on 27 June 2013
The game itself is very good. It runs very smoothly and is quite engrossing. There is good tactical play and the AI is a challenge on Hard. I love the Napoleonic period so this is a winner for me. On a laptop the menu screen is small though, sometimes it is hard to read the messages. No problem with graphics on the battlefield however.. All units are well depicted and the landscape is done nicely.

As for installation, it is not quite as difficult as others make out. Once you register with Steam online then you can install the game from the discs. This took about 30-40 minutes as the game is 20GB. Then, Steam will update it online. This does take time. On my slow connection it took about 3 or 4 hours. Once this is complete you can play without Steam as you set it to offline play.

I am just starting up my campaigns but I can say that this is a decent game, and a great one for wargamers.
on 11 October 2013
I have been playing PC video games for 15 years (started with GTA 1), and this game is the best game I've seen. Graphics are incredible, historical details are all true, uniforms are perfectly identical to what they were... Gameplay is excellent and you can spend days playing online.

You can play French, Austrian or British forces, all with historical troops. It is also a good opportunities to learn History, from Austerlitz to Waterloo.
Excellent game!
on 4 June 2015
seller posted it quickly, however i find the game play to be repetitive and boring, more often than not a unit stack of 5-8 is attacking one of your settlements at any given point, the AI is easily destroyed by cavalry, 2 units of lighter cavalry are able to rout several infantry units. Artillery has suitable firepower, although one could argue it still needs to be improved. The maps are very good and faction choices is moderately varied. A campaign under France is only about maintaining territory and maybe destroying the British navy and eliminating any chance of an invasion. All you need to do under france is fortify border towns and just wait for the riches to come rolling in. Diplomacy seems to be preset on the game with certain factions that just wont trade with you, even with a hefty sum of gold. Overall the worst Total War game to date, considering the time it was released. This is due to the repetitiveness and constant struggle for money.
on 15 March 2013
My 13 years old son loves this game. Great strategic game & makes a change to the usual Xbox games. Takes a while to download but worth it.
on 4 June 2013
I do like this game, but I do think it is beaten by 'Empire: Total War' simply because the campaign map isn't quite as big, you don't get the choice of many nations though
on 7 October 2012
Very good game from the total war series, the graphics are clear and precise. and the battles are great fun to enact.
My son plays for ages with this game along with some of the other total war games.
would recommend.
on 5 January 2015
This is a very poorly designed game. It takes over an hour to install from the disks and then you are forced to use some silly gaming system called steam which takes hours longer to set up and then tries to take over your computer. I was so fed up in the end that I could hardly be bothered to play it. In contrast the two other games that I bought at the same time - east india company and commander - were a joy to install and use.
on 27 August 2013
I have read some reviews that have said that the game has to be downloaded from the internet via Steam (taking ages) but others that have said this isn't the case so, with some trepidation, I ordered the game. Well you do have to set up or already have a steam account but once that is in place you have the option of loading it from the disk which is as simple as a normal loading. I can't understand what some of the comments are about? (67 yr old non-tech savvy geezer)
on 24 February 2014
Firstly, Steam makes the installation process a lot harder than it has to be.

Second, the actual game is rubbish, just like Empire Total War. The total war series went bad after Medieval II, I regret buying this and Empire total war, but with Steam you can't even sell games as they're locked to your account, so I'm stuck with them.
I fancied playing something akin in gameplay to Medieval II Total War, but set in this period of time.
on 26 September 2012
The game itself lives up to expectations. . .it`s Steam that`s the problem. If it doesn`t take forever and use mup all myour internet allowance then you`re lucky. No instructions regarding steam for us philistines and it really takes the enjoyment away.