Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 25 March 2014
I have been wanting this book for months and before it was translated in English, I considered ordering it in French and trying to figure out the instructions. Well, good thing I didn't, because the instructions in English are already quite confusing...

First things first - the pictures are absolutely gorgeous and adorable - it is literally the cutest crochet doll you can imagine. You have about 60 pages with the photos, you can see many of them in the "Look inside".

The instructions for the doll itself are okay, but for a total beginner they might be difficult. The details are missing, the instructions of how to attach limbs and hair are non existent, the scalp part got me totally confused (so I skipped that part and created the head as one piece). I say they are "okay", because I ended up having a VERY cute doll at the end, so something must have worked right (check the image gallery). The other instructions are also confusing, the suitcase sounds so complicated, I am not even going to try. As mentioned, no instructions on how to attach the hair, there are some different hairstyles in the pictures, some of them remain a mystery (using felt?). It is also a mystery for me how to shape the ankle and the wrist.

Apart from the missing instructions, a big problem comes from the fact that the yarns used in the book for the doll and her clothes and accessories are different from each other and although I don't expect a gauge in an amigurumi book, I don't like the fact that by using the same type of yarn and hook for the doll and her pants, the pants were huge on her. On the plus side I have now created two dolls of different sizes - the pants should fit on at least one of them :)

If you don't have experience with amigurumi, I would say that this book is not for you or you might get frustrated. The book can benefit by some step by step pictures and pictures showing how the different parts should look before attaching.

All in all, I am very happy that I own the book, but it could definitely be improved when it comes to the patterns.
review image
1111 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2014
This was an expensive book, although it does have delightful pictures of the dolls and accessories. The instructions are misleading and in many cases completely wrong. You would have to be reasonably expert at crochet to create your own patterns to match the photos. I have had to do this. This is not the reason I bought the book. If you are a beginner, beware.
on 1 April 2014
The pattern is lovely! But there are many errors probably due to being translated. So I would say it is fine for an experienced craftsperson but not for a beginner. There are also omissions in the patterns; no template or details for instance on the felt shoes for the soles...you can work it out but that takes time and is why you buy a pattern book!
on 21 July 2015
It's obvious from just looking at the lovely photos that the author is a great creative crocheter. However if you are buying this as a pattern book find something else. Unless you are an experienced crocheter and capable of creating your own patterns, (which I am currently doing) avoid this book.

So far none of the clothes I've made make up as shown in the photos. Even allowing for variations in yarn, (there are 9 yarns on the french list, only 4 on the english list.) the patterns don't accurately reflect the images shown.

The pattern for the underwear tells you to turn and work back and forth but the image shows something that has been worked in the round.

The shoes won't stay on the feet. The only instruction being... "make a little stitch on each leg to mark the ankle."... and if you take it further and stitch a bend into the ankle to hold the shoe on... the trousers no longer fit!

And if you get so far as to attempt an entire outfit, she can't wear most things together. For instance one outfit shows a jumper, jacket, trousers and boots. The jacket doesn't fit over the sleeves of the jumper... (The less said about the jumper, (which turned out to be a very tight tube dress)The better!)... the jumper doesn't fit with the trousers and the trousers don't fit with the... well you can see where I'm going with this.

Whether its the fault of the author, the publisher or the editor doesn't matter, the patterns are gibberish. Enjoy it for the pictures then move on and make something else.
on 21 February 2014
I love this book the instructions are clear and the illustrations very useful. There's plenty of room to create your own ideas and a great way to use up all those odd ball of yarn. I would recommend this book as I have had hours of fun making the doll and the end results are a delight for any little girl.
on 25 February 2014
Beautiful book ! I am a novice at crochet , but I found the instructions very easy to follow and have made a doll with clothes in no time at all , this book is a must !
on 1 January 2015
The pics are lovely and yes there are more pics than patterns. You have to be a bit experienced at least. You'll see that patterns don't always fit nicely and you have to be able to improvise. My main problem with this book is the the dolls's clothes are so tight that you have to pull the arms and legs real hard, so they grow longer and longer. Little girls won't be able to put on the clothes by themselves. Besides the accessories that are being used are not always easily to be found, so this also means you have to improvise. There should be better books.
on 19 February 2015
I wish I had read some comments before buying this book. There are many errors in my book and have had to work out some of the patterns myself. I tried to do the bear cub today and it totally doesn't make sense! I have made the doll which was ok, but there are many areas in the pattern where it says: ch, but doesn't say how many! I emailed the seller who was very helpful and will contact the publishers, I could have sent it back but couldn't be guaranteed a new one would be any better. All that said, I made the doll who is very cute, but am disappointed not to be able to complete all the patterns in the book.
on 18 January 2014
Great book. Loved the pictures and instructions, although not simple, are straightforward. Bergere de France have a great website which describes the weights of all the yarns in the book so it is easy to choose other yarns of the correct weight. Great purchase!
on 14 February 2014
This book is beautiful, but not for the novice you need some experience. PLENTY of patterns, beautiful photography. Those that have made negative comments about the dolls head have not read the pattern properly, it is constructed in two parts, head and scalp which are then sewn together. Go and buy this book