on 12 July 2010
I've waited a couple of months to review this, as I wanted to give it a long-term test first. I've used the monitor for about two months now, and overall am very happy with it.

Reception: No problems. I have the camera upstairs and to the left and use the monitor downstairs. The monitor picks up the signal quickly, and I've never had a problem with interference, even while using a wireless network and cordless phones.

Picture: Good. Night vision works well.

Sound: Excellent. Despite what other reviews here have said, I've never had a problem with the unit not picking up cries or noises. There is also a visual display that shows the noise intensity if you are hard of hearing.

Features: I like using the lullabies and the ability to control them from the monitor unit. Although you can hear them on the monitor, and the choice of five can become repetitive very quickly.

Battery life: So far, I've had no problems, although I only tend to use the system for maybe an hour or two at a time.

Communication: This is the one flaw in the system. There is a talk button on the monitor unit that allows you to speak through a speaker in the camera. However, it sounds like a public address system - it is very, very loud, and there is no volume control feature. It is more likely to frighten your child than to reassure them. If this could be fixed, it would be a five star review. As it stands, I'm giving it four stars.
on 2 September 2010
It is excellent to have a video monitor and I wouldn't go back to just audio but this model has been a waste of time. Our original monitor broke after about 9 months - think some of the LED bulbs went, as it worked perfectly during the day but not at night (great!). When it was dark it wouldn't come on at all and just beeped an alarm. Our replacement has broken after just 3 months. The on/off button works most of the time, the talk button works intermittently and the menu button doesn't work at all, so we can't adjust the contrast, light etc.

The picture quality is great during the day (colour) but is quite poor at night (black and white and fuzzy) so it can be hard to work out what you're looking at! At a closer range it would probably be quite good but as the camera can't be wall mounted we've had to place it on a surface across the room (about 2.5 metres).

The sound is poor. It hisses so much, we keep it turned down to its lowest (you can't turn it off) and use a different monitor for the sound. The sound can be set to come on only when a sound triggers it, but we found this impossible to use as on its lowest setting it was very sensitive and it made a loud static noise when it kicked in, which was every minute or so, whenever the baby moved and with every small background noise. (Both units were exactly the same with regard to picture and sound quality).

The parent unit is an awkward shape to pick up and difficult to grip. Also it doesn't last long when not plugged in, so it's not so good if you want to move it from room to room. The talk back function is quite loud and the temperature is 2 degrees higher than other room thermometers say.

If it wasn't faulty I would continue using the monitor (and continue to be irritated by the niggles!) but I do think, for this amount of money, the product should be far better. I won't be taking a chance on a third, I'm getting my money back and going shopping for another model.
on 30 August 2010
I have had this product for a few weeks now and am generally happy with it however a couple of points which need highlighting are:
There is no zoom function - would be useful.
There is no wall mount for the camera - where are you supposed to position it???
There is not a mute function.
The talk back is very loud, so loud it would frighten your baby and you can not turn the volume down on the baby monitor.

If these functions were added the product would be perfect.
on 1 February 2011
I bought this for my daughter and son-in-law as a present for my first grandchild due in April. Been watching this item for a while and kept coming back to it. The spec on this item is far superior to a lot of the others. Couldn't believe it when it dropped in price like it did, it is still full price in Babies R Us.

They have had no end of fun testing it out all over the house and familiarising themselves with it. In the words of the youngsters "It's a good piece of kit" their friends want to buy it as well now.

Buy it you won't be sorry.
on 29 March 2010
have had this since my baby was born, its great to have during her nap times, very clear picture, picks up even quiet sounds, best of all ... the night vision is great - dark room, but the soft glow from the camera means you can see baby clearly. has good warning alarm on the display which sounds if the camera is turned off. we think its great, no negative points.
on 4 June 2011
Works great until it doesn't. Just died on us for no apparent reason, camera intermittently shuts down, now seems completely dead. Before it died it was fine.
on 7 February 2011
I'm really pleased with this product. The picture quality is great. We get no interference from other wireless devices and trust my husband has a lot of these. My daughter loves the music feature. When charged the parent unit last for upto 4 hours. Definatly worth the extra money.
on 23 November 2011
After reading the comments i thought mine would work and that i would be lucky!!! It stopped working after 4 months and i only used it about 6 or 7 times! Cant find this product on any Motorola webpage, reading the comments most of the people have problems. I just wanted to know how do i get support? My video unit stopped working, the status light is red and green and it wount send any video to the receptor unit. I will never buy anything from motorola again!!!
on 11 March 2011
We bought this monitor purely because it had the largest screen. After two months we had to return it as it kept losing signal for no reason. We are now having to return the replacement we were sent, as the camera is now switching itself off for no apparent reason. However, I still think this video monitor is really good although I'm disappointed we have had two faulty ones. The picture image is great (camera is placed on chest of drawers at the end of the cot). Just a shame there is no option to have picture only without the sound at night when we can hear from the room just next door. We don't use the talk function or the lullabies so can't comment on them. I find the temperature gauge registers 2 degrees celcius higher than the actual room temperature but now we know this it's not a problem as we can work out the actual temperature and it's a useful feature. I've found the battery life really good on the monitor, I have it downstairs for day naps and it's fine on battery power alone. The camera and monitor are solid and sturdy and stand well on their own.
I am borrowing my sister is laws Motorola MBP30 at the moment and I don't like it. The screen is so small you can hardly see anything, the monitor won't stand up by itself and the camera is so light and flimsy I have had to weigh it down to keep it in one place.
I would still recommend the MBP35 to anyone on the basis of the screen size and sturdier camera and monitor than other models.
on 9 December 2010
I use one of these monitors for my little boy. We can clearly keep an eye on him in his bedroom from any other room in the house due to its large screen size.
The reciever picks up the signal quickly but sometimes it can hum a little for the first few minutes, It will also give off an audiable alarm if the camera power/signal is disrupted. I have found the audio sensitivity is not as good as an audio only type monitor but I purchased this for the video more than the audio.
The night light option is a good feature even though it will still produce a good B&W picture in very low light due to its infra red feature.
I have had no problems with interference from my Wi-Fi in the house and vice versa.
Both monitor and camera are well built...just as well for the amount of small knocks they have had from curious little fingers.

The downsides that stopped it getting full marks were the lack of volume control on the 2 way intercom, when you talk to baby through it, its like a PA blasting out scaring baby, the lesser sensitive audio pick up, that could be the speaker on the monitor so you tend to use the visual led audio level indicator. Also the price is quite high but all in all its a very good video monitor, with the big screen it does its job well, not as portable as smaller screens but easier to view.

See one answered question