on 13 January 2011
I loved the William books when I was a kid, and rereading these stories, they are even better and funnier than I remember them. I read somewhere they were originally written for adults, not children, as a comment on the fashions, trends and mores of the time, and some of the vocabulary would definitely not be familiar to most 11-year-olds.

Just a couple of minor quibbles on the Kindle edition - where there should have been illustrations, it just showed the word "Illustration" and the caption, and the chapters didn't start on an new page. I notice another reviewer did get the illustrations, so maybe my Kindle isn't set up right (though I did get the illustrations in another book). Anyway, I don't want to be too fussy, given the book is free and, I gather, was put together by volunteers.
The William books were already 'vintage' when I read them as a child and had to be rescued from charity shops, so I wasn't quite sure how I would find these stories today - but to my huge relief they're just as funny, subversive and hysterical as I remember.

As another reviewer mentions, these books were originally written for adults, something which passed me by when I first read them, but which leaps to the eye now. William's good intentions, icy logic and sullen determination in the face of adults are a hilarious tribute to domestic mavericks everywhere.

If you haven't tried William before, then this is an excellent place to start - highly recommended.
on 2 January 2011
Readers who enjoyed the Wiliam books in their childhood need have no qualms about going back to them in mature age; like the best literature for children, they pass the test of time in both senses, over the decades and throughout life. There is nothing condescending about the tone: the readers are taken as seriously as the protagonist himself, which makes the comedy all the more irresistable. Orginal illustrations and(as far as I can tell)typography contribute to create an inviting time warp; I wonder what today's kids make of it.
on 10 September 2012
Came across this and remembered my boyhood reading and enjoying some 'William' stories on Radio 4 a couple of years ago. Just the thing for a coffee break - a chapter of this is just long enough. Many of the observations on society and politics are just as relevant today as when it was written between the wars! No sex, no swearing, no violence (well, not really) - just fun.
on 22 May 2013
I have just acquired a Kindle and decided to try a free book.The one I chose was More William,I used to read the William books
60 years ago and I remember laughing out aloud at his antics.I wanted to know if they would have the same effect now and I was not disappointed.Very funny and well worth reading.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 4 September 2011
Having read William books as a child, I downloaded this book of short stories out of curiousity. Although they're written for children, they're so well written that they can still be thoroughly enjoyed by 'grown-ups'.
Apart from the humour of William's antics, the stories give a wonderful insight into middle class living between the World Wars, where cooks, maids and gardeners are all part of family life.
Above all, it is almost impossible not to sympathise with our eponymous hero, as he drifts from crisis to crisis totally oblivious to the chaos he leaves in his wake.
If you've never read William, take a punt, if you have, try again. Whichever, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
on 29 June 2013
It seems to me as if the much loved and remembered Richmal Crompton had two versions of William in her literary noddle. There's William that most know - rumbustious, boisterous but with the resulting chaos never really looked for - but there's also another William not so likeable - deeply jealous, vindictive and malicious; this collection is mostly, sadly, tales of the latter. In most of this book, William breaks, steals and lies because he wants to, and I think, possibly, this is what another reviewer has also noticed in relation to his comment that this book didn't seem to contain the William Brown he remembered from years ago.

There are still some brilliant bits, whole chapters even (the Christmas one is excellent), but overall, not the best collection of stories from over the years.

Although it is also obvious across many other William tales, it's something you realise the more William books you read, it did not seem a priority for Richmal Crompton to utilise and maximise William's gang - its members of course, Henry, Douglas and Ginger aka the Outlaws; these do not feature here as such (at least not in 'gang formation'), and the only other character who threatens to scream to the power of three (minus lisp and without throwing up ensuing) is a young boy, Thomas, and not the one forever associated with this threat, Violet Elizabeth - this young lady is nowhere to be seen, but we do get Joan Clive, and she is a lovely support character in the Christmas chapter.

There are better William books than this, and better collections of previously published stories; this is ok, just about, but the other books are better as they feature a less wilfully destructive version of the boy.
on 30 August 2012
To be honest i havn't read the book of Just William, but i have seen the film, and it was ever so hilarious and incredibly FUNNY!!!!!!!! i was laughing my head off, even though i am only 11yrs old, i still GOT the humour. ( it's even better when it's the film) so yeh. every one of you who likes humour, then you should read the book or watch the film exactly like i did. so come on, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by,
Madeline T.S
on 15 February 2011
The book is advertised as being a 'TV tie-in', which it is, but the sheer quality of writing by the author belies how long ago these stories were written. You can still picture yourself in the text (I can, at least, because when I was growing-up, we had a gang just like William's) and it takes you back to a time when boys could still be boys, and political correctness wasn't even thought-of !
Excellent value, and having checked availability of any 'Just William' books from our County libraries, about the only way that you can access the books.
on 11 May 2013
the William books are classics - even after all these years they still make me laugh - I really enjoyed the read - over 50 years since I first read them - a real tonic to cheer you up.