on 5 June 2011
I've read a large amount of books on networking in the last twelve months and thought that this book promised something different. I was disappointed. It's a cross between a book on jungian theory about introversion and extroversion with a little bit of networking (or rather the 'working the room part of networking') chucked into the middle. If you want to find out more about the difference between introversion and extroversion - or understand why you find it hard to spend all day with lots of people - then read one of the excellent books on the subject, e.g. Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type by Isabel Briggs Myers and Peter B. Myers or Essentials of Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® Assessment (Essentials of Psychological Assessment) by Naomi L. Quenk

My main gripe with the book was it seemed to assume that networking has to be face-to-face and is written with the needs of people going out to networking events in mind. The book ignored social or online networking which is equally powerful for either introverts, extroverts or centroverts (a group of people who the author as defined as people with both extroverted and introverted tendencies, which is where I naturally belong)I expect a book on networking written in 2010 to include social networking.

As the book focused on mostly about praising and normalising introversion-orientated behaviours and attitudes - often to the point of making extroverts seem like the bad guys (Jungian theory explains that we can all behave as introverts or extroverts, we just have a natural preference for one or the other), there is very little about networking strategy or how to gain business and referrals from networking.

I would recommend Gael & Stuart's Linderfield's book on "Confident Networking For Career Success" as an alternative to this book.
on 4 August 2012
I was looking forward to reading this book, but was really disappointed. Content is very light and I read it within two days so I could move onto something else. The author spends far too much time talking about introverts, extroverts and barely touches on any practical networking skills and even then they are more common sense rules, rather than anything new that can be used in the real word. Now have to hunt for another networking book ... Looks like one of the reviewers that gave two stars has recommended one.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 September 2010
Most books that I have read that discuss introverts and extroverts tend to talk in stereotypes. Introverts are seen as shy, cold, and slow witted. Extroverts are seen as the life of the party, fun, and social. Indeed, there truly are key differences between introverts and extroverts. However, both have strengths and limitations. When we recognize this fact and start using what we have, we find that even networking isn't as bad as we think.

Right from the start, Networking for People who Hate Networking states that what we all view as networking comes from a very narrow viewpoint. Yes, extroverts thrive in situations where they meet new people, mingle, take business cards, and talk, talk, talk. However, so long as an introvert understands his or her need for me-time and self care, he or she will enjoy meeting people with common interests, having one on one conversations, and create long term relationships. Quality versus quantity. It all evens out in the end.

I was fascinated by this book. As an introvert I very much enjoy being with people, talking, learning new things, and having new experiences. I just get physically drained by too much for too long. I simply can't sustain what seems to energize my extrovert husband. Know yourself and use what you have.
on 8 September 2010
Devora Zack's book, Networking for People Who Hate Networking, is far more than a handy guide on how to work a room. The book offers insights into what makes us who we are and how to use those traits to be successful in business and, if you care to look deeper, in our day to day lives. As Zack points out, Networking is really about connecting with people. Learning how you, and those you interact with, are "wired" opens the door to a whole new world of connectivity, whether it is around a networking event buffet, on an airplane or in your own home. This easy to read, often humorous book provides you with this knowledge as well as simple tips, learning activities and more. Definitely a must read.
on 30 March 2015
Essentially it's a book on networking for introverts and and I found it revelatory. It's an easy read and I reached the end which I don't do with so many books. It has changed my approach to networking and though I still go in to a room thinking I have to get to know everyone, I can give myself permission to get to know two or three people a little better.
on 30 March 2014
This book is bad, the first 20 pages is just about introverts and how everyone finds them to be shy blah blah and I am here to show you why that's wrong.
At a point author says "For years, researchers claimed 70% of the general US population was extroverted and only 30 percent was introverted." Then the author proposes a theory out of her backside and says "I believe the population has always been about 50% introverts." What's worse is that she also says she hasn't conducted a study but she is convinced she is correct.

Awful book, would have given it 5 stars if I couldn't read.
on 14 January 2013
personnel advice for people who struggle in socail situations but offers very few ideas and repeats the ones it does have over and over agian, quite boring. all the authors personel opinion no scientific psychological research at all. would advise to seek an alternative such as Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
byNancy Ancowitz
on 27 April 2012
To be honest this book hasn't really helped me. I think it would be more suitable for someone who works in the business field as it offers advice which is difficult to adapt to real life everyday situations!
on 6 October 2015
Quite fun and useful read for newbies.
on 7 April 2014
The author really gets introverted people. I nodded extaticly at almost every sentence for the first half of the book! She describes our peculiar behaviour to the point and in vivid examples, and there are plenty of checklists and quizzes to reassure yourself that you are indeed one of them. And if you're still not sure how to tell an introvert from an extravert, the key differences are repeated on every other page.
The other goal of the book to provide introverts with a "how to" guide of networking, and does a good job - for those people who don't instinctively follow these behavioural guidelines (for example, "plan when to leave social events") already, anyway..

All in all a pleasant read, you will feel deeply understood in your ways, and the advise is good and actually doable, at least for the more central introverts.