on 10 January 2005
I am currently building an XML Web Service as part of my Degree year project and have found this book an invaluable asset. I am totally new to Web Services and have limited programming experience but the author explains everything clearly and concisely and does not leave out those vital little steps as so many computer books do and which lead to you pulling your hair out in frustration. Having begged, borrowed and bought literally dozens of books on the subject I find this one to be far and away the most useful, particularly for those of you new to Web Services.
on 21 February 2010
Perhaps it was just me but I found the book a little hard to follow as a beginner to web services, and you need to read far into it if you want to overcome any potential problems (namespaces withing the @Webservice directive caught me out). For example the section on uploading the webservices to IIS is barely a page long, if it doesn't work first time then it's back to google to find out what's wrong.

I eventually gave up reading and after watching a five minute youtube video on creating web services I had made and tested my own.
on 3 April 2011
I've recently readed this book while travelling to and from work, and my goal was to learn more about Web Services, and precisely those that gave XML responses, so this book was a good candidate.

The book contains what it says: all about web services in .NET. This is good, because you can always have it as a reference book whenever developing web services. It covers SOAP, HTTP POST and GET protocols, ASMX web services and WSDL-created proxy classes, UDDI and DISCO files, state management, caching, session and state management, and even asynchronous examples.

The only "bad" thing about the book that I've found is the "STEP BY STEP" sub-header... At least in this book it means "complete examples in every chapter".
The book is 373 pages long (apart from the appendixes), at least one third of that being code examples. And of that 100+ pages of code, the majority is trivial basic WS code that seeing one is ok, twice maybe, but the third time you just skip to the bold part that marks the "important" code.

The authors could have avoided full samples from later chapters, instead only showing the relevant code snippets.

But anyway, as I started saying it is a recommended book to learn (or get deep into) .NET web services development.
on 20 February 2004
For a simple text format protocol XML can get very involved, however VB.Net hides all of this. Likewise wed services most be very involved, however VB.Net hides all of this too. VB.Net makes referencing a web service very easy, while writing them is a little more involved than a typical assembly. Luckily this book shows you how to get going from both the client and server point of view. People that want to know everything about everything could use this book as a primer and people that learn on a need to know basis can buy this as the be all and end all.