Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

A Mysterious Something in the Light: The Life of Raymond Chandler
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£19.46+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 24 June 2014
It is clear that Williams has done extensive research on Chandler’s life and has made every effort to put forward an accurate account of his life. His appreciation of Chandler is never in question but it is also apparent that he strives to be unbiased throughout. There are some genuinely heartfelt moments, especially towards the end, and it is clear that Williams is passionate about this project.
Having read Chandler’s works and having seen “Double Indemnity”, it is fascinating to see how these stories came to life and what was going on in his life at the time of writing. Certainly, I will re-read these books in a new way from now on. I am also more informed of how Chandler was personally, though he is not always shown in a good light.

Some parts did feel repetitive, though that is simply how it may have been in Chandler’s life; he starts a story, gets bored, and maybe begins drinking. Some parts are also assumptions on how things might have happened, though this is perfectly understandable in a biography since it is impossible to have all the facts.

Also, the copy that I had had pages stuck together. This may not be the case with all copies but I thought it worth mentioning.

In conclusion, this is a very well researched, informative biography written by one who has a great appreciation for Chandler’s writing. I was in two minds on whether to give the book four or five stars, but I decided on giving that extra star for Williams’ effort and for what I have learned from the book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again