TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 February 2015
I wish I bit the bullet and got this router earlier! It has given me a strong wifif signal throughout my home, and speeds are significantly improved. I had previously been using repeaters, with limited success (apple products struggled to switch between the multiple access points.)

I have a virgin superhub 2 in a 5 bed house on 3 levels (including loft). With the superhub, the wifi signal would not reach one bedroom at all, and 2 other rooms were very patchy (wifi would be very slow or disconnect from mobile device.)

Setup was reasonably straightforward;
- I followed virgin's online instructions to switch the superhub into modem mode, then turned it off.
- Connected up the nighthawk router, left it turned off
- Turned on the superhub, then the router a couple of minutes later
- Used the netgear router webpage on my PC to complete the setup and rename the SSIDs
- All up and running in approx. 15 min

I tested speeds before and after for comparison purposes, hopefully this is useful if you're considering purchasing. These results are from the ookla speedtest app on a samsung S5 and iphone 6, connecting to the 5G network. Worth noting that on my ipad 2 (which does not have wireless AC), the speeds are not as greatly improved, although it still benefits from better coverage through the house.

- LIVING ROOM (where router is located): Before ~80MB/s, After 102MB/s
- BED 1 Iphone 6 (very bad coverage before): Before ~0.5-3MB/s and connection would drop, after 106MB/s!
- LOFT, before 35-40MB/s, after 86MB/s
77 comments|190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2015
I'd lately been experiencing wireless disconnection issues with my BT Homehub 3 (on a BT Infinity 2 package); either I couldn't get on the Internet at all, or it would kick me off after five minutes or so. No amount of tinkering with the router's settings would fix this. I changed everything, from using alternate channels to assigning manual IP addresses - only a tethered Ethernet cable worked. As it affected only some devices, I tested them out on friends' wi-fi and they worked as expected. With no BT line faults in my area, I determined the router was therefore at fault.

I'd had Netgear routers before and liked their ease of use and solid build. However, I wasn't quite prepared for the size of this beast. The R7000 has up to twelve LEDs on the front and its overall design looks like the offspring of a Klingon cruiser and Stealth bomber. My Infinity connection means I still need the BT Openreach box with its Gigabit Ethernet cable, but within the Netgear's online settings, there is the facility to disable many of the LEDs leaving just the power indicator lit. (I haven't done this as I find it an excellent means of low-key lighting in my hallway at night.)

Set-up took no more than a few minutes. Although at first I couldn't see how to attach and rotate additional aerials with the first one 'in the way', I found that they each pivot on both axes. If anyone else is changing routers with a BT connection, the username is 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com' and the password is 'bt'. I used the Netgear Genie wizard, which has everything logically laid out on the screen, but obviously the first thing I did - once up and running - was to change the default administrator's password. Both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connections are listed in the network scan (if you make them visible) but the 5 GHz option didn't appear for a few devices, notably my two smart TVs, so I guess it depends upon the technology within each product. The router also has a QoS (Quality of Service) setting, which gives priority to downstream or upstream, depending on whether you respectively stream video content or do online gaming for the most part.

I'm very happy with the reliability and speed delivered by the R7000; it's now been 24 hours since set-up and the connection has been rock solid. There is no overnight power save option as there was with the Homehub, but I can live with that.
on 22 October 2015
Great router, I bought this to replace the one provided by my ISP which was useless. It is really powerful and the signal strength is phenomenal. The data transfer speed is impressive for wireless performance and I haven't had any issues with devices losing signal or the signal dropping out. Well worth the money if you need to get signal all over the house an only want one router instead of a series of repeaters. The triband is really helpful allowing me to put all the ac devices on the 5Ghz band and all the n and g devices on the 2.4Ghz band. This really does make a difference when you have a variety of devices connected of various ages. It does prevent the faster band from becoming slow. Overall I am really happy with this router and it looks okay, I have had comments that it looks like a spider on the wall but I am okay with it.
review image
on 16 March 2015
Works like a dream for me. It replaced a virginmedia hub (which is really crap for the wireless), and immeasurably improved the experience in our house - it's much much faster, more reliable, and setup was a breeze.It does need a cable modem (using the virginmedia hub as cable modem). Have been using it for a week now, and improvements are really remarkable.
Most of the devices we have do accept 5ghz connections - the reach of the 5ghz network in our house is not quite as wide as the 2.4ghz, but more or less ok, and on the new router, the 2.4 ghz network reaches into the nooks and crannies, and can be used there when needed. Haven't tried it yet in the garden, but hope it'll even work there.
Overall all devices (2 newer laptops, 3 ipads, 1 iphone 6, one Samsung Galaxy 5) that use 5ghz are much much faster than before. I have a few devices running on 2.4ghz (a squeezebox, my daughter's laptop and motorola moto g) which are have more reliable connections now, and not quite as much improvement on the speed, but still remarkable...
on 4 March 2016
Ok so nearly £200 is a lot of money to most of us I know. Been on the Vivid Virgin Media broadband for a few months and had indifferent speeds. Also had flat spots, at back of the house downstairs and a bedroom and bathroom upstairs. All this in a semi 3 bedroom house. The Virgin router was located near TV and phone and other electrical equipment. Obviously Virgin recommends the router to be located away from possible interference. Relocating the router for me was not possible. We tried a TP link and a Netgear Wi-Fi booster. both of which we had problems setting up with very limited results. So after exhausting all avenues we purchased the Netgear router.

