cover will attract new readers? Well great move Joseph! Now your books are indistinguishable from all the other crap. In fact while you're homogenising, why not rename the boy Harry?

Posted on 7 Jun 2009 18:33:12 BDT
heike says:
I don't like this new cover... it's so....uagh!!! How could they??!!! Imagine how this would look like in the shelf.... What a shame!

Posted on 8 Jun 2009 15:05:27 BDT
CJ says:
Bring back the old covers!!!! They were really nice and the new book doesn't lok nice on the shelf, next to the rest of the series.

Posted on 8 Jun 2009 20:32:21 BDT
Blaze Trep says:
why, why, why! It's going to look so out of place next to the old covers, i'm almost reluctant to buy it.

Posted on 10 Jun 2009 15:48:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jun 2009 15:50:40 BDT
Mr. A. Long says:
I actually am reluctant to buy this book! I refuse to buy it, I know it sounds strange, but it'd look horrendous with my other collections. Even when I take off the sleeve, it doesn't have the same simple print. I'm saddened to say, I will not be purchasing any further books without the old cover, but I shan't stop reading, as I must say I do enjoy the books. However, it shall be from friends or libraries.

Posted on 11 Jun 2009 20:56:01 BDT
I am certainly not going to boycott it as I love reading them. I will however put a email to the publishers and maybe author to ask if they can produce a different dust jacket as I think these new ones are horrible conpared to the others. But maybe they are supposed to appeal to more people and coincide with the film when it comes out (there was a rumour of one coming next year).

Posted on 11 Jun 2009 22:15:25 BDT
Mr. A. Long says:
I know it sounds petty or somewhat, but I'm just personally quite.. strange, or childish like that. I really do enjoy these books, and love the storyline and his writing. I've read parts of his first one, and feel like his writing is not how it use to be, especially compared to Apprentice and Curse. There's a rumour going around that they may publish 1,000 copies of the original cover. And I'm sure as hell wanting to buy one. However, I'm guessing the writing and storyline may alter quite a lot, seeing as they are going to produce a movie, and it's going to appeal to children. I know the target audience was aimed at children or young teenagers in the first place, however, it's sad to think that he may make it different to how it original is meant to be! I myself am in fact a teenager, and enjoyed it for quite a while now, until this very point. I may have to read through the book to see for myself, but so far, I'm not entirely impressed. I'm sorry to say.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  31 Mar 2009
Latest post:  19 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Spook's Sacrifice: Book 6 (The Wardstone Chronicles)
The Spook's Sacrifice: Book 6 (The Wardstone Chronicles) by Joseph Delaney (Hardcover - 4 Jun 2009)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (54)