on 3 May 2011
A great little gadget for turning any wired ethernet port into a wireless one.

Setup is easy and accomplished in one of two ways: either by plugging it into a laptop/desktop and accessing the interface through your web browser or by attaching it to your desired device and pressing the little button on the adaper and on your router (assuming it has one - mine didn't and I used the laptop method).

The setup via the laptop was easy and mostly automatic -it even told me that a neighbour was using the same wireless channel as me (which I didn't know) - and as a result I changed the channel and got better speeds!

I have used this device to connect two products to my router: A SONY Bravia TV and also a HUMAX Foxsat Freeview+ box. Both the TV's USB port and that of the satellite box are capable of powering the device (and there's a power adapter in the box that will do the job if you don't have a handy USB port). Both devices worked flawlessly and I can stream full 1080p video from my PC upstairs to the TV through the N-band connection and connect to things like BBC iPLayer that features on both devices.

At the moment, the TV, the Satellite box and the Network adapter are all plugged into a cheap 10/100 switch. This works perfectly and allows all the devices to connect through the adapter - with room for a couple more devices via the spare ports.

It comes with a power adapter, a USB cable, an ethernet cable (1m) and two little velcro strips for attaching the device to a surface.

My only concern when testing it was that it seemed to become quite hot when placed horizontally. The heat disappeared almost entirely when the device was positioned vertically (as in the picture). It seemed strange since it has little feet on the bottom, but the ventillation holes seem to work best when it is stood on its tip. This is certainly where the velcro strips come in handy.

I use it all the time and have no complaints. Certainly cheaper than SONY's (apparently poorly functioning) wirless dongle and as with my set-up - using a switch will get you multiple devices connected which a dongle just won't do.

Highly recommended. :)
44 comments|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2012
Small and compact. Powered by supplied USB cable or 3 pin power plug.

Great once got it working!

I got this adapter working on my SONY SVR-HDT1000 Freeview+HD player. Can now watch BBC iPlayer - simply by pressing the RED Button on any BBC SD channels (not HD channels which are not currently supported). However, getting the adapter connected and working was not so easy from my experience. Hopefully the info below will help someone save time in setting up the connection!

First need to configure the WiFI adapter for connection to the router.
Either:
1. 'Pair' the adapter to router - meant to be the quickest way
- Press the tiny WPS (WiFI Protected Setup) button on the back of the adapter
- When the WLAN LED lights flicker amber and green, Press the WPS button on your router (the 'antenna/signal bars' symbol)

(This method did not work for me! Ignore instructions to locate adapter closer to router if you know that the wireless signal is strong!!
Otherwise, Netgear's suggestion would be to upgrade to a new router with stronger signal strength!!!)

OR
2. Configure the adapter using your laptop/computer
- Connect adapter to the laptop using supplied ethernet cable and USB cable for power
- Make sure to switch off the laptop's wireless internet connection

- Wait for both the Power and LAN LED lights to come on and turn green
- Open your internet browser - Follow on screen NETGEAR Setup instructions - choosing Region - Language -
- Enter your internet provider's DHCP details - IP - Subnet - Gateway - DSN - Etc
(For Mac under System Preference - Network Connection - Ethernet tab - Click enter details automatically!)

Enter 'Passphrase' = Password for wireless router
+ Security Key number (both numbers were the same for my O2 Router)

TIP: Enter your router's Security Key number in the relevant box as well as in the 5 blank boxes for Key 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
(otherwise won't connect wirelessly to router!)

If successful, the third WLAN LED light will turned green to indicate that wireless connection is working!

Disconnect adapter from laptop/computer, and connect it to the internet enabled equipment and follow the settings instructions for the equipment to get fully connected.
66 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2011
Purchased for Sky Anytime+. Nearly half the price of the Sky offering, which is £60. Setup is a breeze and takes a couple of minutes at most. Happily takes power from the Sky+ HD box's USB port. It's a very neat little unit, actually a lot smaller than I was expecting. Theres even a small strip of velcro supplied so you can attach the device out of the way.
1010 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 October 2013
The WNCE4004 N900 Wireless Bridge / Access Point isn't a bad piece of kit. It will connect your AV/Home theatre connected devices to the rest of your network without you needing to spend money on a lot of proprietary dongles to match each bit of kit you own. Most AV kit that sports internet connectivity comes with a standard RJ45 socket for CAT5/6 Ethernet cables, and will work well with this device.

It also sports the ability to connect to either 2.4GHz OR 5GHz networks, and will also work with routers that employ 40MHz "channel bonding" to boost wireless N speeds from the default 150Mbps. Be aware though that using channel bonding is not very "neighbour friendly" in that it will use up double the channel width of single channel Wireless N-150.

You cannot use 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously so the N900 moniker is somewhat misleading. Also, each of the 4 ports on the rear of the device are only 10/100Mbps ports so you will only get 100Mbps maximum out of each connected device. However, the overall bandwidth support does mean that there's still enough left for the device itself to communicate with the rest of the network and for other connected devices to do likewise without bandwidth being hogged by one single connected device.

It comes with WPS facility which will speed up setup. Remember that you need to press the button on the WNCE4004 first until the blue light flashes steady, then do likewise on the WPS router.

