on 25 January 2013
I have only just discovered Derek Mahon. I read the first 150 pages or so on retreat every morning. Such good work - fabulously made, solidly built, authoritative. The real thing. I'm very glad to have 'discovered' him.
on 1 August 2015
I first read Derek Mahon's poetry some 20 years ago, when I felt intoxicated by his poems. I greatly enjoyed the work of the Irish poets of his generation, in particular Seamus Heaney, Michael Longley and John Montague. It's been a pleasure to return to Mahon's poetry after a long period and discover that it's as good as I remember it.

Mahon cares deeply about form, and how his poems look on the page.

I'd heartily recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading poetry. Poems such as After the Titanic, A Disused Shed in County Wexford, Monochrome, and The Chinese Restaurant in Portrush have real form and content.
on 22 April 2015