Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 February 2006
Brilliant hardback book with an explanation of how to do each BSL sign alongside a cartoon picture of a little boy or girl doing the sign. Very pleased with this, at such a small price! Now want a version 2 for lots more animals!
on 26 June 2009
I believe it is important to teach toddlers how to sign when they are still trying to learn to talk. This helps to ward off frustrations in communication for them as well as for their carers! All of the Sign books are well done. Having signs for familiar words really gets the attention of a little one and they start making the signs too!
This is a lovely, large-sized board book with attractive pictures of animals accompanied by children making the appropriate sign for each, as well as a brief written description of the action. Each double page spread has pictures of 8 animals/signs and they are broadly divided up by type e.g. domestic pets, farm animals, minibeasts, etc (although there are no headings). An ideal starting point that's produced in the perfect format.
on 22 November 2010
I was very interested to view the books with the advertised BSL signs as I am aware that children are able to sign long before they can speak. However I was VERY disappointed to see this book is advertised as BSL when clearly it is not, on the back it says the signs are American. BSL means British Sign Language not American. This might be ok for a child who is not deaf and does not need to learn signing for his/her future but for a deaf child living in this country the signs are totally different for BSL. I would like to see the information for this book being much clearer about this. I don't want to be buying books for my son who is deaf and using BSL when the American signs are different. Very confusing.
on 8 March 2009
This is a lovely book to learn the signs for many animals, including those found on the farm, at the zoo or out in your garden. Baby signing is a lovely way to enable many babies to communicate before they learn the words. It often also helps baby to learn to speak earlier. The book is a board book with pictures that you can look through with your baby and it also explains in detail how to do each sign. This book is a good companion to My First Signs from the same series.
on 9 September 2012
I have been wanting to teach my daughter sign language ever since she was born, but I could only find books that were in American sign language.
I am so please I found this book! Unfortunately it is a little late, since my little girl is 13 months old already and I have tought her some signs that I managed to find on google and youtube or even made up myself, but I am so please I can now teach her even more signs! She just hit the age where she is interested in animals, so this is fantastic! The pictures are mostly clear on what the sign should look like, but there is a short descibtion next to the image, too. The bright colours and fun designs are appealing to my little girl. I am going to get second copies of these books (My first signs and my first animal signs) to give to our child minder who has never looked after a child who uses sign language.
This book and the others on its range are excellent value for money!
on 15 October 2014
very good little books we have a few of this collection now and will be getting more. Great way of communicating with the little one before they learn words.
on 17 April 2012
As the book has only a small number of pages I was worried it would only contain very few animal signs. But it covers all important animals and the signs are very well explained. On the back of the book all the basic hand shapes are explained separately which is very helpful. Would definitely recommend the book.
on 22 July 2014
My daughter loved this as much as me, and now we are passing on the love to my new cousin's baby, they love communicating, and teaching them to sign is a great step to great communicators. Gorgeous illustrations your child will love.
on 27 October 2013
l thought this would be a good introduction to signing however it was very difficult to understand as the graphic may appear cute in the picture the children hands a very small with little defination. Waste of money