First of all it looks made for Wi-Fi speeds !

The instructions were clear and easy to follow ( Also utilising the good instruction from previous reviews )

Set up time from the ringing doorbell to switch on, no more than half an hour.

The wireless speeds in the previous flat spots around the house have gone from 12mbps - 25mbps to 40mbps-50mbps.

As yet no more dropouts even during our peak hour dropouts.

Receiving around 145mbps wirelessly in the hotspots of our house were it would never go above 100mbps.

Wired 200+Mbps ( yay Xbox and other gamers )

So as a Vivid Virgin customer I would not hesitate to replace your super hub for this Netgear router ( you have to keep your virgin super hub and use in modem mode )

Superb piece of kit
The Netagear Nighthawk X6 R8000 AC3200 Router is big in every sense - in performance, features and physical size - it measures 296mm x 227mm x 55mm and looks like something from a future world. I am not a networking expert but basically want two things from my BT Infinity 2 connection - good coverage and the highest possible speed although the maximum is 76Mbps.

In the box you get the R8000 router, an Ethernet cable, qutick start guide and power adaptor. Tihe unit is finished in black with 6 antennas that fold up from the case and a central row of LED indicators as you'd expect on a router, although you can disable them if you find them too distracting. A dual-core 1GHz processor powers the X6, supported by 256MB of DRAM, and 128MB of flash memory. On the back of the unit are 4-gigabit LAN ports, a gigabit WAN port. Two USB ports (one is USB 3.0). There is WPA/WPA2 support, dual firewalls and DoS protection plus a guest network facility.

The most innovative feature is that the Nighthawk X6 is Tri-band in the sense that it has a 2.4GHz band and two 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands - the idea being the 2.4Ghz takes care of your older devices (eg. 802.11 b/g/n), one of the 5Ghz bands supports your 802.11n devices with the third "fast" lane for 802.11ac devices. So a bit like a motorway traffic moves in each lane at an appropriate speed, so (in theory at least), no one is held up. The 2.4GHz band is capable of up to 600Mbps and both 5GHz bands deliver up to 1300Mbps each. Allocation of devices between the two 5GHz " lanes" is taken care of by Netgear's Smart Connect software which optimises the combination of devices on each band for you.

I found getting started with the R8000 is easy and you can download Netgear's Genie App to manage your network if you wish. I connected a mixture of 11 devices to the R8000 without a hitch. My immediate impression was that Wi-Fi coverage improved significantly, particularly in the conservatory, which had been previously been a bit of a WiFi blackspot. Also, the whole network felt as though it had had a shot of adrenalin - it seemed much faster and more responsive. Networks are not a strong point of mine but I had a go at trying to get some measurements. These were my results before and after installing the R8000 -

- Study - was 52 Mbps - now 71 Mbps.
- Conservatory - was 47 Mbps - now 67 Mbps.
- Upstairs bedroom - was 43 Mbps - now 64 Mbps.

There are plenty more features to explore on the R8000 and I'm not sure I'll get round to using them all but for a Simple Joe like me the headline fact is that both coverage and speed have increased significantly using the Nighthawk, plus, to be honest, I also thinks it looks the part too!

