on 8 August 2013
Too much 'musical' padding. Long drawn out and utterly boring intro by Griff Rhys Jones. Poor selection of verse read by a group of incompetent amateurs. Definitely not up to the standard I would expect from the BBC. A resounding 'thumbs down' for this one!
on 25 October 1998
While there are occasional glimmers, the book was rather a disappointment. Old favourites like the 'November Pig' are there but many of the poems beg the question of why they are included at all, especially some of the song lyrics. A reasonable selection of off-beam verse, certainly, but not the gem I had hoped for.
on 23 May 2011
This selection of Humorous Verse is excellent. Thoroughly enjoyable and is really funny. Some old and some new some heard before and some by well known poets. Pam Ayres and Joyce Grenfell brought back memories . Keep by and read to bring out a special smile on your face. Margie of Cheshire
on 22 May 2003
I sat in my local bookstore for a good half hour the other day just giggling at this book and recieving odd looks from other shoppers. This is great. OK, some of the entries are a little obscure, but I challenge anyone to read Roald Dahl's little red riding hood without smiling. Especially when it gets to "the small girl smiled, one eyelid flickered..." Pure Genius. This book is brilliant.
on 2 March 2015
A very good selection of very funny rhyme,
I bought it for my mother.
Now she laughs all the time.
on 4 April 2016
Not all of these poems are in fact "comic". Some are dark, which I do like, but not perhaps for younger readers. I mean, for example, I would not like to explain to a girl of tender years, how the poor but honest girl became ruined. On the other hand my grandchildren found Sam Magee's cremation dark but hilarious. Overall, perhaps a mixed lot.
on 28 July 2010
Some very amusing poems which my 10 year old enjoyed. Many are very "old english" and a bit complicated in theme for a child but there are enough to keep them interested and amused. The boys thoroughly enjoyed the more suggestive ruder poems!
on 30 April 2009
There is a good selection of comic poetry on offer here and is a good addition to `The Nation's Favourite Poems'. Some of the best comic poets are in there including Spike Milligan, Lewis Carroll and even Pam Ayres (remember her excellent little limericks on BBC1?). You've also got the likes of comedienne Victoria Wood right through to John Donne, who is better known for his metaphysical poetry, as well as some lesser known poets and Anons. Good anthology and good value.
on 21 April 2016
I was given this as a present & have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is s good in fact that I have bought two copies to give to friends! I think they will be pleased.
on 1 May 2014
my grandson is really pleased with this gift as he has an interest in poetry and has a great sense of humour so this compilation ticks all the boxes for him