on 6 September 2000
I read this book whilst my wife was expecting our first child and I must say that I was absolutely fascinated by it. I kept glancing over the top of the book at my wife and trying to place her actions and reactions in the context of this book, in fact I started referring to it as "The Book." Maybe I am stretching the analogies too far, but I also see the actions of my sisters in law, my mother in fact most of the women I know mirrored in Hrdy's book. Sure there are inconsistencies, maybe some of the analogies are stretched a little too far and I have hard time believing that motherhood isn't a more complex process. However, the historical information is fascinating, the examples from natural history are also very interesting and the book is an easy read. I love this book and have sent copies to all the mothers I saw mirrored in its pages.
on 4 December 2010
I just loved this book - I found it shed light on many of my experiences in becoming a mother, and brought to the fore a more 'whole' mother, who is strategic, sometimes aggressive, and understandably passionate. I find evolution theory so meaningful in day-to-day life. This is a profound book.
on 3 May 2014
I read this when expecting my first child. It was a genuinely challenging read, at times I felt such despair at our human behaviour and at others such hope.