Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2010
This is the 9th and final Riley Jenson book from Keri Arthur. Riley has grown a lot though this series. She's learnt to do what she must in order to survive, but she's never been comfortable with what that might mean for her. She doesn't much like what she's become. But she can't just walk away from the Directorate. After the events of the previous book, Bound To Shadows, she's become more unsure of herself than ever.

This series took a while to grow on me. I didn't particularly like the first 3 books, and gave up on it for a couple years. But I did eventually pick it back up and I'm very glad I did. I've come to love Riley as she's grown and changed, and I can't help loving her reluctance to become the killer the Directorate wants her to be. The ending of Bound To Shadows was harsh and left me hanging. It left a lot to tie up in this final book and my hopes for it were high. Happily, it wasn't a let down in any way.

The story picks up a little while after the end of Bound To Shadows with Riley just returning to work. It doesn't take long for things to take a turn for the worse, but I so did not see what happened coming. It was a very different idea to anything I'd have predicted, and I think it works very well. Riley's past is haunting her, but not exactly the past she expected to. With the turn of events, it led to some interesting problems. The plot flowed smoothly and quickly, and I felt the up and down ride with Riley pretty cleanly. I don't want to go in to details and spoil anything, but I will say that I truly loved the ending. It had me tearing up and it was just perfect. And can I say that I just adore Rhoan and Liander? They are awesome. And I finally love Quinn too. It took 9 books, but hey, I got there in the end. I'm sad to say goodbye to Riley and the rest now, but at least the series ended on a high. This is my favourite Riley book for sure, I had a lot of trouble putting the book down. Threads that had been left from several books ago were picked up and tied off nicely, as well as some newer ones. Things were left neat enough for the end of a series, but not so neat you can't imagine more happening with the characters in the future.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, despite being sad that Riley's series is over. I'm really looking forward to Keri's spin off series featuring Risa (Dia's little girl) when it comes out. I know she's mentioned that Riley and her team will make the odd appearance so as much as I'm looking forward to Risa's story, I'm looking forward to just a little more of Riley too. I loved this book and while I'm sure this series wouldn't be for everyone, I'd still really recommend it. And if you loved the previous Riley books, then this is clearly a must read.
The Riley Jensen Guardian series comes to an end with this really great tale, starting about 3 months after Bound To Shadows ended, and with a very poignant scene in which Riley says a final goodbye to Kade, but from then on, Riley's straight back into the deep end of things.

She gets called to a mission where someone has been killed by a red demon with claws and her chat with the deceased's soul and her investigations lead her to a whorehouse where she is injured quite badly and begins to fade before the Directorate can get anyone to her; we then see how her bond with Quinn works - as soon as he senses that she is in trouble, he starts driving towards her, but then realising that she is fading faster than he could ever hope to get there, Quinn turns to his Aedh side and abandons his car and reaches her just in time. It was touching and romantic scene, and Quinn was so drained physically as well as emotionally, and had put his own life in danger to save hers. They drive off home, with Quinn following Riley in his car when out of the blue, she gets shunted by a huge lorry, manages to get out of her car, though, only to watch in horror whilst the lorry then deliberately rams and rolls Quinn's car, crushing it. She tries to get to him, but is hit by several darts and all fades...

When she comes to, Riley has no recollection of who she is, where she is or who the people around her, but she hasn't lost her instincts and the case that she was investigating seems to have followed her to Dunedan, an entirely were-territory. I'm not going to elaborate here, other than to say that the plot was very well conceived and thought-out, so much so that Rhoan, Jack, Liander and even Quinn truly believed that Riley was dead.

Yes, Riley and Quinn get their HEA, and the commitment that Riley makes to Quinn is such an emotional moment, totally the one that I'd been rooting for all along. I so loved how despite Quinn being her heart but supposedly not her soulmate, she committed to him in every way possible, choosing the significance of full moon to do so.

