on 26 August 2009
We stayed in Sorrento for 6 days in early August and purchased this pocket guide to supplement other information we had gleaned from the internet. Generally the guide is fairly accurate, and useful to give you ideas and start the planning process for each day.
Of particular value was the highlights section of Pompeii, which together with the map provided at reception, we used as the basis of our route around the town, a little difficult to folow in places but we managed and thoroughly enjoyed the exploratory experience.
One minor error in the guide (pg 96), the Curreri bus does NOT arrive or leave piazza Tasso, it actually arrives and leaves at the Circumvesuviana Station. After this inital confusion upon arriving at the wrong venue, we regrouped our walking route and were fine.
Our visit was a special date celebration, but our advice is don't go in August if you can avoid it. Its to hot, humid and busy.
on 24 September 2010
I brought this guide for a weeks' holiday in Sorrento. I was buying this on the presumption that the content would just focus in the areas of Naples and Sorrento, however the guide also gives a brief insight into the culture, history and points of attraction for all areas of the Campania region. The extra tibits of information which included public transport, suggestions for places to eat in the areas, and a rough guide to italian at the back of the book proved to be a worthy resource to carry on me throughout the holiday. The best part of this guide was the detailed map that came with the book, the map covers Naples, Sorrento, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum, Capri, Ischia, Ravello, Almalfi, it is detailed enough to show street names and points of interest.

I read this book before my week's holiday and although I didn't use it much during the holiday it proved to be good investment, as it ensured that I visited as much of the main attractions as possible. In such a small part of the country I was truly surprised by how much there is to do!
on 15 May 2011
I have just returned from a week in Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. This little guide was very useful and was small and light enough to be tucked in my handbag. The text covers the main highlights of the area and gives sufficient background information as a starting point. Although small in scale, the regional and street maps very helpful. An excellent buy for the money.
on 28 September 2010
I bought this book because we were going to Sorrento, however there was very little information about the town of Sorrento itself. I was also expecting a map and some useful details outskirts of Sorrento where a lot of hotels are situated but was disappointed. The book seemed to lend itself better to the tourist with a car. The sections on Capri and Ischia were helpful for day trips but did not give details of where the hot springs could be found in Ischia and although it mentioned the blue grotto on Capri it did not give it's location. On day ferry trips time is easily wasted trying to find these attractions and how to get to them.
on 21 July 2012
I purchased this book for a trip to Sorrento however there is very little on Sorrento in it, no more than the other towns in the region. OK for Naples but if you want a guide to Sorrento this isn't the one. Very misleading title,
on 20 August 2013
We used this book on a recent holiday to Sorrento. It had good historical facts and was useful for deciding on places we'd like to visit. A good size to put in your bag/rucksack. I've tucked it away in my drawer as we will go to this area again one day so it will be used again! I would recommend this book (and the area!)
on 26 October 2014
I found this guide very useful, small enough to put in my pocket and take out on trips without being too cumbersome. It's still big enough to contain a useful amount of information with maps of most places a tourist is likely to want to visit, including a large pull-out map at the back. It also comes in a sturdy plastic cover to protect it, which I thought was very good. The binding was also very good, and it did not drop to bits, unlike some guidebooks I have purchased in the past. If you want to read about the area in very great depth, this book would not give you enough detail, but for the needs of the average tourist I thought it was excellent.
on 22 November 2012
A lot of detail on history etc., but not very useful when you arrive in Naples and have no maps to find your hotel etc. - not useful at that level.
on 17 March 2012
This guide book has more information about naples much less on sorrento, the information is useful I used it in conjunction with another guide book, using both books gave me all the information I needed. The maps were clear but small and all the safety tips were useful. I felt it gave you snippets of information about various places, just not quite enough information to be used on it's own.
on 28 October 2011
I liked this guide book. Fairly small and easy to fit in a bag - man or woman. It was informative and contained some good pointers to the strip of coast around Naples. The map was very handy. I thought that it was good value for money - good tips, a couple of restaurants in each area and useful background info.