on 5 November 2013
This book was as expected. Some old stories, a lot of new content that has not been published before and an insight into Dora Saint, the author which I found very interesting. At 305 pages long it is a good read.
The voice of her final book , Christmas in Thrush Green, was totally different as it was done by Jenny Dereham and just wasn't the same. I will just have to keep re-reading all my collection again.
This is a nice addition for anyone who is a true Miss Read fan but feel it should be the last one now.
on 11 January 2014
I bought this book as I have always enjoyed the 'Miss Read' books. They are a great refreshing read after ploughing through academic books on the classical world. The short pieces here, some being repetitions from some of her books, were enjoyable but, at times, left one a little disappointed that the real book was not there.
With the title as it is, 'Mrs Griffin Sends Her Love', one could have expected the lady herself to come into more prominence. One very short sentence couldn't really supply a title. One can speculate, but how did 'Miss Read' see her? Her descriptions always brought characters to life, but here there is silence.
On the whole, I enjoyed the read, but would hesitate to recommend it to anyone who had not read any of 'Miss Read's' books. Had I read this as my first contact I feel I would not have looked for all the delightful books under the Miss Read name. I would not have ventured into the 'Miss Read' world.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 December 2014
I started reading the Miss Read books more years ago than I can care to remember and for the fan this is an ideal companion to the stories. Dora Saint was an educationalist and a writer who contributed articles and stories to papers and other publications as well as her Fairacre and Thrush Green stories. This is a collection of the other work of this author threaded together with a few biographical titbits. I found it an easy and very enjoyable read.

The articles and stories here are of various lengths and subjects although most revolve around village schools and the author's experiences in them. There is plenty of content and I enjoyed it all. This is not a taxing read but Dora Saint writes in an engaging and charming way about things that are true and from her experience. Her success comes not just from the charm of her writing but from the depiction of real people and situations - without that dept her stories and other writings would be superficial and easily forgotten.

This is a lovely collection, especially for the fan, with some fascinating writing in the manner that made her so successful. I received a free copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley.
on 4 December 2013
After the disappointing 'Christmas at Thrush Green' written by Jenny Dereham under the 'Miss Read' name, it was great to get some more of the 'real thing'. I disagree with the person who said there should be no more 'Miss Read' books. I don't think another one by Jenny Dereham would be a good idea, but I would like to see more collections of short stories and writings, such as this book, gleaned from all the magazines and papers she used to write for. I treasure all Miss Read's books, and they have given me many happy hours reading. This one is a welcome addition to the collection.
VINE VOICEon 13 December 2013
This book, celebrating Miss Read's centenary (Dora Saint was born in 1913) is a selection of her journalism from publications such as Punch, The Times Education Supplement and Country Life. Most of it concerns, of course, village schools.
Whilst it is attractively presented and most people will learn something new about their favourite author, its format means it is not as satisfying as a 'proper' Miss Read story.
on 22 November 2013
Village schoolteacher Dora Saint wrote many articles in the 1940s and 1950s about rural life, before she found lasting fame in 1955 with the creation of Miss Read as the narrator of the novel Village School. This collection of Dora's writings, from before the creation of her famous persona to the early days of the Miss Read stories, is interspersed with previously unpublished extracts from her letters and diaries. She captures the joys of country life and village schools in particular, as well as revealing how Miss Read was first created, in a piece written for The Countryman in 1978.
on 3 November 2013
Not quite what I had expected from a Miss Read book but have found it very interesting. Country life depicted differently in each chapter, and an insight into how Dora wrote her books, where the inspiration came from. Am now to the chapter where she describes the collaboration between her and the illustrator.
on 21 December 2013
I love this book and it has writings I have never before seen. The reason I have not give it five stars is because it does have a lot of already read excerpts for her previous books. However, I would highly recommend for avid Miss Read fans like myself!
on 30 December 2014
I wondered before reading this book whether it would be a cynical cashing in on Miss Read's name (remembering the appalling 'Miss Read' novel written by Jenny Dereham), but I was pleasantly surprised. The quality is mixed, hardly surprising since it consists of a wide range of writing over a long period of time, but there are some gems in it. About 10% of the material has been previously published in other books (mostly in Tales from the Village School) and some of the unpublished material was obviously 'borrowed' for her published books, but it is still worth reading for a keen Miss Read fan (I'm glad I waited for the paperback though, as I'm not sure it's worth the hardback price).

If you love Miss Read's books then I think you will find plenty to enjoy here. If you are new to her work, then I would suggest trying some of her earlier Fairacre or Thrush Green novels first as this book does not show her at her best.
on 8 November 2013
Brings back memories of my childhood in a similar school and village that she writes about. Have read most of her books really delightful and so accurate of those bygone years. A truly evocative read and journey.