There is one major issue with the device though. It does not seem to forward or send it's own LLTD packets to the router or other devices in the network. This may not be a big problem if you don't have any media centre computers connected to it, only AV type kit. If you do, you will not be able to create a "Network Map" from any computer the router side of the device, nor will you be able to do remote monitoring via software like Norton Internet Security. Remote control however is possible with remote Desktop and 3rd Party apps like TeamViewer.

So like the title suggests, it works, but with caveats. How serious those are to you will depend on your individual needs. It is faster and more reliable than Powerline AV200, and there's less kit to install to achieve a connection than with Powerline (which itself is known to cause interference).

YMMV.
on 17 January 2011
I've been wanting to access the internet video facility on my Sony Bravia 'internet ready' TV for a while now, but was put off by the price of the Sony USB wi-fi dongle and also reviews that said it doesn't work well if your router is positioned in a different room from your TV.

I looked at various options and read lots of reviews and forums and finally settled on the Netgear Wifi Internet Adapter. Sony don't let you use any other make of wifi dongle in the TV, but this gizmo works using the ethernet port so gets round that problem. It was simple to set up (plug into pc, key in broadband password, remove and plug into ethernet port in back of tv, update tv using remote). I can now access loads of internet content with no problem, including BBC iplayer, Youtube, Demand 5.

The device is tiny and light and can be powered from the TVs USB port so no need for any trailing cables.

Highly recommended.
on 29 June 2011
Sky wanted £60 for their own wireless adapter but this product works great. Easy to set up for non WPS installation. Amazon again comes out on top for best price.
on 15 July 2014
We have just built a ground floor extension which has a new electricity consumer unit (although fed off our existing meter). When I came to connect our Sony 'Smart' TV to our Modem Router using TP Links Ethernet over Mains, I discovered that this would not work. I knew I could buy a 'Sony' dongle to connect wirelessly but these are rather expensive and have a very poor reputation - my parents have one and it cannot even receive a signal from the room above. I therefore had to look for an alternative and found the Netgear Universal Wireless Internet Adapter which claimed I could use this to connect via the RJ45 Ethernet connector to the Sony TV. Could it really be this simple.
It came very quickly and was smaller than I had imagined. I connected it to the TV via the RJ45 and pushed the WPS button on the bottom of the adapter. I then pressed the WPS button on my BT Home Hub Modem/router and switched the TV on. Selected internet and immediately I was accessing BBC iPlayer, Amazon and all the other internet-based video services. So yes, it really was that simple.
Some people have commented on the build quality and I guess it does feel quite light, but it's going to sit behind my TV unseen so quite honestly, if it works, I don't really mind what it looks like as long as it's reliable.
Finally the price. .... It's £26.99 including P&P v Sony's wifi dongle at about £60 - so half the price. Plus, and this is important to me, I can plug the Netgear Wireless Internet Adaptor into a TP Link Ethernet Switch and from here feed both my BT Box and my TV - all from this one unit.

So good is this product that I am buying another one for my parent's Sony TV to replace the Sony wifi dongle. Two problems sorted with this great product.
on 13 April 2014
I recently bought a Samsung Smart TV, which I tried to connect to my Virgin (Netgear) Wifi through a Samsung LAN Adaptor. That was painfully slow as to be useless (that's another story), so I made a few enquiries and was told that this was common with smart TV's and that this Netgear Wi-Fi Adapter was so much more powerful and would solve all my problems. At £40 it was a bit steep, but I thought it was worth the investment.

If you have WPS on your router, apparently it's a simple question of plugging this into the TV and waiting. Unfortunately, my router does not have WPS. Never mind, easy to set up on the laptop. Plug in the adapter through the ethernet port, make sure the computer gets the IP address (though I've no idea how to go about that if it doesn't) and the software on the adapter will take over your browser front page, allowing you to do whatever you need to do to get it set up with your router. Well that didn't happen. Never mind, just enter a specified website address into the browser and do it that way; it'll take you to where you need to go to set up the connection. Well the browser didn't recognise the URL. So I couldn't do it that way either.

So I disconnected (and reconnected) my wireless connection on my laptop, checked my network, ensured that my computer was in DCHP mode, all these magical things that really shouldn't be incumbent on someone who has no particular expertise in technical issues but just wants to watch youtube on a big telly, all to no avail. Every so often I'd get the Netgear set-up wizard screen. Woohoo! Just click on 'next', and you're on your way to configuration! Or rather, click on 'next' and a connection cannot be established. Enough already. Seven days of trying and my adaptor can't establish a link with a router in another room. My computer can, my phone can, but a Netgear adaptor, the sole purpose of which is to establish a link with the Netgear router, cannot.

In summary, this product doesn't even get past the first hurdle, which is to connect to a router. I've no idea what the performance would be if I could, and I've wasted enough time trying to find out. Back to Currys PC World for me.
on 6 September 2011
I wanted to get Sky Anytime+ using wifi.
This adapter is half the price of the Sky version & it works very well.
I found it very easy to set up & sky connected straight away.
I find if it is on its side it does not get as hot as when on its base.
on 2 January 2015