on 8 November 2007
An excellent addition to the recent BBC TV series. Super photos and an entertaining text by Griff Rhys Jones. I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because of the lack of any maps to refer to as you read the book. In a book of this nature which is constantly referring to different locations all over the British Isles this is a serious omission, otherwise highly recommended!
on 12 February 2008
I never saw the TV series so I don't know what it was like. Superficially the book is pleasing. However, there are some major factual errors which marred my enjoyment. What worries me is that if there are so many mistakes that I know about how many more are there in areas where I don't have an expertise. There are some real howlers here:
"The Torridonian is 400 million years old" - it is at least double that, probably 1000 million years old.
"The Black Cuillins are granite" - no, the Red Cuillins are granite, the Black Cuillins are Gabbro. He does call them Gabbro later on but that's like getting sandstone and limestone mixed up.
"The big stones at Stonehenge were dragged from Wales"- no, the big stones, the Sarsens, are relatively local, the smaller bluestones come from Wales. If he had just said some of the stones came from Wales.
"The Honister Slate is 4 million years old" - Sigh, only out by a hundred times. It is round about 500 million years old.
You or your researchers need to get your act together Griff.
on 19 July 2014
Great series
on 28 January 2011
If you like Griff Rhys Jones and the television series then you will enjoy the book that was published for the series.