on 18 December 2012
I bought three units..all with the two extra modules....because of a promotion pricing but worst mistake ever.
There are multiple firmware releases and you'll be forever updating and rolling back in an attempt to find the most stable....and no..the latest is not the "most stable".

Internet drops out or goes incredibly slowly and if you don't subscribe to the UTM protection package you can't upgrade the firmware after the 30 days trial period.

I added a unit to my own IT set up as well as installed one at a client's production site and both have been the biggest pain in the derrier EVER. So much so that every time I get a call, I just know it's to do with the UTM9s.

Forget the online reviews from cnet and other places that review this based on a day or two of "testing".... go to the prosecure netgear forum and read the plethora of requests for help and solutions.

Avoid this product like the plague and go for a Draytek, Watchguard or SonicWall, otherwise you'll be running around like an idiot trying to fix all the glitches that crop up.

************************************************************

After months of issues, Netgear have sent me an external modem. No attempt to repair or get the item working as intended, just went straight to sending me a new modem which I now have to connect to the WAN 1 port...
on 12 January 2013
First of all, please be aware that the image is the "marketing" one from Netgear and depicts the main unit with the two optional modules installed.
The product sold here (UTM9S-100EUS) however does NOT include the OPTIONAL wireless and xDSL modules.
Still this device has 3 WAN ports: 2 GigabitEthernet and one USB for 3/4G sticks.
One of the 4 Gigabit LAN ports can be used as DMZ.
The LAN ports can use 802.1Q to implement VLANs.
There are Firewall rules for inter-VLAN traffic.
This is the feature that I was looking for.
I am using this device as a non-UTM firewall and I found it convenient enough compared to other UTM and non-UTM solutions.
I am upgrading from the Netgear FVS336Gv2 which does not support VLANs.
The other Netgear Firewall SRX5308 does support VLANs but not inter-VLAN rules (just a ON-OFF switch for inter-VLAN routing).
So I found useful to upgrade to this UTM9S even if I do not intend to use UTM features but just the classic firewall ones.
The only downside is that this unit is not fanless, however the noise is minimal.
I activated the 30 day trial licenses in order to be able to update the firmware.
Please be aware that, contrary to previous non-UTM models, you need at least a "maintenance/support" license to upgrade firmware. There are licenses for Mail, Web and maintenance and you can decide which and when to buy/renew (if any).
I have been using this unit for a few days without any issue and configuration is pretty straightforward and completely consistent with the FVS336G I was coming from.
on 3 July 2014
This is undoubtedly the worst router I've ever come across. The concept is great, but the implementation is negligent and unacceptable. Firmware with fundamental bugs gets shipped and released. Even now, after about 18 months, it is *impossible* to edit *some* of the firewall rules, and it will merrily delete a different rule to the one you selected. The previous version of firmware rendered all internet connections useless. The one before that has had its (paid!) anti-virus scanning disabled by Netgear. Earlier releases featured frequent crashes (plus up to 20 minutes restarting), and spontaneous and total loss of all configuration. If you are in any doubt as to whether you should ever buy a Netgear router, simply review the release notes on their firmware updates.

Literally as I write this, I've had another call from a remote desktop user reporting an unstable and unusable connection since the date of the last firmware upgrade. We will need to roll back to the one before last. This will take 45 minutes of downtime to apply, incidentally. Jesus wept.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2014
So I got this because of the high Firewall Throughput in hoping I can use it as a transparent firewall or at the least ask Netgear to add it as a feature request which may never happen along with the hope of IPv6. The firewall is terrible I have a Zywall 110 but needed another transparent firewall because of a problem that ZyXEL might not fix but to my point is the firewall in the ZyXEL is much better. As far as I'm concerned the UTM9S might as well be EOL if Netgear don't want to get the thing up to date if they want my subscription to update the thing and yes you get 30 days to update and thats it can't update the thing after that unless you get a subscription.

So I'm getting a Zyxel USG40 else where now and you should do the same if your reading this.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2012
Item not as described, no ADSL interface card, no wifi interface card, this item is just a mere chasis!!!

Bought this one for a project, but quite disappointed, as this one is simply a chasis, without interface card from Netgear.