For me, whilst the Riley tales have always been great paranormals, the underlying romance between Quinn and Riley is what made the books, and at one point, I did think that possibly they wouldn't ever get their HEA, based on their natures. This series SO went out with a bang, and I am looking forward to the start of the connected tales featuring Risa, who pulled Riley back from the brink in Bound To Shadows. I am unsure whether we'll see Riley and Quinn in those, but given that the little girl is the offspring of an absentee Aedh parent, and needs Aedh guidance, good old Quinn has to be on hand to help, doesn't he?...Pretty please?!
on 5 July 2010
This book is by far the best in the Riley Jenson series - the plot was fantastic and moved quickly. It kept you guessing and trying to figure the whole thing out and I was never bored.

If im honest the Riley Jenson series has not been a favorite of mine despite having read all the books. Ive never liked Riley as a character; throughout the series she has just been an enourmous slut. I get the concept - they are werewolves/sex is different for them/they have no control or whatever - either way it doesn't work for me and as a result this series was spoilt by a werewolf that dropped her knickers for everybody and everything. Thankfully in this book that has finally changed and she was only with one guy. (But then I don't really like Quinn either). However the criticism this time was that Riley was sort of whiny for a while about the soulmate thing from bound to shadows and this was pathetic. Be sad for Kade - yes; Be sad for the guy who shot him, made your life miserable and threatened to kill your brother - no.

This book was the best because it focussed on the amazing plot and figuring out the mystery which I have loved in all the books and has been the reason Ive kept reading this series. This time I got to enjoy one of these books without being too irritated by Riley and the series totally finished on a high with all the loose ends tied up. It was a really happy ending which was nice but I can't say it had me all emotional but then again I hate the two main characters so that was no real surprise. Im not sad this series is over but this book definately made reading it worthwhile - it really was brilliant. (I only deducted one star because of my personal dislike of Riley plus her and Quinn together just grate on me).
on 8 July 2011
Book 9 (and I believe the last book) in the Riley Jenson Guardian series. Ms Arthur is currently writing a spin off from this series introducing Risa as a main character.
This was a great end to a good series. I had started to lose interest in the series about 3-4 books ago because they seemed to be purely sex focused. I'm glad I hung in there and stuck with it because it picked up and focused on the story more in later books.
The only thing that put me off was all the self-loathing at the beginning and the 'woe is me, I killed my soul mate'. I get that that's a BIG thing in these books but it was kind of off putting and made me want to skip right to the exciting bits, luckily for me, Ms Arthur doesn't keep us waiting too long.

Overall, the book is funny and intriguing. Made me keep reading because I do like Riley as a character and I like reading her life and quips and relationships. Especially her relationship with her brother (who I also love). If you've read the others or even started this series and gave up, I strongly suggest finishing the series the way it was meant to be finished.
on 10 July 2010
well, what can I said. A totally fabulous way to close out the series and what a way to go. Don't want to say too much as "spoilers" totally bug me!
If you are a fan of Riley Jensen and the Directorate you will know what I mean and will have read it already. Now waiting to see if anyone will pick up the rights of Riley and make it into a TV series, definitely and after the watershed viewing special ;-}
on 13 August 2010
best ever riley jenson book it brings every thing together i really enjoyed this book couldnt put it down.
on 5 August 2010
I enjoyed the series for what it was but i think with the last book she've still left it open for 1 more book.I think it was trying 2 be 2 much like the Anita Blake series for book's but not getting there.From early on in the series you could tell who was out 2 get them.So if you haven't read the Anita Blake book's 1st then read this series before you do.
on 17 December 2012
I have read all the Riley Jenson Guardian books from the library and have loved all of them. They make a good film.

Book brought as a replacement for one lost. Service was quick and quality of book very good as library expected it!!
on 13 March 2015
Even the second time around. I read this book virtually non stop from start to finish. I can't say enough on how much I love this series. If you have enjoyed Riley's exploits so far then 'Moon Sworn' is a must buy.
on 11 September 2013
Sorry to see the last page. Very good overall series , would love for it to carry on in one or two more books. This is due to the ending and I want to know what happens.