on 27 April 2014
Walking train wreck Margie Peterson becomes a private investigator, despite having the organisational skills of a lobotomised chicken. Ignoring her filthy house, the "chubby" Margie palms her kids off on her friends so she can go out sleuthing. Although so dim she couldn't spot a clue if it hit her in the face, and in spite of encountering a ridiculous number of (not very funny) minor mishaps and accidents, she manages to solve the case(s).

In other words, a (very) light detective thriller, catering to the lowest common denominator. Make a reasonable holiday read if you really don't have anything else available.
on 31 July 2012
I was warned that this book might be slightly absurd.

I have to say the assessment was spot on.

However, Karen MacInerney serves absurd with a very satisfying side of `I'll have another slice of that, thank you very much.'

What can I say about Mother's Day Out? Dude, I don't even know where to start. I mean from this opening ...

After seven years of chiselling away at the petrified contents of Tupperware containers, wiping a variety of organic substances off of two small children, and cleaning up after an incontinent Siamese cat, I thought I could stomach anything.

I was wrong.

... to learning the MC--Margie--had recently started a new (and utterly absurd) job of P.I., to witnessing the boshup of the first job, and then being called to The Rainbow room ...

I'll stop there otherwise I'll end up detailing the entire book to you, and, man, there was so much, I doubt I'd remember to list it all.

Just know that this is one excellently woven together book. Sure there were a couple bits I saw coming when Marge didn't (or refused to), and sure there were a couple of predictable moments--but who cares?

From the get go, this book had me laughing out loud, snorting on my drinks, tittering like I'd had one too many ports, and neighing like a horse--all before I started to feel Marge's pain and followed her down a path no wife should ever have to stumble down ... and before I knew it this book was making me cry.

All I can say is the connection I felt to this character--for me to go from one end of the spectrum of emotion to the other--was nothing short of awesome.

If you love a mystery with the most unlikeliest P.I. EVER, who almost seems to fluke her way through every single discovery she makes and who joins the dots to figure stuff with all the smoothness of an Etch-o-Sketch, and with enough snort-worthy moments to have the family looking up and wanting to know what's tickled your fancy ... then, yeah, pay Margie Peterson a visit. You will not be disappointed.

In fact, the only teensy reason this didn't rate the full 5 was because of the abovementioned predictions I made, and because there were (a very small scattering of) typos (which didn't detract from my enjoyment of the read).

Would I recommend this? For sure!

(review of a copy received in exchange for an honest review)
on 8 June 2014
The characters are fun,interesting and likeable.The heroine who is a busy slightly overweight mum of two finds herself working as a private detective and tackling a variety of cases including a murder ,some of which are a bit too close to home.While investigating she finds herself in some strange and amusing situations.The plotline is intriguing and never dull and the humour and humanity in the book are first rate.I would recommend this novel and hope the author extends it to a series as I'd love to see more of these characters.
on 11 May 2014
Fast paced plot, good characters. Keeps you guessing. A bit like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum if she was married and had children.
on 11 May 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book it was well written
humorous ..likeable down to earth characters good plot a good read
on 24 April 2014
I have to admit I was a bit dubious when I first started this book. It isn't a sloppy romance thank goodness. I think we are all old enough now to know that the handsome hunks in romances are going to be self absorbed and needy. Margie was very ditzy and a little tiresome at first. But then the story got going and it turned out to be really very good and kept me gripped right to the end. Well done.
on 9 May 2014
This was the first "Margie Peterson" book I've read, but it won't be the last. It was ingenious and amusing, can't wait to start reading another.
on 9 June 2014
Different, refreshing, exciting..... see for yourselves. I didn't see that coming. Will leave you guessing all the way. Highly recommended
I’ve been reading and enjoying Karen MacInerney’s cozy mysteries for years, but I was hesitant to read Mother’s Day Out. Karen herself said it wasn’t in her normal cozy vein, so I wasn’t sure how I would react to it. I’m happy to say that I really did enjoy it.

Margie Peterson is a stay at home mom trying to help pay for her kid’s preschool, so she takes a part time job as a PI. Her first case ends in personal disaster when she loses her daughter’s favorite toy, a fry phone from a McDonald’s happy meal, after getting the shot of the cheating husband she was tailing.

But things go from bad to worse that night when Margie takes on a second case. Before the night is over, she stumbles over the body of a dead transvestite. Even more surprising is what she finds on the victim’s phone. Can she solve a case that has suddenly become personal?

If I hadn’t said this wasn’t a cozy before, you would have figured it out by now. Transvestites aren’t your normal cozy mystery victim (although I can think of one or two where it has come up). This isn’t a full on PI book or anything dark or heavy. I’d classify it as soft boiled with a strong humorous bent, in fact.

While some of the humor in this book is supposed to come from Margie embarrassing herself (which usually makes me cringe instead of laugh), I still found plenty to laugh at, including a scene with a cat that had me laughing out loud in the break room at work. While I’ve only read a couple of Stephanie Plum books, that was still the best comparison that came into my mind in terms of content and humor.

Of course, one of my complaints with Janet Evanovich is that her characters are shallow (just look at my reviews of the series she is co-writing with Lee Goldberg). That’s not an issue here at all. Margie is a fully formed and sympathetic main character. You get where she is coming from and why she does what she does. Her kids are realistic, her mother-in-law and mother both pains…. The list could go on. Really, all of the cast comes across as very real, and it’s hard not to wonder what will happen next to them.

Couple that with a wonderful plot. This may be Margie’s first case, but she is already a great detective. Oh, she has a few missteps, but they are completely realistic, and the way she puts things together at the end was great. Margie is clearly on her way to being a sharp PI, and I’m sure that will be developed as the series goes forward. I did have one issue with the plot as a Christian (being vague to avoid spoilers), but that is a difference in how Karen and I view the world and not something that will take away from most people’s enjoyment of the book. Truly, the mystery is very solid, and I was racing to the end to find out just what all was going on.

So Mother’s Day Out proves to be another winner from a talented author. If you are looking for a wacky mystery that will have you laughing and turning pages, this is the book for you.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2014
This was a very good little mystery and I enjoyed it greatly. It was a bit like the "murder, she wrote" tv series in book form but written better. I will certainly read her other books.