Big, powerful, feature packed and certainly not cheap, I really like the Nighthawk X6 R8000 from Netgear and think it is genuinely innovative. Recommended.

(I received a free review sample of this router through the Amazon Vine Programme).
VINE VOICEon 29 March 2015
This router has solved all the problems I have had with my BT Infinity internet. Wifi range wasn't great, only one gigabit port, and the random dropping of connections, mostly early evening. It was so darn frustraiting. Obviously, BT was unable to resolve my conection problems (actual conversiation from the call centre staff as I 'again' went through all their fault resolution checklist: "Can you take your HH3 to a friend or family member to try out there?" ). They would only sell me a HH4 or 5 (can't recall) at full price when again I renewed my Infinity 2 package. Instead I bought the (newer and supposedly better) HH3 Type B and the white Openreach modem off that well known auction site for £15. Also to note, the white modem is no longer a Echolife HG612, but a larger in size ECI FOCuS VDSL FTTC Fibre Modem (Rev.B).

Then the R8000 came along.

Let's face it, the Nighthawk X6 sounds and looks like a cross between a stealth bomber and a horseshoe crab. It supposedly packs more advance technology than the Gillette Fusion Dyson rollerball and has not one, or three, but six ariels. (Six!) They supposedly give the "Ultimate +" wifi range as well. Yeah, awesome. But what does it all mean?

Luckily all this technology is capable of sorting itself out without a degree in brain surgery. Using the newer white BT modem, IO spent a fruitless a couple of hours of MAN faffing, trying to get it all connected, and then I ruefully resorted to read the installation instructions and was online in about 20 minutes. The NETGEAR genie takes care of most of the setup (and then quietly monitors everything in the background). You can see at a glance what connections you have and modilfy / rename them for ease of use.

It's been over a week now and not one dropped connection or reboot necessary. Internet speeds are still the same (around 60MB/sec downloads), but the wifi connections are much stronger and reach down the bottom of the garden without resorting to a 56k crawl. I've got the R8000 flat on a tall drawed unit in the hall, though you can mount in on the wall. One nice thing, the top of the unit is a mesh, so all heat get dissipated (not that it gets more than warm). The LED lights aren't that bright, but there's a helpful switch on the back to switch them off if you want. Finally, all four ports out are gigabit and there's USB 2.0 & 3.0 sockets on the back for connection to backup device of media drive.

In the words of the not scottish burger clown, "I'm Lovin' It"
on 17 December 2014
This is a preliminary report. I expect to be updating it over the next few days/weeks.

Delivery:
I ordered the Netgear R7000 on Monday, it arrived on Wednesday. Very fast service, came earlier than projected.

Looks:
It is a very impressive piece of hardware. These antennas look very aggressive (scary?). I like the soft white lights indicating the different functions when the router is on; it is a nice departure from the "loud" red/yellow/blue lights routers usually come with.

As discussed in other reviews, the router comes with two different USB slots, one in the front, a second one in the back. This is handy, depending on the number of external devices one needs to connect.

As soon as I logged in from my laptop (by entering 192.168.1.1 on my browser), I was notified that there is a new firmware version. I agreed to update, it downloaded and rebooted, and I was up and running within 2 minutes again. Very smooth, did not give me any troubles whatsoever. Hats off to the technical team.

Performance:
I bought this router to replace Virgin Media's router ("hub"). Put it simply, the Netgear router blows the VM hub out of the water.

I tend to work on my laptop in my office, which is separated by 1-1.5 walls from viewing the router directly. In the old (Virgin Media hub) setup, I was using a 2.4 GHz signal (probably interfering with my wireless phone) and my download speeds would go up to 40 Mbs or so.

With the new router, I noticed that the signal strength increased very moderately: from -58 dB to -56 dB or so. Going from 2.4 GHz to 5.0 GHz did not seem to make a big difference here, with the exception that the 5.0 GHz is much more stable (I will occasionally observe drops in the 2.4 GHz signal strength - not sure what causes them).

However, my internet speed has significantly increased, e.g. my download speed increased by a factor one-and-a-half when using 2.4 GHz (40-45 Mbs to 65 Mbs) to about a factor of three when using 5.0 GHz (40-45 Mbs to 145 Mbs). So, I am obviously very happy with the new speeds.

This is a dual-band router, namely one can enable both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz options simultaneously.

