on 19 December 2001
I enjoy painting and drawing, and this includes working on fantasy art. I am always interested in trying new things. This book gave me various ideas on what I could explore. It is very nicely set out and the quality of the pictures is really eye catching.
The thing I enjoyed most was the section on the art of Middle Earth. Some of the best examples of this genre of artwork is included in the Lord of the Rings selection. It was great to see the famous and terrifying scene of Gandalf facing the Balrog.
Of course no fantasy art book would be complete without dragons and this does not disappoint. All types of goodies can be found in this gem. The only sticking point is the size of the book. It should have been longer!!
John Howe is one of the most revered and popular artists working in the fantasy genre; best known for his now classic illustrations realising Tolkien`s world of middle-earth, this often tends to eclipse his illustration work for many other fantasy authors as well as board and computer games.

This excellent volume presents a fairly comprehensive overview of the artist's output featuring over 250 examples of his work - including rarely seen early projects - up to the date of publication (2001).
The book is in full-colour throughout; the illustrations are of a suitably high standard, imaginatively laid-out and accompanied by informative texts. There is a foreword by Peter Jackson and an appreciative afterward by another great fantasy illustrator, Alan Lee. Obviously, the book was released to coincide with Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" film trilogy as both Howe and Lee worked on the concept design.
My one gripe is the absence of any technical information on the work - no sizes are given, no medium stated - although most of Howe's work tends to be executed in watercolour, so it isn't a huge oversight.

A very nice book to have; inspiring if you are artistically-inclined, a nice diversion if you just admire fine fantasy illustration.
on 13 April 2015
Very good collection of art by John Howe. I really like to read it too. Very good book and a good bargain on amazon.
on 1 May 2015
a great book for anyone who likes talkien, or any mystical stories
on 26 February 2015
A great book. Made a wonderful gift which was much appreciated.
on 14 April 2016
Love the John Howe books
on 6 March 2015
Up to expectations
on 26 March 2016
It really wasnt what I thought it would be. It seemed like a bunch of (good quality) random drawings with or with out colour.

I got the alan lee book which I prefered.
on 19 November 2015