Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.53

Michael Buckley has the most creative mind around. NERDS is his second series of books aimed at kids, and the creativity is off the charts. The series follows a group of fifth grade misfits. They've been given abilities by nanobytes that they use to fight crime from a base below their elementary school. It's a wild ride that is a funny as it is adventurous. Yep, M Is for Mama's Boy is a great addition to the series.

The focus of this book is Duncan, aka Agent Gluestick. Duncan has developed a love of eating glue, so naturally his ability is to stick to walls and even the ceiling.

It's been a few months since the end of the last book, and the NERDS team has been very busy stopping super villains from taking over the world. Unfortunately, a super villain they thought they defeated is coming back. He and a hoard of squirrels are robbing banks. What could their dastardly plan be?

While the kids scramble to learn that, we are introduced to Albert, a middle aged man who still lives in his mama's basement. Albert loves comic books and dreams of being a superhero. Even without powers, he is using computers to fight crime without leaving the house. But when his path crosses the previously mentioned super villain, he is offered the chance to become a real superhero. Will he be able to do it without becoming an evil genius in the bargain?

As you can probably already tell, this book is over the top with outlandish villains and plots to take over the world. Yet somehow, when you sit down to read the book, you completely by into the entire premise and world. I realize this isn't realistic fiction, but I don't care. It's just too much fun.

What helps ground it is the main characters. While the entire NERDS team is around for the book, we really get to focus on Duncan and get to know him as a real person. I liked the sub-plot about his dependence on technology, and his growth at the end of the book was great. The rest of the team could be better developed, but I'm sure they'll be great when they get their own book.

As you might have figured out, the plot is over the top as well. This is James Bond material at his outlandish best. So, while things aren't that realistic, there aren't any plot holes. What is presented here works for this book. In a book trying to be serious, this plot would be stupid. Here, I loved it.

The laughs also make the book. There are occasional one liners. Some of the situations the team faces are pretty funny as well.

The story is presented as a series of transmissions, and between them, we are presented with some secret messages with different cyphers we have to learn. I could do without that most of the time, but it's just 15 pages or so of the 290 page book, so it's not a big distraction. There are one or two graphic novel style illustrations in each chapter as well. I found the book to be a very fast read, so I'm sure the target age of late elementary school kids will have no problem with it.

M Is for Mama's Boy fulfills the promise made from the first book in the series. I can't wait for the next fun, wild adventure with this group of spies.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 February 2011
Gold Star Award Winner!

5 nerds. 5 special powers. By day, they're picked on and are your regular, run-of-the-mill nerds. By afternoon, they become N.E.R.D.S., an elite group of super-spies who operate out of the school basement. Each team member's weakness gets turned into a superpower by an amazing computer.

Simon's braces turn into mechanical devices you can use for pretty much anything. Duncan Dewey's glue-eating ability makes him stick to walls. Ruby's allergies make it so that she can detect danger and dishonesty. Matilda's inhalers enables her to fly and blast enemies.

Their darkest moment, however, is at hand. When the supercomputer that grants them their powers gets nullified by an adult who works for Simon (Choppers), the team's arch-nemesis and former comrade, things get dangerous. Out for revenge against the super-spies, Simon is determined to use his mind-controlling powers to take over the world and finally give the NERDS the ultimate humiliation.

Can the five of them stop Simon without their superpowers - or are the world's inhabitants destined to become mindless zombies?

A great adventure for action and technology junkies. The characters are well-developed, and the plot is well-done and moves quickly. The gadgets are pretty cool, and the interactive nature of the book is done wonderfully. Those who like fantasy, adventure, awesome technology, superheroes, and spies will all enjoy reading M IS FOR MAMA'S BOY after they read NERDS.

Reviewed by: Kira M
on 8 October 2011
The is a very good book ,funny,amazing and very easy to read .I reccomend to any child over 7 years old .
VINE VOICEon 8 April 2011
I bought NERDS Book 1 for my son from a bookshop and he loved it so much, he'd read it in one day! I ordered this second book from Amazon, received the next morning, ( thanks, Amazon ) and my delighted son read this one in 24 hours too!
He absolutely loves the story and characters......only problem is.........where's book 3?????
on 28 January 2015
I bought books 1 and 2 for my son (11yrs) for Christmas. I have now had to buy all 5 books. He absolutely loved them and has read all 5 in just a couple of weeks. He was so upset to finish that he has started reading them from the beginning again!
on 16 July 2014
This book is histerical. I have read all 5 books twice, but to be fair this hsas to be the best of the lot. The caracters are wacky and the plot id unbelievably funny. I will recommend this boo to children between the age of 9 and 12.
on 30 March 2015
Not me making the comment, but our 11 year old grandson.reckons they were all really good !
Good stories as separate books but were a conjoining set of books
on 9 July 2015
A must get book i loved it amzeing fantastic please get this book of could not put it down you know the best book (get this book) (: (; (: (: (:
on 4 June 2014
I love the whole N.E.R.D.S collection and is definitely worth the money funny and has some great characters!!

GET THIS BOOK!!!!
on 31 March 2014
This is another great book by Michael Buckley. The NERDS series is a great bunch of books for all ages. I would highly recommend it.