I should be able to comment on the connectivity with a smart TV (netflix, etc) in the next few days.

Additional functionality:
There are several other things that I have not tested yet, but I am looking forward to putting my hands on:
- Setting up a home network and plugging in an external USB drive to be able to use as server
- Plugging an old printer and be able to access it wirelessly from any device connected to my home network
- Support for iTunes Server, Time Machine
- Parental controls, guest networks, etc

Summary:
This is a very preliminary report, albeit an enthusiastic one. Speeds have increased dramatically. Range & connectivity seem robust, especially for the 5.0 GHz channel. Looking forward to trying several more goodies (home network, wireless access to printer, etc)
on 28 September 2015
purchased the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 (R8000) it cost me over £200 which is like $305.
the first unit lasted a couple of weeks and then had faults so called technical support money was spent on calls only to realize that there product was broken until a decision was made to replace the product...
Broken unit was sent back and a few weeks later a new unit was received but when it was connected it up it didn't work, as it couldn't find/receive an internet connection.
Now I have 35 years computer/hardware/software experience I have been building/repairing them for 20 years and also know enough about setting up routers to know when there is something wrong with one.
When I tried to tell the support at Netgear they wouldn't listen to me only insisting on wasting my time and money going through all the settings, connections and usual, blah, blah, blah. I swear I am sure their main purpose here is just to keep us on the phone just to suck money out, because when its said that if the call gets cut off that someone will call you straight back, but in reality they rarely do.
Here is a list of calls made to Netgear and the cost those those calls were to me -

15/09/2015 08448754000 22:20:28 00:18:41 £3.13

10/09/2015 08448754000 19:43:13 00:27:13 £4.59

10/09/2015 08448754000 16:32:04 00:27:01 £4.58

10/09/2015 08448754000 16:23:32 00:04:09 £0.77

245.04 minutes = TOTAL: £35.64

Why should I be paying for support for an expensive product that does not work due to a manufacturing fault not once but twice!

After all this wasted time support finally agreed to listen to me and were prepared to agree that my my diagnostic tests were accurate but I had to upload a video to youtube first showing that that the internet port on the nighthawk X6 (R8000) was malfunctioned.
to see this video just follow this -

link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMxow_lytMw

Netgear use to be dependable, a company, a company that you could rely on and be proud to use but in truth today they are just another money only oriented corporation out to make a quick buck any way they can cutting corners and services at the cost of the consumers who always pay dearly.
At least with companies like GM motors & Volkswagen they hold their hands up when they are wrong and admit their mistakes, Netgear only buries their head in the sand and refuse anything is wrong which only goes to prove that - Netgear is selling substandard products with weak customer and technical support services to back those products up

I have had almost 800,000 hits on my flickr photoblog I will be putting up this account of my experience and also the video of the malfunctioning router to let other potential buyers know what to expect when buying Netgear or relying on thier support services.
I hope netgear do not remove this customer experience statement from the forums as there will be links to to it sent to various social media sources and it wouldnt look honest to remove it, infact it would only serve as an admission of guilt to the points I have made.

If anyone else has had a bad experience with Netgear please let me know.

For unit itself I will give 1 star because both units were broken.
I would like to also offer technical support 1 star for their inability to recognise a problem and offer the correct help the fact that they charge $ 0.30 cents a minute (20 pence) this is disgusting when the consumer has to pay hundreds of dollars for these units and to add insult to injury they only offer this for 90 days after that it costs $50 (£30) for a one time support.
Think of that like this when company's like TP-Link offer 2 years to life on their units.
A company that can only offer 90 days customer support which is the same as 90 days guarantee (as they wont support you outside of this unless you pay! No, With only 90- day's customer support they are proclaiming that these units are unreliable.

Thanks for reading.
55 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2015
The R8000 is an absolutely fantastic product and I wish I bought it sooner. It's soul purpose was to be the wireless heart of my new home, allowing me to setup a NAS via the USB3 that could be accessed throughout a 3 bedroom, thick wall, well insulated house. All devices can stream HD movies wirelessly without dropping any connection while other devices stream and/or download. I have wired connections to my Xbox One and Samsung UE48JU6410, both are able to access the media on the NAS drive with no problems.
I am a Virgin Media customer and the R8000 works behind the Superhub2 modem with no issues.