Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Sep 2012 21:31:19 BDT
downkiddie says:
I see "The Stone Tape" is being released under the "Ghost Stories from the BBC" brand. I wonder if the surviving "Dead of Night" episodes might follow... even "Schalken the Painter"??

Please, BFI/BBC!

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 19:34:33 BDT
Ski Racer says:
Makes you wonder if this is the best time to order, or should I wait to see if a more complete set comes out.....I would really love to have Schalken the Painter included in this set. Also if the BBC is reading this, please could you dramatise Robert Aickman's work? What a superb horror story writer!

Posted on 16 Oct 2012 13:20:32 BDT
T. Davies says:
Once again we have people "reviewing" products that haven't been released yet! Why do Amazon allow this? I notice they don't allow "pre-reviews" of their yet to be released Kindle products so it can't be rocket science to stop this nonsense.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 17:01:50 GMT
R.L.S says:
Indeed, Robert Aickmans Ringing the changes would make a magnificent television production if adhering closely to the storyline.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2012 11:08:53 GMT
Wasn't there a television adaptation of 'Ringing the Changes' in the late 1960s, retitled 'The Bells of Hell' or something along those lines?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012 20:44:00 GMT
R.L.S says:
Have no recollection in relation to what you relate to, but what i would say in relation to the current topic is, i sincerely hope the BFI would seriously consider if at all possible to produce and make available to the discerning " Nightmare the birth of victorian horror" superbly presented by professor Christopher frayling.

Posted on 8 Nov 2012 20:25:11 GMT
Butch says:
I watched The Stone Tape on YouTube on sunday. It looked like an old vhs recording though so the quality wasn't great. It'll be great to watch it again in better quality on dvd.

Posted on 17 Jan 2013 16:28:47 GMT
David says:
Does anybody know if there are any plans to release the BBC series Ghosts on dvd. It would be nice to watch this series again.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2013 14:53:31 BDT
horrace says:
In what way does your comment relate to the 'More BBC ghost stories to come' discussion T. Davies ?
And even if it did aren't you being a bit of a killjoy - if someone is enthusiastic about something they've seen on telly why can't they share that (spoiler free of course) - if they change their mind after viewing it they'd want to amend/delete their post anyway !
And as regards to "rocket science to stop this nonsense" maybe there's a few things you haven't thought of - even after the release date how do you tell that someone's actually bought or even watched something ?

Posted on 24 Apr 2013 19:46:23 BDT
T. Davies says:
Hi Horace,
Like so many other people leaving their comments on here you obviously don't understand what the point of the Amazon Product Review section is all about so let me explain.

A product review is a review of a tangible product. Simple. Now, that product may be a DVD of a TV program or it may be a vacumn cleaner (for instance). So, if you was looking to buy a particular model of a Hoover vacumn cleaner, would you be enticed to buy it if someone in the review section said something along the lines of "Oh yes I saw this one in a shop once and we used to have a Hoover years ago and it was very good so this one must be also so I'll give it 5 stars"?

I really have no problem with anyone enthusing over a particular program that's been on TV or a film seen at the cinema; I do so myself, but there are other excellent internet forums and chat rooms where like minded people can discuss them. But this section is for people to give their feedback on something they have or have had in their hands to explain to would be purchasers the pros and cons of it. If it's a DVD for instance I should like to know what the transfer quality of the picure and sound is like, whether it comes with extras, the packaging etc. That's the kind of information that will help me and others decide if it's the kind of thing I want to spend my cash on.

And lastly Horace, regarding your remark about not knowing whether someone has bought it or not, that's why Amazon introduced the "Verified Purchase" remark at the beginning of every "review".

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2013 20:07:17 BDT
horrace says:
That's as maybe but this isnt a review section - simple as that !

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2013 20:15:17 BDT
T. Davies says:
Fair play Horrace. It's so long since I left my earlier comment I'd got confused.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2013 20:27:11 BDT
horrace says:
Still think you're being a bit harsh but think we'll have to agree to disagree.
And about the bought it or not question - your suggestion will work but only for people who've bought on Amazon and that would exclude people who might have bought elsewhere - by all means use (as I do) the verified purchase to give more consideration or weight to a review but I think you get that from reading it anyway.

Posted on 24 Apr 2013 20:38:31 BDT
T. Davies says:
You are of course right again, in fact I myself have left reviews on products sold on Amazon but purchased elsewhere. But I can honestly say I have never left a review of a product I don't own which is why I feel so strongly about "reviews" of unreleased products.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  27 Sep 2012
Latest post:  24 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Ghost Stories for Christmas - The Definitive Collection (5-DVD set)
Ghost Stories for Christmas - The Definitive Collection (5-DVD set) by Sir Michael Hordern (DVD - 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (67)